compaq presario 4640 motherboard

Old September 12th 04, 04:03 AM
janko

Default compaq presario 4640 motherboard

I am looking for a replacement motherboard for my computer,prefably a
used one that I cam afford.It currently has a 266mhz processor but
the onboard audio quit working and has no sound. Janko

==============
Old September 12th 04, 11:51 AM
Ben Myers

I am not familiar with that exact model of Presario, but most of the earlier
Presarios used motherboards with proprietary shapes and/or cables and
connectors. I think there are a couple of possibilities:

1. Simply buy and install a sound card. This is probably the easiest and least
expensive solution.
2. Replace the entire chassis and motherboard.
3. Get the exact motherboard as a replacement. HPaq spare parts probably cannot
help here, because they only stock spare parts for selected newer models.
4. Identify a Compaq part number which will fit the Presario case physically,
and maybe upgrade the motherboard a bit, say, to a Pentium III.

One of my clients had a newer Presario with newer Athlon CPU, and the
motherboard bit the dust completely. I ended up replacing the chassis and
motherboard, which worked out well... Ben Myers

On 11 Sep 2004 23:03:03 -0400, lid (janko)
wrote:

I am looking for a replacement motherboard for my computer,prefably a
used one that I cam afford.It currently has a 266mhz processor but
the onboard audio quit working and has no sound. Janko

==============
Posted through
www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old September 12th 04, 10:05 PM
janko

I am looking for a replacement motherboard that will work in this
model because it has an onboard sound(ESS) and it is the only way to
use the volume controls on the monitor and tower unit.I tried a sound
card in a PCI slot,but can't use volume controls only placing the
sound card volume control in the system tray.Also I am doing a total
upgrade to this;256MB RAM,40GB HD and possibly a faster processor.
Janko

==============
Old September 12th 04, 10:11 PM
Tom Scales

I think you're wasting your money. You can buy a nice entry-level Dell
Dimension 2400 for under $400.

Tom

Old September 13th 04, 11:02 AM
janko

I can't seem to get much help from HP/Compaq support.I don't have the
money to buy another computer and I am buying what I need through
ebay but I need the correct part numbers that will be compatible with
this system.PowerLeap web site says that this model can be upgraded
from the 266Mhz to a 733MHz P3 boxed coppermine slot 1,whatever that
means
and I need a used motherboard that has the onboard audio(ESS) to use
the control knob on monitor and the buttons on the tower. Janko

==============
Old September 13th 04, 12:01 PM
HH

Powerleap is wrong I think. The 4640 uses an Intel 440LX chipset. No way it
will run a Coppermine PIII. As for the motherboard only an exact replacement
from Compaq will work Due to the proprietary connectors, including the power
supply. Also, there is an 8 GB hard drive size limit in BIOS on that model,
so you would have to add a PCI IDE controller card to use a larger drive.For
all of these reasons, follow Tom's advice. Save up and get another PC.
HH

Old September 13th 04, 02:48 PM
Ben Myers

The best this system can do as far as speed is concerned is a Socket 370 766MHz
Celeron with a slotket that mediates the voltage between CPU and motherboard.
PowerLeap sells this sort of slotket, but it is pricey. Add the costs of a
replacement motherboard, larger hard drive, PCI IDE disk controller, Celeron
CPU, and slotket, and the total is in the neighborhood of a new system. And
there is always the downside risk that the Presario BIOS will balk at accepting
a Celeron.

Frankly, I sell fully outfitted refurbs with legal operating system installed
for less than all the kit it would take to bring the Presario 4640 up to an
almost respectable and functional level... Ben Myers

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 January 3rd 05 02:31 AM
Compaq Presario 5BW160 motherboard csjuko Compaq Computers 1 August 5th 04 11:03 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 January 20th 04 01:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM