Looking for removable drive drawers that don't change to continually force new purchases

Old March 6th 04, 07:28 AM
Davide Bianchi

Default Looking for removable drive drawers that don't change to continually force new purchases

In comp.os.linux.hardware Larry Alkoff wrote:
Typically after a year or so when I need more the manufacturer has
moved the socket location 1/4" or so ensuring the old drawers won't
work with the new. There is no reason for this except to force
hardware upgrades and it really sucks.

I've always *built* myself my drawers, isn't difficult, just a matter
of twisting some piece of metal and drilling some hole. The lock/
release mechanism can usually be adapted or 'improvised'.

Davide

Old March 6th 04, 08:32 AM
Justice Gustine

Larry Alkoff wrote:

What I'm looking for is a company that doesn't change the physical
drawers simply to force upgrades. Anyone know of such?

I've found the same bay inserts on eBay, probably being unloaded by
someone else who had to go out and but a set of new ones.

--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge
Old March 6th 04, 06:11 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Larry Alkoff" wrote:

Ebay is a good idea but two problems:

The box they came in has no company name - just Mobile Rack.
It's made in Taiwan.

Although there is a label that says
Removeable HDD Mobile Rack
IDE 40 pin, 2xLED
Keylock only
the label gives no indication which series it is.
I know of 5 different racks, each slightly different.
Sometimes the drawers will slide in but not mate with the other series
connector and sometimes not in at all.

That's why I'm looking for a good company that takes care it its
customers instead of screwing them.

The best known name in the removable drive tray market
seems to be Kingwin. All their racks and trays are made of
aluminum (not plastic), and they probably have what could
be called the "quality" product. But the photo of their packaging
shows "Mobile Rack". Check out their website:
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_Cat.asp?CateID=25 for racks,
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_Cat.asp?CateID=35 for trays .
But since Asia is the counterfeiting capital of the world, what
you have might be a counterfeit Kingwin. Is it plastic by chance?

*TimDaniels*