Has anybody ever connected a Linux machine to a Windows machine on anetwork?

Old March 27th 10, 10:02 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Has anybody ever connected a Linux machine to a Windows machine on anetwork?

Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL
Old March 27th 10, 10:09 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreyCloud

RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

Yes, a long time ago.
I can do it with a Mac, so Linux is no different.
And a lot of my old files have been transferred and I can read them.
The old exe files aren't worth keeping.

Old March 27th 10, 10:13 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Williamson

RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

Yes, many times. Now, for instance, where the machine I'm typing on is
running XP, and the mail server is running Linux, as is the news server.

Sharing document files between Open office on a Linux machine and Open
Office on a Windows machine.

Storing backups from Windows onto a Linux server.

Next....

--

Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 27th 10, 11:16 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TomB

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
On 2010-03-27, the following emerged from the brain of RayLopez99:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

Are you serious?

--
BOFH excuse #236:

Fanout dropping voltage too much, try cutting some of those little traces
Old March 27th 10, 11:44 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bbgruff

On Saturday 27 March 2010 22:02 RayLopez99 wrote:

Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

I doubt if there's a Linux user in this group who has *not* done this!

You'd have to explain what you mean by "the file formats are different" - I
really don't understand what you mean by that. If you mean what I suspect
you mean, there's no problem - each OS is writing to its own disk anyway.

Also, I don't understand why you are asking anywa, but I can guess - I think
that you are thinking of trying Linux, but want Linux and Windows running
simultaneously rather than dual boot, and that you think that you need to
network two machines to do this.
You don't...

.... Install Linux, then install VirtualBox in Linux, and create a Windows
Virtual machine. You will then have Windows running for all practical
purposes as a Linux application, full screen if you wish, perhaps occupying
one of your virtual desktops, and communicating to/from Linux via a shared
direcory and/or the clipboard.

I'm sure you've had all this explained to you in excruciating detail
before....

Old March 28th 10, 03:40 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:02:07 -0700, RayLopez99 rearranged some electrons
to say:

Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even do
this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL

Of course it works. Open Office freely uses Microcrap Office file formats.
Multiple open source players can play WAV, MOV, and other file formats.
Why *wouldn't* you do it?

Old March 28th 10, 04:08 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Kelsey Bjarnason[_2_]

John Williamson wrote:

RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

Yes, many times. Now, for instance, where the machine I'm typing on is
running XP, and the mail server is running Linux, as is the news server.

Sharing document files between Open office on a Linux machine and Open
Office on a Windows machine.

Storing backups from Windows onto a Linux server.

Next....

Why would Herr Bonehead over there think the file formats are different?
What magic idiocy does Windows use to screw up the format of a JPEG, or
an MP3? Oh, right - none. Nor for any of a thousand other file formats.

OpenOffice documents created in LInux work fine in Windows, and
vice-versa. As to PDFs. And most video files.

I realize it's RayLopez, Universe's Stupidest User speaking, but even he
should be able to grasp that Windows doesn't magically cause file
formats to change.

Old March 28th 10, 05:02 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

On 28/03/2010 6:02 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

RL

OMFG try a search engine!!!!

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old March 28th 10, 07:57 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Williamson

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
Why would Herr Bonehead over there think the file formats are different?
What magic idiocy does Windows use to screw up the format of a JPEG, or
an MP3? Oh, right - none. Nor for any of a thousand other file formats.

OpenOffice documents created in LInux work fine in Windows, and
vice-versa. As to PDFs. And most video files.

I know this, you know this, most posters here know this...

I realize it's RayLopez, Universe's Stupidest User speaking, but even he
should be able to grasp that Windows doesn't magically cause file
formats to change.

Probably thinks you should be able to use your Outlook Express mailboxes
in Thunderbird.

Just to show off, you understand, I've had Thunderbird in on a dual boot
Windows and Linux box sharing a mailbox file without problems before
now. The settings transferred perfectly, too.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old March 28th 10, 10:32 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Mar 28, 12:13*am, John Williamson
wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
Does it work? *As the file formats are different, why would you even
do this, except to share a single internet connection?

But has anybody ever done this?

Yes, many times. Now, for instance, where the machine I'm typing on is
running XP, and the mail server is running Linux, as is the news server.

Sharing document files between Open office on a Linux machine and Open
Office on a Windows machine.

Storing backups from Windows onto a Linux server.

Next....

--

Pretty impressive. I do the same thing with XP (NTFS) and FAT32 (DOS)
with backups. Even though the file formats are different, I store,

But John you are a computer guru, tremendous mind, etc etc, and it
probably took you a couple of months to set this up. What about us
lesser mortals?

RL