DELL Precision 410 Desktop - power on / of problem

Old October 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jens Fröbel

Default DELL Precision 410 Desktop - power on / of problem

Hi Folks,

i got a "DELL Precision 410 Desktop" - workstation and have installed
WinXP with all servicepacks and the latest BIOS- Version A14.
Now I have a problem with shutdown and power-on.
If the system shutdown via XP-shutdown, the system will not power off
complete. The fan and the Ppwer Supply will not switch off untill I pull
out the power-cord!

If I like to start the workstation, the procedure starts again. I have
to plug in the power-cord, the power supply and the fan starts and I
have wait a time. Then I may start the workstation with the power button.

Because this workarround is not really funny, I hope, somebody have a
solution for my problem.

best regards

Jens

Old October 5th 08, 10:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

The fan and the Ppwer Supply will not switch off untill I pull out the
power-cord!

If I like to start the workstation, the procedure starts again. I have to
plug in the power-cord, the power supply and the fan starts and I have
wait a time. Then I may start the workstation with the power button.

If the system is under any Dell warranty, you should contact them and let
them deal with it.

If it is not, open the computer and look at the motherboard. You will find a
round silver colored battery. Try removing it and leaving it out overnight.
Then replace it with a new one...they are not expensive.

I've seen a few Dell systems that would act as you describe, and replacing
the battery has always solved the problem.

William

Old October 6th 08, 02:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The system is probably too old to still be under Dell waranty unless it is part
of a long-term corporate or government contract. Even so, I would send the few
Euros needed to get a new C2032 coin-sized Lithium battery and replace the old
one. By my estimate, a Precision 410 is perhaps 8 years old, possibly older. If
it's battery has never been changed, it is surely worn out by now.

.... Ben Myers

Hi!

Old October 8th 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jens Fröbel

Hi Folks,

thank you all for your solutions anfd hints.
I bought and changed a new battery (4,99 Euro as well).
But the problem ist not complete solved :-(
Windows is no possible to shut down the computer, but switch not
complete off (Power Suply still noising), untill i press the
power-button twice.

To start th PC, I need to follow up this stupid workarround:

1.) Press On/Off - Button
- power supply and fan starts
- HD-LED is lightening green (how else)
- POWER-LED is lightening yellow for a long while
- PC-speaker is noising
- PC switch of
2.) Press On/Off - Button again
- POWER-LED is lightening yellow for a short while
- HD-LED is flshing
- PC switch of
3.) Press On/Off - Button again, but fo a while
- POWER-LED is flashing yellow AND green
- HD starts, but no videooutput
4.) Press reset - Button
- CD-LED flashing
5.)Press On/Off - Button again, but fo a longer while
- PC switch of
6.)Press On/Off - Button again
- HURRAY - PC STARTS NORMAL WAY !!!

All together takes arround 2-3 Minutes AND I DONT LOVE IT !!!!

Please, friends, try to help me again, because the DELL Company dont
want it :-/

best regards

Jens

Ben Myers schrieb:
The system is probably too old to still be under Dell waranty unless it is part
of a long-term corporate or government contract. Even so, I would send the few
Euros needed to get a new C2032 coin-sized Lithium battery and replace the old
one. By my estimate, a Precision 410 is perhaps 8 years old, possibly older. If
it's battery has never been changed, it is surely worn out by now.

... Ben Myers

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:04:18 GMT, "William R. Walsh"

Hi!

Old October 8th 08, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

But the problem ist not complete solved :-(

- POWER-LED is lightening yellow for a long while

A yellow power LED on most Dell computers is an indication of power
supply failure. I think you should check the power supply--is the fan
inside it running? Does it seem to be "pulsing" on and off repeatedly?

Since it takes so long to get the system to start, and since you
mentioned that the system seems to be "blinking" on and off, this
could indicate a power supply failure or weakness.

I downloaded the Dell manual and could not find a description of the
power LED and what colors it can be. Other Dell computers use a yellow
power LED as a warning.

William
Old October 8th 08, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jens Fröbel

William R. Walsh schrieb:
Hi!

But the problem ist not complete solved :-(

- POWER-LED is lightening yellow for a long while

A yellow power LED on most Dell computers is an indication of power
supply failure. I think you should check the power supply--is the fan
inside it running? Does it seem to be "pulsing" on and off repeatedly?

Since it takes so long to get the system to start, and since you
mentioned that the system seems to be "blinking" on and off, this
could indicate a power supply failure or weakness.

I downloaded the Dell manual and could not find a description of the
power LED and what colors it can be. Other Dell computers use a yellow
power LED as a warning.

William

Hi William,

thank you for your ideas.

Today I phoned with DELL-Support (oh my god - no more comment).
They told me, that I have to remove all cables (HD, CD a.s.o.) and
Platines AND the Powerbutton from the mainboard. Then I have to remove
and insert the battery again. Now I should try to start the PC!
I will try this way tomorrow, but I can't believe that it will help.

After this crazy test, I will inform you all again about the result.

best regards

Jens

Old October 8th 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Today I phoned with DELL-Support (oh my god - no more
comment). They told me, that I have to remove all cables
(HD, CD a.s.o.) and Platines AND the Powerbutton from
the mainboard. Then I have to remove and insert the battery
again. Now I should try to start the PC!

At least they made some effort to answer your questions. I am amazed!

I will try this way tomorrow, but I can't believe that it will help.

It might help if the power-on logic has somehow become confused, but I
really think you may be looking at a power supply that is fading away.
Assuming this machine was assembled sometime in ~1998 and has been
used since then, ten years is not a bad run. I'd be a little surprised
if Dell had intended it to last that long.

William (hard to believe that it's been that long...it really is...)
Old October 9th 08, 08:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jens Fröbel

Hi Folks,

believe it or don't believe it: HE LIVES!!!

This guy from DELL is my hero of the week ;-)

I tryed out his workarround about removing all cables, parts, memories
and batteries from the MB. Only the power-cable was still belong! I
start the engine and listen the powersuply and fan noising.
Then I insert everyting back to the board and switch on: HE LIVES!!!
Just setup the BIOS and ready to go!

Okay, Okay just today - let see the result tomorrow on custumer-side - I
will report the result here again ;-)

Thank you all for your assistance.
May be I can help you anytime as well.

best regards,

Jens

Hi!

Old October 10th 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jens Fröbel

Don't halloo till you're out of the wood!

The same problem starts again in the morning :-(

Now I give up and shut down this crazy computer.
It's to heavy to repair such old stupid engine, and costs me to much time.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT !!!

Best regard

JENS