P4C800-E Deluxe and slow IDE?

Old October 20th 04, 02:16 AM
j2

Default P4C800-E Deluxe and slow IDE?

I installed XP Pro on my new PC (3.2GHz Northwood, 1GB PC3200RAM Dual
Channel and a 200 and a 120GB Drive hanging on the onboard normal IDE
controller).

First thing i did after install was to install the Version: 6.0.1.1002
Intel chipset INF utility. But it doesnt seem to "take".

If i look into Device Manager, i can see that Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA
Storage Controller is still version 5.1.0.1009? I tried step 9C in the
readme for the chipset inf util, but i do not get windows to accept my
unpacked files as a "valid" installation source (the OK-button is
greyed out).

Then funny thing is that drive access seem slow. 10 minutes to copy
2GB between the drives, system coming to a halt.

I have checked BIOS (Dated 10/14/04) and drives are at UDMA-5, with
32bit transfers enabled.

So, WHY is my system so much slower now then when i had a QDI-mobo
with 845-chipset, and a 2.4GHz CPU?

A EVEREST report of my system is available on
http://statler.mupp.net/Report.htm if anyone is interested.
Old October 20th 04, 03:30 AM
sheer

"j2" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Have you set the drives as master and slave correctly if on the one ide
channel. Make sure they are NOT set at cable select. Are you using an 80
ribbon cable and not a 40 for the hard drives?

I have the same board and I am running version 5.1.0.1007 of the 82801EB
Ultra ATA Storage Controller and seems fine.

Let us know how you go.

Old October 20th 04, 11:32 AM
j2

"sheer" wrote in message ...

Have you set the drives as master and slave correctly if on the one ide
channel. Make sure they are NOT set at cable select. Are you using an 80
ribbon cable and not a 40 for the hard drives?

Yep. Triple-checked both points.

I have the same board and I am running version 5.1.0.1007 of the 82801EB
Ultra ATA Storage Controller and seems fine.

Let us know how you go.

The strange thing is that i packed 4GB of pseudo-random-data (from
/dev/random on a *NIX-box) and packed it using "best" compression in
winrar. Unpacking the file makes my CPU-load rise no higher then 2-4%
and it takes an hour(!) to unpack the file.
Old October 20th 04, 12:23 PM
sheer

"j2" wrote in message
m...
"sheer" wrote in message

Have you set the drives as master and slave correctly if on the one ide
channel. Make sure they are NOT set at cable select. Are you using an 80
ribbon cable and not a 40 for the hard drives?

Yep. Triple-checked both points.

I have the same board and I am running version 5.1.0.1007 of the 82801EB
Ultra ATA Storage Controller and seems fine.

Let us know how you go.

The strange thing is that i packed 4GB of pseudo-random-data (from
/dev/random on a *NIX-box) and packed it using "best" compression in
winrar. Unpacking the file makes my CPU-load rise no higher then 2-4%
and it takes an hour(!) to unpack the file.

This is really strange. I just did a test on my system and I have exact same
problem. I tried moving a 1.5GB video file within an IDE drive and it is
telling me over 6 mins, but when I move it to one of my SATA drives it takes
less than 30sec!
I hope someone can tell us why because I never really have noticed it before
as I use my SATA drives for storage and an IDE for OS!

Old October 20th 04, 11:04 PM
j2

"sheer" wrote in message ...

This is really strange. I just did a test on my system and I have exact same
problem. I tried moving a 1.5GB video file within an IDE drive and it is
telling me over 6 mins, but when I move it to one of my SATA drives it takes
less than 30sec!
I hope someone can tell us why because I never really have noticed it before
as I use my SATA drives for storage and an IDE for OS!

Well, atleast i am not the only one then. Mega wierd..

How hard would it be (drivers and stuff) to transfer a system to SATA?
Would be fun to test.
Old October 20th 04, 11:32 PM
John Blaustein

I don't know if the following helps with your research, but I did a test...

2 HDs:
WD SATA 120GB -- C: Windows XP Home
WD EIDE 120GB -- two partitions D: & E:

I created a 1.46GB ZIP file and copied it several ways:

C: C: -- one folder to another: 1:45
C: D: -- :39
D: C: -- :45
D: D: -- one folder to another: 1:20
D: E: -- one partition to another: 2:40

System is P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0C, 2GB RAM.

John

"j2" wrote in message
om...

Old October 21st 04, 12:32 AM
schnoopy

Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching enabled)

"j2" wrote in message
om...

Old October 21st 04, 06:30 AM
sheer

"schnoopy" wrote in message
news

Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How

big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching

enabled)

"j2" wrote in message
om...
"sheer" wrote in message

This is really strange. I just did a test on my system and I have

exact
same
problem. I tried moving a 1.5GB video file within an IDE drive and it

is
telling me over 6 mins, but when I move it to one of my SATA drives it

takes
less than 30sec!
I hope someone can tell us why because I never really have noticed it

before
as I use my SATA drives for storage and an IDE for OS!

Well, atleast i am not the only one then. Mega wierd..

How hard would it be (drivers and stuff) to transfer a system to SATA?
Would be fun to test.

Ok this has me stumped I must have a problem somewhere.
Here is my config;
ASUS P4C800E Deluxe
P4 2.8c overclocked to 3.07
ATI 9600 Pro AGP
M-Audio 7.1 Soundcard PCI
VisionPlus DVB-T PCI
1GB of Kingston Twin Ram
400w Zalman PSU
Pioneer A06 DVD-RW
Improved cooling for video (Antec) and cpu (Zalman)
XP Pro SP1 with all updates (will not install SP2)

HDDs
1 x 120GB Maxtor SATA (drive I)
1 x 160GB Seagate SATA (drive E)
1 x 60GB IBM(Hitachi) IDE (drive C) for OS
1 x mobile rack for a number of other IDE drives I have.

I have both the IDE 60GB drive (master) and the Mobile rack on the one IDE
channel and any drive placed in that is set as slave.

I have my DVD-RW on another channel set as master I think?

My SATAs are on the SATA channels.

I do not have any raid config and I thought everything was working fine.
According to the system I have Ultra DMA 5 on my drives except DVD of
course. Not sure which channels the SATAs use but the problem is definitely
with the IDE side as I just moved 1.5GB file within SATA and it is instant
no wait time at all, and from one SATA to the other only 30secs.

HELP!

Old October 21st 04, 09:27 AM
j2

"schnoopy" wrote in message ...
Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching enabled)

Out of curiosity, since the Intel Application Accelerator doesnt
install sinc ei have nothing on my RAID-channels, is there another
util that lets me set the Acoustic-mode SMART property? I am not sure
if my drives are running "minimum acoustic output" or "max
performance". Even tho my values seem to slow for either case.
Old October 21st 04, 12:42 PM
sheer

"j2" wrote in message
om...
"schnoopy" wrote in message

Ummm, using different controller channels going to the SATA drives? How

big
are the drive buffers? Configured for performance? (write caching

enabled)

Out of curiosity, since the Intel Application Accelerator doesnt
install sinc ei have nothing on my RAID-channels, is there another
util that lets me set the Acoustic-mode SMART property? I am not sure
if my drives are running "minimum acoustic output" or "max
performance". Even tho my values seem to slow for either case.

Depends on the drive. IBM/Hitachi have a tool that does that.