Compaq Presario 5000

Old October 20th 07, 09:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
playstation60[_2_]

Default Compaq Presario 5000

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, and I am trying to find the wiring
diagrams for the motherboard that came with the system when it was
purchased. Somewhere during the shuffle of things the wires were pulled
off of the motherboard and now I need to reconnect them in order to turn
the blasted thing on again!

The numbers I was able to take off of the board a 0814072KA8 Uwave,
and 786K1

Any help will be most greatly appreciated.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

~Underseige 2~
Old October 21st 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

All I can remember is that the board is made for Compaq by FIC, and that the
header to connect wires to the front panel is the same as other FIC boards made
in the same timeframe. You can find detailed specs for FIC boards at their web
site, but not for the UWAVE which was made special for Compaq... Ben Myers

Old October 21st 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nevans

Here's what I found in February 2005 about my Presario 5000 5WV254's
UWAVE motherboard.

According to Google hits, the UWAVE is a modified version of FIC's AZ31
board.

Further searches turned up the following link for an AZ31's user
manual

http://www.motherboards.org/files/ma...z31_a2_eng.zip

I hope the manual contains what you're looking for. When I opened my
5WV254 for the first time back then to clean it, the UWAVE in my machine
sure looked a lot like the diagram(s) in the manual contained in the
above download:

All the best,
Nevans

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:02:23 -0500, playstation60 wrote in
news

Old October 22nd 07, 07:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman delivers

playstation60 wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, and I am trying to find the wiring
diagrams for the motherboard that came with the system when it was
purchased. Somewhere during the shuffle of things the wires were pulled
off of the motherboard and now I need to reconnect them in order to turn
the blasted thing on again!

The numbers I was able to take off of the board a 0814072KA8 Uwave,
and 786K1

Any help will be most greatly appreciated.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

~Underseige 2~

Playstation60,

The CPU cooling pin, and USb connections should not be any trouble, the ones
that always give me a headache are the front panel pinout...

I just updated an older an older Compaq by placing it in larger case to
allow for better air movement, and discovered the front panel pin set up
was not as straight forward as I thought.

I used the webpage below, but the on/off or power switch in the new case did
not work... I ended up, removing the switch from the Compaq case, and
installing all the pins in the Compaq pillow block...

I tried the new case switch on another computer (ECS motherboard), and it
worked. I am not an electronic expert, but it appears that the power
switch in the Compaq must be different and not the same as a generic
momentary switch.

I did a small amount of case modification and used a glue gun to make the
original Compaq power switch fit firmly in the larger case... But this
transfer was accomplished with lots of tongue biting with my girl friend's
roommate present, but it is a working system... The new case also had two
wires instead of three for the Led light, and that works correctly per the
front panel pinout diagram...

front panel pinout 4 most compaq computers
www.angelfire.com/ex/kltsin/frontpin.html

Good Luck, I had to call upon a great amount of patience to make this simple
case transfer work... After changing the case I set about installing
windows 2000, and SimplyMepis a 32-bit Linux Distro creating a dual boot
system... Windows 2000 took a long time to install, with all the required
updates, but the Linux distro installed in about 30 minutes, including
setting up the HP printer...

JR the postman
Old October 22nd 07, 06:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
playstation60[_3_]

Thank you Postman. At first glance that might be just what I'm looking
for. While the board has somewhat of a diagram to follow, it contains
NO information as to what cord goes where on the cords themselves. I've
never run across a computer set up like that before.

Old October 28th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Just saw this thread .
What is your model ?
I have a compaq 5420US ( not in use right now), but let me now eactly what
info you need and maybe I can compare what you need to my PC ?

news