Fastest practical CPU for P4T-E

Old May 17th 05, 04:48 PM
_|_|_

Default Fastest practical CPU for P4T-E

I'm using a P4T-E for my Internet machine. Currently running
Northwood 1.6Ghz with 1.5GB Rambus. Given that browsers and
downloading tools are getting more CPU and Ram-hungry, I
was thinking about speeding up the machine.

Ordinarily I'd just opt for another motherboard, but since this
already has 1.5 GB Rambus, it doesn't warrant swapping the
motherboard. Given that Rambus is at a dead end, I hate to
buy more ram too.

So...in general, how much benefit could be had from a faster
CPU...Say 3Ghz? (Subjective, I know...a wild guess is fine).
And how fast a CPU will the P4T-E accommodate? I guess
I'd have diminishing returns given the 400mhz fsb, so I'm not
looking to go beyond 3ghz (if that's even possible).

Old May 17th 05, 05:42 PM
Brian Campbell

Get your cake and eat it too! Sell that rambus! With the money you get
from the rambus, uoi can get a motherboard and ddr ram!

Old May 17th 05, 06:20 PM
Paul

In article , "_|_|_"
wrote:

I'm using a P4T-E for my Internet machine. Currently running
Northwood 1.6Ghz with 1.5GB Rambus. Given that browsers and
downloading tools are getting more CPU and Ram-hungry, I
was thinking about speeding up the machine.

Ordinarily I'd just opt for another motherboard, but since this
already has 1.5 GB Rambus, it doesn't warrant swapping the
motherboard. Given that Rambus is at a dead end, I hate to
buy more ram too.

So...in general, how much benefit could be had from a faster
CPU...Say 3Ghz? (Subjective, I know...a wild guess is fine).
And how fast a CPU will the P4T-E accommodate? I guess
I'd have diminishing returns given the 400mhz fsb, so I'm not
looking to go beyond 3ghz (if that's even possible).

Powerleap sells 2.8GHz/FSB400/512KB for $162.
It will go 2.8/1.6 times faster (when not limited
by the FSB).

http://www.powerleap.com/Processors.html

Paul

Old May 18th 05, 02:42 AM
NomoreRGS

The Asus site still says 2.6 GHz. I upgraded my P4T-E CPU from 1.9
to 2.6MHz a couple of years ago and the BIOS to 1007. It works great.
It also over clocks to 120% of the FSB (BIOS setting) with my cards.
My old cheapo video card (32M or 64M can't remember) only allowed the
system to go to 110% safely. At 112% the system would often hang.
I leave it at the correct 100% setting unless I expect to do something
very demanding.

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Old May 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
_|_|_

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:42:10 +0000, NomoreRGS
wrote:

The Asus site still says 2.6 GHz. I upgraded my P4T-E CPU from 1.9
to 2.6MHz a couple of years ago and the BIOS to 1007. It works great.

I believe my BIOS is flashed with v1008. Maybe it was a beta or
perhaps just available on one of their overseas sites (I'm thinking
Germany). Is there any reason to use 1007 instead?

Old May 23rd 05, 02:48 PM
_|_|_

wrote:

The Asus site still says 2.6 GHz. I upgraded my P4T-E CPU from 1.9
to 2.6MHz a couple of years ago and the BIOS to 1007. It works great.
It also over clocks to 120% of the FSB (BIOS setting) with my cards.

I just realized...If you installed a 2.6ghz CPU w 400fsb, then
overclocked by 120%, you would have been running your main
clock at 3Ghz, right? I haven't seen many 2.6ghz 400fsb CPUs,
and was just wondering if 2.8ghz/400 would work. If you had good
luck at 3ghz, I suppose it would...especially given that the main bus
wouldn't be OC'd.

LL
Old May 24th 05, 02:24 AM
NomoreRGS

From what I remember BIOS v1008 is beta. I bet it will work fine
though.

Looks like the link from Asus I posted before doesn't work correctly.
I guess you have to drill down from a higher level page selecting
motherboard, socket478, p4t-e.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

I thought the 2.6 was the fastest 400MHz FSB CPU Intel made. I think
there is a Celeron 2.8-400. I haven't been keeping up with hardware
lately so I'm lagging behind. My PC runs well and suits me fine until
much faster hardware is a available. Then I build something new
again.

There is lots of over clocking info available for this board when
searching on the net. I have saved some links below that I found
helpful.
http://www.cifi.com/computing/p4teoverclock.html
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=3
http://www.aceshardware.com/
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

Over clocking depends on many things. The CPU, memory speed, the
brand of clock generator chips, the cards in the PC and probably some
other things. My memory is a pair of Samsung 256M PC800-40 and also a
pair of PC800-45 for a total of 1G. Memory is running at 4x and both
the memory and CPU setting are controller through the bios.