How long has Intel been in the MHz slump ?

Old October 30th 03, 05:55 PM
Peter Perlsø

Default How long has Intel been in the MHz slump ?

Perhaps that should be GHz, but anyhow...

I feel that Intel has relaxed their posture after AMD announced that
they stepped off the frequency bandwagon.

Question - when was the 3.06 GHz P4 introduced ?

How about the 3.2 ?

It boils down to this - how long is the wait for new, faster chips,
these days ?

--

) - Peter Perls¿ - tel: +45 5192 3981 - web: http://u238.dk

"If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies
at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they
take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves."

-- Thomas Sowell (1992)

Old October 30th 03, 06:57 PM
Alex Johnson

Peter Perlsø wrote:
Perhaps that should be GHz, but anyhow...

I feel that Intel has relaxed their posture after AMD announced that
they stepped off the frequency bandwagon.

Question - when was the 3.06 GHz P4 introduced ?

How about the 3.2 ?

It boils down to this - how long is the wait for new, faster chips,
these days ?

A long time.

3.06/533 was mid-Nov 02 (11/14/02)
3.0/800 was mid-Apr 03 (04/14/03)
3.2/800 was late-Jun 03 (06/23/03)
3.2/800 EE was mid-Sep 03 (10/16/03 - if you accept IDF as the
introduction...parts are still not availible, I hear)

Looks like to go from 3GHz to 3.4GHz will take more than a year (Nov 02
- Q1 04) while going from 2GHz to 3GHz was done in less than a year.
It is sad to compare the two, but you ought to know by now clock speed
is not everything (and in fact is becoming more counter-productive).

Alex
--
My words are my own. They represent no other; they belong to no other.
Don't read anything into them or you may be required to compensate me

Old October 30th 03, 07:23 PM
Peter Perlsø

Alex Johnson wrote:

Peter Perlsø wrote:

[...]

Of course - but we could compare core designs, and I dont see the trend
in that area as expecially positive either. Prescott is not coming soon,
either, AFAIK ?

Thanks for the date info.