motherboard short ???

Old November 19th 03, 04:38 PM
paul

Default motherboard short ???

I have another post up under the title "computer wont boot after power
outage" from 11/17/03......Any way after we had a power outage at my
place, my computer wouldnt come up. I replaced the original 400watt
power supply with a 200 watt one i got from work. originally i just
plugged in the power supply and connected only the main ATX power
connector to the board and hooked up the case fan, **(didnt want to
waste my time and hook everything up if it didnt work!!)** , When i
made only these two connections, the cpu fan started spinning and so
did the case fan, i thought that i had found the problem so i just
went ahead and installed the power supply and made all of my
connections to hd , cd drives ,etc. When i went to start up my
machine, the case fan began to spin and then stopped abruptly, the cpu
fan never even moved. I tried disconnecting everything and reconecting
but i keep getting the same result , even when i just have the main
power to the board and the case fan plugged in. What else should i
try, is my board fried??,...the standby light still comes on!!!
I NEED HELP ASAP
Old November 20th 03, 02:15 PM
paul

I was trouble shooting the problem last night and i seemed to have
narrowed it down. I beleive i have a short in my ide cables (if thats
possible) or i have shorted out the ide as well as the floppy
connections on my board. Ill explain: I unpluged everything and put it
all back together with the exception of the ide cables and my machine
caame to life, it even posted (as far as it could w/o a haard drive) ,
but as soon as i made the ide and floppy connections , the machine no
longer started up. I have tried a bunch of different combinations to
try and get it to boot while all the devices are connected, but it
wont,...today im going to put in new cables and see how that
goes...............has anyone ever experienced this before, any pearls
of wisdom for me????

paul