Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Old June 2nd 12, 06:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
something which contained these commands?

Yousuf Khan

See replies to the disconnected MULTI-posted copy of your same message
over in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup.

What does hardware, especially chips, have to do with your question?
Don't shotgun to unrelated newsgroups which results in posting off-topic
within them. With all those cross-posted newsgroups, you didn't even
bother to include the *.msdos newsgroups in your query.
Old June 2nd 12, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
VanguardLH[_2_]

VanguardLH wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:

[...]

Oops, I see the problem. You did cross-post to the
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt newsgroup. However, my reply there only
went to that newsgroup. Why? Because TomT changed the Newsgroups list
without issuing notice about his change. I didn't notice he changed the
Newsgroups list. So never mind about the comment about multi-posting
(except regarding the unrelated newsgroups and lack of including the
msdos newsgroups).

See my reply to TomT but only in the alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
newsgroup since that is the only newsgroup that TomT retained in his
Newsgroups list in his reply.

To TomT:
Whenever you change the Newsgroups list, add a comment about making that
change. It's considered netiquette to inform of changing this header.
Lack of notification is typical of troll-like behavior or could be a
mistake in use of your newsreader. If you change the Newsgroups list,
add a note saying which newsgroups you chose to omit in your reply at
the top of your reply post.
Old June 2nd 12, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
GreyCloud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IO.SYS

Old June 2nd 12, 08:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
John Williamson

From: "Yousuf

I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
anymore. In MS-DOS,
where were the standard external commands located? The only thing I
remember about
MS-DOS was that the command.com was located in the root directory
(along with
autoexec.bat, config.sys, and the hidden files msdos.sys& io.sys).
Slightly different
names for the PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys& ibmio.sys, but
otherwise identical.
The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
weren't built into
the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or something which
contained these commands?

Yousuf Khan

It depended upon the DOS falvour; PC/MS/DR.

However it was always located in the PATH (%PATH%).

Yeah, I know it was always available in the path, but was there a
default directory created to hold these commands? For some reason I'm
thinking that there may have been a C:\SYS or SYSTEM folder or
something? Or were they all placed into C:\ the root directory?

IME, the closest to a default was C:\DOS. Hold on a second, I'll check.

Sounds of distant rummaging. Sounds of cursing as many crates are
lifted and moved. Finds and starts DOS 5 based Toshiba T3200mains
powered "portable". Lights throughout the area go dim as the EGA
orange plasma screen lights up.

Blimey, it still works. Now *there's* a blast from the past. Tasword...

Yup. C:\DOS on the default DOS 5.0 installation, with Windows 3.0 in
C:\WINDOWS, and the extra Toshiba goodies in C:\TOSHIBA.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old June 2nd 12, 09:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
philo

On 06/01/2012 09:41 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:55:33 -0400,
wrote:

"Ken wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400,
wrote:

"Yousuf wrote in message
I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands
located?
The

snip

As I recall, the default location for MS-DOS (at least v. 5 and 6.x)
was
at C:\DOS

That's what I remember too, but at my age, I don't trust my memoryg

yes, well with MS-DOS, you need less memory anyway... lol

LOL from me too. I'm in the minority, but I love puns.

I have a few vintage machines here but they are up in the attic.
I thought the default directory for MSDOS was simply C:\msdos

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
Old June 2nd 12, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of ,
GreyCloud said:

On 6/1/2012 2:52 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
I've been trying to remember this, and I honestly can't remember it
anymore. In MS-DOS, where were the standard external commands located?
The only thing I remember about MS-DOS was that the command.com was
located in the root directory (along with autoexec.bat, config.sys, and
the hidden files msdos.sys & io.sys). Slightly different names for the
PC-DOS version, such as pcdos.sys & ibmio.sys, but otherwise identical.
The standard external commands were those like chkdsk or xcopy, which
weren't built into the command.com. Was there an MSDOS folder or
something which contained these commands?

Yousuf Khan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IO.SYS

What does that have to do with the question being asked?

--
This signature was randomly selected
Old June 2nd 12, 11:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
David H. Lipman

From: "Yousuf Khan"

On 01/06/2012 4:57 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Yousuf

[...]

They couldn't all be in the root as there was a limit of 64 files in the root.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old June 2nd 12, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Stewart[_2_]

"glee" wrote in message
"Ken Blake" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:26:07 -0400, "glee"

wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
[...]

Why would anyone ever need more thn 640k?

Old June 2nd 12, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
glee[_2_]

From: "Yousuf

[...]

As I already posted in my reply about 14 hours ago, it was C:\DOS for
the Microsoft versions of DOS.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Old June 2nd 12, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TomT

VanguardLH wrote:

To TomT:
Whenever you change the Newsgroups list, add a comment about making that
change. It's considered netiquette to inform of changing this header.
Lack of notification is typical of troll-like behavior or could be a
mistake in use of your newsreader. If you change the Newsgroups list,
add a note saying which newsgroups you chose to omit in your reply at
the top of your reply post.

OK, you're going to have to explain what "changes the newsgroup list"
means. This is the first time I've heard of this.

TomT