Has ATT Usenet gone away?

Old June 20th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

Default Has ATT Usenet gone away?

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
announcing the end of Usenet service.
Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

Phil Weldon

Old June 20th 09, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
ShadowTek[_4_]

Phil Weldon wrote:

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
announcing the end of Usenet service.

Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
though I never used it.

Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.
Old June 20th 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

"ShadowTek" wrote in message ...
Phil Weldon wrote:

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
announcing the end of Usenet service.

Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
though I never used it.

Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

Old June 20th 09, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

lid wrote:
"ShadowTek" wrote in message ...
Phil Weldon wrote:

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly from ATT,
announcing the end of Usenet service.

Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
though I never used it.

Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

http://www.aioe.org

To support the fact there is no authentication, that server
has filters. For example, attempts to send the same message
text twice, will be rejected (as that looks like a spam
bombing run). Attempts to post too quickly, might also
result in rejection. But in "normal" usage patterns (i.e.
not "chat room" style), you'll never run into a problem.

Some day, we'll be reduced to using BBSes again...

Paul
Old June 20th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
General Schvantzkoph

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:02:18 -0400, Phil Weldon wrote:

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15
years. Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that
ATT has discontinued Usenet service, there have been posts, seemingly
from ATT, announcing the end of Usenet service. Any recommendations for
a replacement Usenet service service?

Phil Weldon

There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
Usenet I switched back to

https://news.individual.net/

It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

Old June 21st 09, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

"Paul" wrote in message ...
And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

Just FYI, aioe.org is a widely banned and filtered domain. Huge
problem with spammers, lamers and flamers, almost as bad as
googlegroups.