Video Audio editing

Old July 6th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom E

Default Video Audio editing

I did a 15 minute video on my Fuji Digital camera and want to edit the file.

Any recommendations for software to,

1. Lighten or enhance video picture.
2. Remove unwanted noise from the audio.

thanks

Old July 7th 09, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Tom E' wrote:
I did a 15 minute video on my Fuji Digital camera and want to edit the
file.

Any recommendations for software to,

1. Lighten or enhance video picture.
2. Remove unwanted noise from the audio.

_____

1. What kind of video file does the camera produce, and how much do you
want to spend?
2. Unwanted audio noise is best removed BEFORE recording. Unless the noise
is in a low frequency band (50 Hz or 60 Hz from Alternating Current
interference, or perhaps compressor noise from an air conditioner), or a
high frequency band above the frequencies of interest, or narrow band noise
within the frequencies of interest there really aren't any practical
solutions for removing noise that is in the original recording.

Phil Weldon

Old July 7th 09, 06:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom E

"Tom E" wrote in message
I did a 15 minute video on my Fuji Digital camera and want to edit the
file.

Any recommendations for software to,

1. Lighten or enhance video picture.
2. Remove unwanted noise from the audio.

thanks

1. AVI files......and spend as least as possible.
2. Background noise being occasional wind (from the atmosphere not people),
spectators and me laughing.

Old July 7th 09, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

Tom E wrote:
I did a 15 minute video on my Fuji Digital camera and want to edit the file.

Any recommendations for software to,

1. Lighten or enhance video picture.
2. Remove unwanted noise from the audio.

Check out VirtualDub and get more advices from alt.comp.freeware!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.1
Old July 8th 09, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Tom E' wrote:
1. AVI files......and spend as least as possible.
2. Background noise being occasional wind (from the atmosphere not
people), spectators and me laughing.

_____

The additional details help.

Try something from the Sony Vegas set of editing programs. Free trial
downloads are available
at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...egasfamily.asp . The more
expensive suites do more, the less expensive suites are easier to learn.

You gave helpful details about the audio you want to remove, but not about
the audio you want to keep. All of the Sony Vegas products can edit AVI
files and can work on audio and video as separate data streams.

Is the audio content a musical performance, a birthday party, a play, a day
at the beach, an interview?

Depending on the audio content and how it must work with the video content,
you might be able to just cut out all audio from the most objectionable
instances, and replace the removed audio with what is known as 'room tone'
or 'atmosphere' (dead silence really breaks the flow of a sequence). Wind
noise might be reduced by using a high pass filter (a filter that reduces
the volume of low pitched sounds.) If the visual action does not have to
exactly match the audio (no visible lip movement during an interview, for
example) audio from another time location on the original tape.

BUT, what you are running into is the difference between professional
audio/visual recording (music videos, cinematic films, TV shows).
The difference in the results depend on equipment and experience.
For example -
for interviews, tiny lapel clip-on mikes with tiny open cell foam
windshields can be connected to the recording device by wires or radio
frequency wireless systems; for more general audio, or collecting audio
from a group, a single shotgun mike on a boom (fishing-pole) and also using
an open cell foam or shag rug type windshield can be used. Also, a high
pass filter can be used during the original recording to further reduce
wind noise and mike handling noise. Some time you just gotta exercise some
control over the people present if you want a good recording (or wait for a
noisy jet or automobile to pass.)

Remember, it is NOT necessary to have audio edits occur simultaneously with
video edits. In fact, non-simultaneous edits are an important part of film
grammar.

Finally, there are probably better newsgroups in which to seek help on your
particular tasks since video cards are only a minor element.

Phil Weldon