USB stick leaking

Old April 25th 17, 08:23 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

Default USB stick leaking

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
[]
But leaving aside the issues with typing, I might have made the same
mistake you did. I never thought about the difference between silicon
and silicone before.

Silicon - quite hard. Except for its use in the semiconductor industry,
I'm not aware of any use of the elemental form (more or less a metal,
except in the ultra-pure form used in semiconductors). We had a lump of
it in the school chemistry lab, I think - somewhere like that; although
an extremely common element, I don't _think_ most people will come
across it in its metallic form. It's compound with carbon is much used
in drilling, cutting, sharpening, etc., as it's extremely hard.

Silicone - a rubbery substance (does actually contain silicon atoms,
hence the name, along with other elements). Actually a family of such
substances. Often used as a sealant. Commonest use mentioned in the
media - breast implants.

Common mistakes: "silicone chip" for semiconductors; silicon for breast
implants (which would be very uncomfortable!).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

To keep leaf vegetables clean and crisp, cook lightly, then plunge into iced
water (the vegetables, that is). - manual for a Russell Hobbs electric steamer
Old April 25th 17, 10:52 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

Silicon - quite hard. Except for its use in the semiconductor industry,
I'm not aware of any use of the elemental form (more or less a metal,
except in the ultra-pure form used in semiconductors). We had a lump of
it in the school chemistry lab, I think - somewhere like that; although
an extremely common element, I don't _think_ most people will come
across it in its metallic form. It's compound with carbon is much used
in drilling, cutting, sharpening, etc., as it's extremely hard.

Silicone - a rubbery substance (does actually contain silicon atoms,
hence the name, along with other elements). Actually a family of such
substances. Often used as a sealant. Commonest use mentioned in the
media - breast implants.

Common mistakes: "silicone chip" for semiconductors; silicon for breast
implants (which would be very uncomfortable!).

The alchemists never perfected turning lead into gold. However, with
technology, we managed to turn sand (silicon dioxide) into gold.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/di...facturing.aspx
Now you all know why silicon and silicone are very similarly spelled.
There's no silicone without silicon.
Old April 26th 17, 12:50 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Ken Blake
writes:
[]
But leaving aside the issues with typing, I might have made the same
mistake you did. I never thought about the difference between silicon
and silicone before.

Silicon - quite hard. Except for its use in the semiconductor industry,
I'm not aware of any use of the elemental form (more or less a metal,
except in the ultra-pure form used in semiconductors). We had a lump of
it in the school chemistry lab, I think

It's grown in boules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_process

And soon, they'll switch from 12" diameter to 18" diameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafer_(electronics)

"The boule is then sliced with a wafer saw (wire saw) and polished
to form wafers. The size of wafers for photovoltaics is 100–200 mm
square and the *thickness* is 200–300 um. In the future, 160 um
will be the standard. Electronics use wafer sizes from 100–450 mm
diameter. (The largest wafers made have a diameter of 450 mm but
are not yet in general use.)
"

In modern fabs, the wafers are all handled by robots. Unlike our
fab, where one of the staff dropped our only working wafer of a
certain chip, on the floor :-) This is how the damn robots stole
all our jobs. A robot is never clumsy. As any accidents can
be blamed on "bad programming" (human programmer ? replace them) :-)

Paul
Old April 26th 17, 01:44 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

On 04/25/2017 02:23 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

Common mistakes: "silicone chip" for semiconductors; silicon for breast
implants (which would be very uncomfortable!).

Yes. I've also heard "geranium diode".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If we should put god in the Constitution there would be no room left
for man." [Robert G. Ingersoll]
Old April 26th 17, 01:53 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rene Lamontagne

On 4/25/2017 6:50 PM, Paul wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Ken Blake
writes:
[]
[...]

Very interesting read, Thanks Paul.

Rene

Old April 26th 17, 07:29 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , Paul
writes:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[]
Silicon - quite hard. Except for its use in the semiconductor
industry, I'm not aware of any use of the elemental form (more or
less a metal, except in the ultra-pure form used in semiconductors).
We had a lump of it in the school chemistry lab, I think

It's grown in boules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_process

I haven't read that ...

And soon, they'll switch from 12" diameter to 18" diameter.

.... but from that, and what you wrote subsequently, I assume that's the
crystal-pulling method using for making monocrystalline (and ultra-pure)
silicon, for semiconductor use. I don't know if there's any less arduous
(?) way for making "ordinary" silicon, mainly because I don't know if
there's any use for it - structural, or otherwise. (Unlike, say,
uranium, which does have uses outside those which involve its
radioactivity: for example, I remember quite a few years ago one of the
yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made of uranium,
I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as lead].) I
can't think of anything you'd use silicon of, say, only 90-96% purity
for (apart from samples in chem. labs, museums and the like!).
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Capital flows toward lower costs like a river to lowest ground.
"MJ", 2015-12-05
Old April 26th 17, 09:27 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Paul
writes:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[]
[...]

Because it's brittle, I don't know if you'd want
to make things out of it.

And as for you having a sample in chem lab, I thought
the only thing school labs were guaranteed to have,
is Sodium metal in oil. One school lab I was in, had
a much-too-large bottle of the stuff, which I considered
to be a safety hazard. And not all school teachers
have a clue either - in junior high, an instructor
managed to set fire to the lecture table, a testament
to "knowing the material" real well :-) The students
in that case, reacted a lot better than I expected.
Nobody threw extra fuel on the fire.

Paul
Old April 26th 17, 11:41 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

uranium, which does have uses outside those which involve its
radioactivity: for example, I remember quite a few years ago one of the
yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made of uranium,
I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as lead].

There are uranium tipped bullets (aka tank busters).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...mstrade.kosovo
Old April 26th 17, 05:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Easter

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
one of the yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made
of uranium, I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as
lead].)

I don't know about America's Cup, but a Pen Duick racing yacht had a
depleted uranium keel ballast because DU is almost twice the density of
lead, so you get to have a lot more mass in a lot less 'bulk' down there.

--
Mike Easter
Old April 26th 17, 11:17 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Mike Easter wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
one of the yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made
of uranium, I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as
lead].)

I don't know about America's Cup, but a Pen Duick racing yacht had a
depleted uranium keel ballast because DU is almost twice the density of
lead, so you get to have a lot more mass in a lot less 'bulk' down there.

DU 19 gm/cm3
Pb 11.3 gm/cm3
Hg 13.5 gm/cm3
Au 19.3 gm/cm3

I was surprised by the results. I thought mercury
was a shoe-in.

Bill Gates would make his keel out of Gold.

Wikipedia lists this one is the densest naturally occurring one.

Osmium 22.59 g/cm3

Which implies the ones that can only be made in a
reactor or particle accelerator, for which we
could never get a keel-full anyway, could be higher.

In the table here, they didn't even bother to estimate
those ones. The ones at the very bottom, seem to be using
placeholders for names. The perils of transient species.

http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-cha...ts/density.htm

Paul