Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Old June 4th 12, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
John Williamson

Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On 04/06/2012 19:28, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 04/06/2012 9:20 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Yousuf Khan
writes:
On 03/06/2012 2:28 AM, DK wrote:
I do. Stacker was absolutely great!

But DoubleSpace was horrible. I lost a lot of data due to that one.

Yousuf Khan

Basically, it put all your files into one file, didn't it? So you could
lose it/them all at once if that file got corrupted. And yet, people
continue to use email (and possibly news) software that does that (for
emails), ...

Yup, not that I knew that at the time when first installing it. I just
assumed that Microsoft knew what it was doing when it created DoubleSpace.

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that stores
each email as a separate real file? (In real folders/directories?)

Thunderbird keeps all of its newsgroup messages in separate files. But
email is kept in a single file.

To be picky, Thunderbird keeps each e-mail folder in a pair of files.
the $mailboxname.sdb file is a container for the messages, and the .msf
file contains info about those messages.

So, if you have a folder in the inbox per sender, then there is a file
pair per sender.

Newsgroups are similar, but there is also an extra file per server,
telling TB which groups are on that server.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old June 4th 12, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)

writes:
On 03/06/2012 2:28 AM, DK wrote:
[...]

Thanks, interesting.

So it _still_ isn't keeping _individual emails_ (or news posts) in
individual files, so several (possibly many) can be lost if a single
file is corrupted.

(Not that, AFAIK, _any_ email/news client does. Unless maybe a DOS or
possibly a Linux/Unix one.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Herman Hollerith is buried 9 edge, face down.
Old June 5th 12, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mortimer[_2_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that
stores
each email as a separate real file? (In real folders/directories?)

Microsoft's Windows Mail (Vista) and Windows Live Mail (Win 7) store each
email message as a separate .eml file and each newsgroup message as a
separate .nws file, within filesystem folder/directory structures that match
the structure in the email program, apart from slight truncation of email
folder names when generating the corresponding filesystem folder name. It's
very useful to be able to edit or annotate .eml files (using a text
editor) - the only proviso is that you must not be looking at the message in
WM or WLM at the time (and it may be safer to close WM/WLM altogether).

The advantage of one-file-per-email is that you can edit messages and that
file corruption affects only one message. The advantage of Outlook Express's
(and Outlook's) approach is that it is quicker to search one .dbx file per
email folder or one .pst file for all emails than it is to open and search
many .eml files.

Thunderbird keeps all of its newsgroup messages in separate files. But
email is kept in a single file.

To be picky, Thunderbird keeps each e-mail folder in a pair of files. the
$mailboxname.sdb file is a container for the messages, and the .msf file
contains info about those messages.

So, if you have a folder in the inbox per sender, then there is a file
pair per sender.

Newsgroups are similar, but there is also an extra file per server,
telling TB which groups are on that server.

Thanks, interesting.

So it _still_ isn't keeping _individual emails_ (or news posts) in
individual files, so several (possibly many) can be lost if a single file
is corrupted.

(Not that, AFAIK, _any_ email/news client does. Unless maybe a DOS or
possibly a Linux/Unix one.)

See above...

Old June 5th 12, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Mortimer
writes:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that
stores
each email as a separate real file? (In real folders/directories?)

Microsoft's Windows Mail (Vista) and Windows Live Mail (Win 7) store
each email message as a separate .eml file and each newsgroup message
as a separate .nws file, within filesystem folder/directory structures
that match the structure in the email program, apart from slight
truncation of email folder names when generating the corresponding
filesystem folder name. It's very useful to be able to edit or annotate
.eml files (using a text editor) - the only proviso is that you must
not be looking at the message in WM or WLM at the time (and it may be
safer to close WM/WLM altogether).

Thanks for the info.! I _am_ surprised. (I'd not looked closely at the
"Live" offerings, as I felt they assumed an always-on connection and
smelt rather of the cloud [the name does, for a start], but maybe I
should.)

The advantage of one-file-per-email is that you can edit messages and
that file corruption affects only one message. The advantage of Outlook

That is certainly my view - especially the corruption side.

Express's (and Outlook's) approach is that it is quicker to search one
.dbx file per email folder or one .pst file for all emails than it is
to open and search many .eml files.

I guess that's why (especially in the days of slower processors and,
especially, discs) things evolved to be mostly that way.
[]
Now howabout a news client that keeps separate files (-:?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited ), 1998
Old June 5th 12, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mortimer[_2_]

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
[]
Now howabout a news client that keeps separate files (-:?

Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail use separate .nws files for each
newsgroup message.

Old June 5th 12, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
R. C. White

Hi, John.

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that stores
each email as a separate real file? (In real folders/directories?)

Yes! As pointed out by Mortimer a few posts down...

Windows Mail, OE's successor that was integrated into Windows Vista over 5
years ago, discarded OE's All-In-One humongous DBX file approach and
introduced a new scheme. Other more-techie users can describe the details
better than I can, but in WM, each email message is saved in a separate .eml
file, and each newsgroup post in its own .nws file. Windows Live Mail
continues this new scheme.

A DBX file was very efficient use of storage: 1,000 messages of 1 K bytes
(including overhead) each would use only 1,000 KB on the disk. But, as you
noted, one bad bit in the 1 MB file could lose all 1,000 messages. In the
WM/WLM scheme, each of the 1,000 small files would take its own 4 KB
cluster, for a total of 4 MB, but one bad file would leave the other 999
messages unscathed. And, each message can be individually accessed and
edited by programs other than WM/WLM.

As I'm sure you know, OE was an integral part of WinXP/9x; WM was an
integral part of Vista; but Win7 contains NO mail or news app at all. WLM
was never an integral part of any Windows OS, but can be downloaded and
installed into WinXP/Vista/Win7 - and I'm now using it in the Win8 Release
Preview. (WinXP can run 2009 and prior versions of WLM, but not 2011. Some
users have installed WM into Win7, but that is not supported by Microsoft.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308) in Win8 (Release Preview)

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message

In message , Yousuf Khan
writes:
On 03/06/2012 2:28 AM, DK wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On 6/2/2012 8:54 PM PT, Ant typed:

Nah, we haven't touched QEMM, Extended vs. Expanded RAM ;-)

No no! XMS, EMS, conventional memory (EVIL!!), config.sys,
autoexec.bat,
etc.

Oh remember, DoubleSpace, Stacker, etc.?

I do. Stacker was absolutely great!

But DoubleSpace was horrible. I lost a lot of data due to that one.

Yousuf Khan

Basically, it put all your files into one file, didn't it? So you could
lose it/them all at once if that file got corrupted. And yet, people
continue to use email (and possibly news) software that does that (for
emails), ...

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that stores
each email as a separate real file? (In real folders/directories?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see
you. -Richard

Old June 5th 12, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mortimer[_2_]

"R. C. White" wrote in message
ecom...
As I'm sure you know, OE was an integral part of WinXP/9x; WM was an
integral part of Vista; but Win7 contains NO mail or news app at all. WLM
was never an integral part of any Windows OS, but can be downloaded and
installed into WinXP/Vista/Win7 - and I'm now using it in the Win8 Release
Preview. (WinXP can run 2009 and prior versions of WLM, but not 2011.
Some users have installed WM into Win7, but that is not supported by
Microsoft.)

Every Windows 7 PC that I've seen has had Windows Live Mail already
installed. It may be that a lot of PC vendors who supply their PCs
pre-installed with Win 7 add it to the customised builds of Win 7 that they
install (along with manufacturer-specific bloatware that they "helpfully"
supply). I'm not sure about an installation from Microsoft's Win 7 CD.

Does anyone have any instructions which actually work for installing WM on
Win 7? I've seen instructions on various web sites but they assume that you
have the same "bitness" of Vista and Win 7, whereas most people have 32-bit
Vista and 64-bit Win 7. I still have a (32-bit) Vista PC that I could copy
the c:\program files folder from. I even found a site which claimed to have
instructions for running 32-bit WM on 64-bit Win 7, but they didn't work:
despite following the instructions to the letter, the exe file crashed (I
forget the precise details - it was a while ago).

The UI of WLM, especially the 2011 rather than 2009 version, with its ribbon
interface, is a real backward step and I wish I could go back to the UI of
WM.

Old June 5th 12, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
R. C. White

Hi, Mortimer.

Every Windows 7 PC that I've seen has had Windows Live Mail already
installed. It may be that a lot of PC vendors who supply their PCs
pre-installed with Win 7 add it to the customised builds of Win 7 that
they install (along with manufacturer-specific bloatware that they
"helpfully" supply).

Right. MANY (most?) PC vendors add WLM to all the computers they sell with
Win7 pre-installed. But Microsoft does not do that.

I'm not sure about an installation from Microsoft's Win 7 CD.

The Win7 CD does NOT contain WLM - or any other mail or news app.

As Microsoft says, you are free to install any mail/news app(s) that you
want, and many users do. Or you can download WLMail and any or all the
other "Windows Live Essentials" by simply going to this URL:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ive-essentials

As you can see, the "Live Essentials" also include WL Messenger, Movie
Maker, Photo Gallery and others.

The UI of WLM, especially the 2011 rather than 2009 version, with its
ribbon interface, is a real backward step and I wish I could go back to
the UI of WM.

The Ribbon UI definitely takes some getting used to! After about a year
with it, I'm comfy with it. But some of WLM's "features" are serious
drawbacks, especially the failure to properly quote the prior thread. I've
not seriously tried to use WM in Win7 (or Win8).

The transition to Win8 is going to be interesting! Win8 includes its own
Mail app, but it is much different from Windows Live Mail. Even here in
Win8 RP, I'm using WLM, not Win8's Mail. It's not clear yet whether that
will still be possible in the final version of Win8.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308) in Win8 (Release Preview)

"Mortimer" wrote in message
o.uk...

ecom...

Old June 6th 12, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 17:10:06 -0500, "R. C. White"
wrote:

The transition to Win8 is going to be interesting! Win8 includes its own
Mail app, but it is much different from Windows Live Mail. Even here in
Win8 RP, I'm using WLM, not Win8's Mail. It's not clear yet whether that
will still be possible in the final version of Win8.

RC, how did you get the s in your reply? Did you add them manually?

Old June 6th 12, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
R. C. White

Hi, Ken.

Yes, I had to add the ""'s manually.

For a single line, it's easy.

For a multi-line quote, I have to remove the internal line breaks, then add
just a single "" in front of the first line. When WLM reformats the
paragraph, it adds "" to the beginning of each reformatted line.

RC