Has anybody ever connected a Linux machine to a Windows machine on anetwork?

Old March 28th 10, 10:38 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Has anybody ever connected a Linux machine to a Windows machineon a network?

On Mar 28, 5:08*am, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
I realize it's RayLopez, Universe's Stupidest User speaking, but even he
should be able to grasp that Windows doesn't magically cause file
formats to change.

No, you are stupid. But you are excused because you're a G* D*
foreigner. That's why you wear socks with sandals and get mugged when
visiting the United States. So stay home you G* D* foreigner.

And as another user pointed out, I clearly meant "systems", i.e.,
Windows on NTFS and Linux on ext3.

Have a nice day, you G8 D8 foreigner.

RL
Old March 28th 10, 10:39 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 28, 6:02*am, spodosaurus wrote:
On 28/03/2010 6:02 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:

Does it work? *As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL

OMFG try a search engine!!!!

B.S. I also can fly to the moon using a search engine--it's trivial,
just use a multi-stage rocket.

NEXT!

RL
Old March 28th 10, 10:41 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 28, 8:57*am, John Williamson
wrote:

Probably thinks you should be able to use your Outlook Express mailboxes
* in Thunderbird.

Nope.

Just to show off, you understand, I've had Thunderbird in on a dual boot
Windows and Linux box sharing a mailbox file without problems before
now. The settings transferred perfectly, too.

Again, you are the World's Smartest Man. I'm talking about a PhD
rocket scientist like myself, a self-made millionaire. What about the
rest of us John? And if you're not the W.S.M, then please don't like
and pretend setting up such a network was trivial. Probably took you
a few weeks minimum and a lot of grey hairs.

RL
Old March 28th 10, 10:46 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

On 28/03/2010 4:39 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Mar 28, 6:02 am, wrote:
On 28/03/2010 6:02 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:

Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL

OMFG try a search engine!!!!

B.S. I also can fly to the moon using a search engine--it's trivial,
just use a multi-stage rocket.

NEXT!

RL

No, you can't, because you're a ****tard.

Next!

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old March 28th 10, 12:16 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Williamson

RayLopez99 wrote:
Just to show off, you understand, I've had Thunderbird in on a dual boot
Windows and Linux box sharing a mailbox file without problems before
now. The settings transferred perfectly, too.

Again, you are the World's Smartest Man. I'm talking about a PhD
rocket scientist like myself, a self-made millionaire. What about the
rest of us John? And if you're not the W.S.M, then please don't like
and pretend setting up such a network was trivial. Probably took you
a few weeks minimum and a lot of grey hairs.

About an hour, including installing Thunderbird on Linux.

A *real* smartalec would have set up symbolic links to the Windows
preferences files from the Linux TB preferences directory so that
preference changes happened in both at the same time. I just copied the
files over, so that changes aren't automatically carried over. Setting
up the link would have taken an extra two minutes or so.

To be honest, I tried it for the hell of it and it "just worked" (tm).

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 28th 10, 12:25 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Williamson

RayLopez99 wrote:
On Mar 28, 12:13 am, John Williamson
wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?
But has anybody ever done this?

Yes, many times. Now, for instance, where the machine I'm typing on is
running XP, and the mail server is running Linux, as is the news server.

Sharing document files between Open office on a Linux machine and Open
Office on a Windows machine.

Storing backups from Windows onto a Linux server.

Next....

--

Pretty impressive. I do the same thing with XP (NTFS) and FAT32 (DOS)
with backups. Even though the file formats are different, I store,

But John you are a computer guru, tremendous mind, etc etc, and it
probably took you a couple of months to set this up. What about us
lesser mortals?

Annoyingly for you, reading fom (And writing to) NTFS partitions from
Linux works out of the box. Going the other way needs a (free of charge)
program to be installed in Windows. Takes a few minutes to D/L and install.

Also, Windows boxes and Linux boxes can easily be networked using Samba
on the Linux box.

As for connecting this Windows box to the Linux mail server, the hardest
part was setting up the account.

By the way, your attempt at sarcasm has been noted.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 28th 10, 05:10 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Moshe

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:02:07 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL

Here you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

Over 800 posts on how to get it working....

Good luck!
You'll need it
Old March 28th 10, 07:23 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 28, 6:10*pm, Moshe wrote:

Here you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

Over 800 posts on how to get it working....

Good luck!
You'll need it

Thanks, I was afraid of this. Do you know anything about "Virtual
Box"--a guy at another forum claims it's so easy to set up...but I
think it will be like Samba.

If it was so easy to dual boot and/or set up a virtual directory,as
John and others claim in this thread, everybody would have done it by
now, if nothing else than to surf the net in supposed better security
(though I've not had any problems under Windows).

I'm serious.

RL

HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

As many fellow Ubuntu users seem to have trouble setting up samba peer-
to-peer with Windows I decided to write a small howto on this matter.

NOTE: I am aware that there's a wiki-page as well as several other
howto's around - but by looking at the constant "how do I setup samba"
posts that are floating around in the forum I simply see the need for
a more thourough guide on this matter.

Feel free to contribute and suggest - it'll only help to make this
howto a better guide.

The goal of this howto is to have samba act like a Windows Workstation
in the LAN. As a "value added bonus" we will use samba to do netbios
name resolution so that you can use the names of the workstations for
network drive mapping instead of their ip-addresses (i.e.:
\MY_WINDOWS_BOX\SHARE) - but only for as long as your Linux box has an
static ip-address and is up and running.

Old March 28th 10, 07:44 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Moshe

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:23:25 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99 wrote:

On Mar 28, 6:10*pm, Moshe wrote:

Here you go:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

Over 800 posts on how to get it working....

Good luck!
You'll need it

Thanks, I was afraid of this. Do you know anything about "Virtual
Box"--a guy at another forum claims it's so easy to set up...but I
think it will be like Samba.

I know nothing about Virtual Box but I'm sure you should be able
to find a How-To.

Old March 28th 10, 11:14 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 28, 8:44*pm, Moshe wrote:

I know nothing about Virtual Box but I'm sure you should be able
to find a How-To.

Yeah I was afraid of that. And of this below (from another parallel
thread to this one)

RL

On Mar 27, 10:16 pm, ToolPackinMama wrote:

Whoa cowboy, hold yer horses. I need to go online for many Windows games..

But yes, I certainly could get used to using Linux for everything else.

You can forget about a virtual box for games. I thought this was
going
to be my solution but then found out that games do not work with it.
think you would want the full resources to run games anyway. I've
also
found that some flash based games do not work well under linux even
though they should be cross platform. If your gaming your still going
to be surfing in windows to look for game info. You still have to
keep
up on your windows maintenance even if your primary system is linux.
think a lot of the guys here do not play pc games. I don't that much
either but am interested in a few now and then. Maybe at least
netflix
would work in a vb?

I am a new linux user like yourself and have been experimenting with
dual boot for the past few months. Dual booting has made using my
computer a chore. I found myself needing windows apps or games often
enough that I just didn't see the point in running linux. Some of the
programs I use are also built for linux. I even tried sharing my
firefox profile between o/s to make it more seamless. However for me
I can do everything I need to do in windows but not linux. Keep in
mind that if you do a real install and go back to windows you need to
restore the windows boot loader. I can do this with my windows 7
start
up disc by using bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot . This took
some
googling for me to figure out. So I would say stay with the wubi
until you know for sure.

I want to use linux because its more secure, and having another
choice
gives me a sense of digital freedom. As everyone has pointed out to
me
no system is 100% secure so I stay with windows for compatibility and
take care of it the best I can. I use avira and adblock plus with
malware domains sub. I hope you are able to get into a better routine
using linux than I did. Even now I'm toying with the idea of using
windows to run a vb for ubuntu. I could get full compatibility this
way. I'm hoping someone else can jump in but wouldn't I still get
some
of the security advantages by doing this unless something listens to
my connection (packet sniffer?)? Then again it just adds more work
when I'm not in the tinkering mood.

Spork