Motherboard died need replacement help.

Old March 15th 05, 12:40 PM
ChrisR

Default Motherboard died need replacement help.

My Abit KX7-333R motherboard (1.4Ghz processor 3 sticks of PC2100 RAM) just
died and I want a replacement of similar spec. that I can just swap
components from the old to new, anyone any recommendations?
Thanks,
ChrisR.

Old March 15th 05, 11:26 PM
kony

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:40:28 GMT, "ChrisR"
wrote:

My Abit KX7-333R motherboard (1.4Ghz processor 3 sticks of PC2100 RAM) just
died and I want a replacement of similar spec. that I can just swap
components from the old to new, anyone any recommendations?
Thanks,
ChrisR.

Sometimes boards are more picky about memory when there's 3
modules, but it's kinda hard to guess/speculate about what
particular boards will accept this memory you already have.

Generally speaking, you don't need another Via KT333 chipset
based board. I presume the "R" means RAID though, so if you
need a PATA RAID controller onboard that will greatly limit
your choices, especially since it appears to be a Highpoint
controller which is less common than the Promise based
controllers. A Promise controller would give you same
functionality for a RAID 0 or 1 and single-drive spans but
could not pick up, detect existing arrays and use them. If
all else fails you might buy a separate PCI card with the
same Highpoint chip on it.

Otherwise you could just grab any nForce2 motherboard and
use it, as they certainly support 1.4GHz CPU and PC2100,
because the bus speed will decrease for that speed of CPU.

Or, it appears to be here for $33,
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDet...egorySubID=125
Old March 16th 05, 10:47 AM

wrote:

My Abit KX7-333R motherboard (1.4Ghz processor 3 sticks of PC2100 RAM) just
died and I want a replacement of similar spec. that I can just swap
components from the old to new, anyone any recommendations?
Thanks,
ChrisR.

Ive got that board. Im pretty sure it has a 3 yr warranty. Maybe yours
is still covered by Abit.

I would get a nforce2 board if you have to replace it - might as well
but youll have a little more issues when you try to boot up as youll
have to try to boot up in safemode and then uninstall the old drivers
and reinstall the new nforce drivers. Its better to do another clean
install but usually it works though sometimes Ive had big problems
when I try to move a preinstalled WIN XP on a HD to another different
MB system.
Old March 16th 05, 08:21 PM
ChrisR

Thanks for the replies.
The RAID side is not a real problem I don't use it as a RAID array I just
use the ports to give me 4 IDE ports, the main thing that was worrying me
was RAM compatibility, I also want to steer away from boards with built in
graphics sound etc., as in the past I've found them a pain to disable when
putting in an upgrade card.
I will defiantly checkout the 3yr warranty though.
Thanks again,
ChrisR.

Old March 17th 05, 12:12 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, "ChrisR"
wrote:

Thanks for the replies.
The RAID side is not a real problem I don't use it as a RAID array I just
use the ports to give me 4 IDE ports, the main thing that was worrying me
was RAM compatibility, I also want to steer away from boards with built in
graphics sound etc., as in the past I've found them a pain to disable when
putting in an upgrade card.
I will defiantly checkout the 3yr warranty though.
Thanks again,
ChrisR.

Im using it for a second PC my old Abit board. Abit is one of the
easiest firms or they used to be when I dealt with them --- for RMAs.
Even if its out of warranty of missing the serial number they will fix
it for a fee that wasnt that bad last time I checked though that may
have changed.

Heres what happened with mine and I dont remember checking it for bad
caps at the time. It completely melted down. Went wacko from 100%
stable. I blamed it on lots of other things at first and bought lots
of extra parts testing it. Then I exchanged it under RMA and it worked
fine or so I thought. There was a intermittent freezing problem with
the RAID controller. Tried everything and then gave up after months of
trying different drivers etc. Thought it was fixed by moving to the
regular controller (non high point) but recently when I was using
waiting for my AMD 64 system parts , it started freezing
intermittently on the regular controller ---- sometimes within
minutes, 1 hour , several hours. Sometimes after messing with it it
would do it after 24 hours making me thing I fixed it.

Nforce2 problems --- those were from the early days. I havent had any
problems with the nforce boards Ive had in the last year or so. The
main problems with the built-in video was that they were advertised as
regular nforce 2 boards capable of hitting FSB 200/400. The problem
was that most were unstable at the top setting if you used inboard
video , you have to use a separate card if you do.

Also all the boards Ive used with it --- I only get nforce2 with 400mx
nvidia graphics built in. They worked great except for the bad caps
problem with Leadtek etc. The one I had problems with video was the
cheaper unichrome S3 graphics cheapo board that came with an
emachines. The drivers would conflict with an add on TV tuner card and
it would go nuts.

Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Motherboard for P4. MS Homebuilt PC's 76 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Sigh - Not another Motherboard Replacement. Strange Boot issues. Anthony PDC Homebuilt PC's 1 May 26th 04 03:22 AM
what's the best motherboard for amd athlon 64 Mike Henley Homebuilt PC's 2 April 20th 04 08:33 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 11:51 AM