Det Dram error.

Old January 28th 09, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

Default Det Dram error.

My striker extreme runs fine with my hd2900xt but when I install either a
4870 or GTX280 causes the system to hail and Fail to POST and the LCD posts
DET DRAM. I cannot figure it out. I have 4x 1GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2
and freezer7 pro with a Q6600, all at stock speeds for now. How can it be
fine with an old card but new cards are no good. How can I upgrade?
Help!

Robin

Old January 29th 09, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Dumbo wrote:
My striker extreme runs fine with my hd2900xt but when I install either
a 4870 or GTX280 causes the system to hail and Fail to POST and the LCD
posts DET DRAM. I cannot figure it out. I have 4x 1GB Corsair XMS2
PC6400 DDR2 and freezer7 pro with a Q6600, all at stock speeds for now.
How can it be fine with an old card but new cards are no good. How can
I upgrade?
Help!

Robin

Take a look through the VIP forums, for matching symptoms.
There are too many threads here for me to read all of them,
so dig in and have a look.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...ngu age=en-us

Paul
Old January 29th 09, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

I have two PSUs in my case. I have an 850W AlphaPower (Not so good) for my
system such as motherboard and drives but the GTX280 has a Hiper 880W
sitting beside it powering it alone. Would I be better ditching the
AlphaPower and running it all of the Hiper E880?
I would have thought this should be more than ample to run everything.

Thanks

Robin

Old January 30th 09, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_4_]

'Dumbo' wrote:
I have two PSUs in my case. I have an 850W AlphaPower (Not so good) for my
system such as motherboard and drives but the GTX280 has a Hiper 880W
sitting beside it powering it alone. Would I be better ditching the
AlphaPower and running it all of the Hiper E880?
I would have thought this should be more than ample to run everything.

_____

Yes, it would be better run everything from the same power supply. Either
supply you have should be fine, as 850 watts is a lot more than you likely
need. What makes you think that the power supplies as you now have them
installed are BOTH turning on? One of the supplies is not connected to the
main power connector on the motherboard, that power supply is NOT going to
be providing anything but the 'Standby' + 5 v at an ampere or two. Unless
you have made provision for connecting a 'Power On' signal to that power
supply. If not, then the problem you report may be merely that there is NO
POWER TO THE GTX280.

It is important to COMPLETELY describe your system when you ask for
troubleshooting help. You also need to be methodical when doing
troubleshooting. Don't just flail around.

Phil Weldon

Old January 30th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

I did have the old trick of shorting the green pin to an earth and both PSU
were running. I even checked all the cable ends with a voltmeter. 12.26v
and 5.1v on all Molex connectors and 12.26 on the PCI-e connectors so all
would seem well. I swapped them around this afternoon to try them out and
this gave me the chance to check everything out. My LCD Poster doesn't seem
to be fully displaying but with the GTX in place it was flashing between DET
DRAM and CPU INIT(that dreaded one) but no POST. I did notice the GTX fan
at full speed and the LED lit up green on the back of the card.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
I then swapped out some RAM but alas nothing changed. I then swapped out
the VGA cards again and all POSTed well except that the BIOS was at default
and displayed that error (BIOS ERR).
Now I'm stuck with a very expensive paperweight unless I can get another PC
without 680i or 780i chipsets.
I have now got everything running on one PSU (Hiper E880W) and I am planning
a BIOS update to see if this will help.

Thanks

Robin

Old January 31st 09, 04:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Dumbo' wrote:
[...]

Good report on what you've tried to diagnose the problem.
The only suggestion that occurs to me is related to the BIOS LCD display
flashing between two messages. That doesn't seem right. Perhaps there is a
fault with the specific motherboard in your system. I don't remember if
you've posted what motherboard you use, but if the two display adapters (the
4870 and the GTX280 are known good, it might be wise to get on with customer
support for the motherboard manufacturer BEFORE you flash the BIOS. Then,
if THEY suggest a BIOS update, and the system goes belly-up, or the problem
remains the same you've got a good case for a return and replace.

Trouble-shooting a computer system is differential diagnosis, just as in
"House", a US TV medical mystery series starring Hugh Laurie.

Phil Weldon

Old February 1st 09, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

I am still waiting on ASUS getting back to me on that very issue but I have
been warned not to hold my breath. I have a Striker Extreme V1.00 (I'm not
aware of any other revision) but after the 1801 was installed there were no
flashing LEDs but the GTX still didnt work. There are a lot of people out
there on both sides of the fence and both swearing that theirs is the right
side. I have seen postings with Striker users posting good 3Dmarks etc..
with GTXs and 4870s but my motherboard seems forever stuck with a 2900XT. I
dont think the 3000 series was much of an upgrade so I'm stuck with this.
If I was overclocking like mad then I would understand it not working but
all the settings for these cards are default.

I feel very deflated.

Thanks everyone

Robin

M2V FSB:DRAM ratio André, PE1PQX[_2_] Asus Motherboards 2 March 20th 08 12:36 AM
fsb:dram & p5l-mx Trin Asus Motherboards 8 December 14th 07 05:57 AM
ZIP DRAM? Pelysma General 1 June 22nd 05 07:31 AM
Documentation about DRAM outsider General 0 January 16th 04 02:32 PM
They're Baa-aack........ with XDR DRAM George Macdonald General 56 July 30th 03 02:05 PM