Seagate plans 50TB spinning rust by 2026

Old November 8th 19, 05:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Seagate plans 50TB spinning rust by 2026

https://techreport.com/news/3466913/...drive-roadmap/
Old November 8th 19, 05:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:15:04 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

https://techreport.com/news/3466913/...drive-roadmap/

Nice. I like it. Bigger is (usually) better. If nothing else, it pushes
prices down on the next smaller size.

Old November 17th 19, 08:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/8/2019 11:15 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
https://techreport.com/news/3466913/...drive-roadmap/

It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.
Old November 17th 19, 05:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.

How much will a 50TB SSD cost versus Seagate's 50TB HDD?

Spinning drives will be around until the cost of SSD storage
reaches parity with them.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Old November 17th 19, 09:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.

How much will a 50TB SSD cost versus Seagate's 50TB HDD?

Spinning drives will be around until the cost of SSD storage
reaches parity with them.

Ditto. Huge sized SSDs are still too expensive.
--
"I discovered that if one looks a little closer at this beautiful world, there are always red ants underneath." --David Lynch
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
Old November 19th 19, 01:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.

How much will a 50TB SSD cost versus Seagate's 50TB HDD?

Spinning drives will be around until the cost of SSD storage
reaches parity with them.

Samsung 4 TB SSD: $450
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-...dp/B07L3CLM2B/

Seagate 12 TB HD: $313

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronW...dp/B075XPBD5B/

So it looks like HD's are 23% of the current price of an SSD. That is a
big difference to make up.

Lynn
Old November 19th 19, 02:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.

How much will a 50TB SSD cost versus Seagate's 50TB HDD?

Spinning drives will be around until the cost of SSD storage
reaches parity with them.

Samsung 4 TB SSD: $450
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-...dp/B07L3CLM2B/

Seagate 12 TB HD: $313

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronW...dp/B075XPBD5B/

So it looks like HD's are 23% of the current price of an SSD. That is a
big difference to make up.

Yup. I wonder when huge SSDs will be similar and cheaper to their HDDs.
Old November 19th 19, 06:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks that it was
already pretty obvious that they were going to be gone soon. I get the
same feeling with HDD's.

How much will a 50TB SSD cost versus Seagate's 50TB HDD?

Spinning drives will be around until the cost of SSD storage
reaches parity with them.

Samsung 4 TB SSD: $450
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-...dp/B07L3CLM2B/

Seagate 12 TB HD: $313

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronW...dp/B075XPBD5B/

So it looks like HD's are 23% of the current price of an SSD. That is a
big difference to make up.

Yup. I wonder when huge SSDs will be similar and cheaper to their HDDs.

At least you said 'when' and not 'if'. Over the past few years, SSD prices
have been falling steadily, and sometimes in big chunks, so it's probably
just a matter of time. It's hard to guess when that will be, so I'll play
it safe and say 'less than two years'. BICBW

Old November 20th 19, 06:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

That's not too bad.
Old November 20th 19, 11:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

Ant wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

So it looks like HD's are 23% of the current price of an SSD. That is a
big difference to make up.

Yup. I wonder when huge SSDs will be similar and cheaper to their HDDs.

I would be more interested if they focused on better reliability
compared to HDDs instead of trying to match for size. It was that
aspect which excited me about the future of SSDs when they started
to arrive.

With hindsight I now see that the business incentive is far in the
favour of making bigger/faster drives to encourage people to upgrade,
rather than longer-term reliable drives which would discourage
upgrading/replacement.

--
__ __