Presario 5000 modem for Win98 needed!

Old August 8th 04, 09:09 PM
AberTech

Default Presario 5000 modem for Win98 needed!

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario desktop PC (5WV250) that I've installed Windows 98
on. The drivers that I have tried from modem-drivers.com and
driverguide.com haven't worked. A bootable linux distro identified it as a:
'Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax GVC Corporation Compaq Scooter'.

Any Presario 5000 owners with Win98 kind enough to let me know where I can
download a working driver for this?

Many TIA.

Old August 8th 04, 10:22 PM
Ben Myers

Try the GVC web site. The Conexant web site also has reference drivers for
tehir modem chipsets... Ben Myers

Old August 9th 04, 11:10 AM
HH

Going backwards in operating systems (the PC shipped with WinMe) is always
iffy, driver-wise. Compaq almost never supplies drivers for an OS of earlier
vintage than what shipped on the PC. If you must do it, you may need to
install a different modem.

HH

Old August 9th 04, 10:10 PM
Ben Myers

Suffice it to say that in dealing with clients who have a marked distaste for
Windows ME or reselling low-end refurb P3 systems, I have generally suceeded in
"retrofitting" Windows 98SE onto all brands of hardware including HPaqs and
finding Windows 98SE drivers to cover all chipsets in a computer box.

To be true, Microsoft once again broke some of the driver APIs in the transition
from 98 to ME, but the large majority of them still work, and the drivers
likewise... Ben Myers

Old August 10th 04, 08:39 PM
AberTech

"TerryNC" wrote in message
Another case of suffer instead of buying a 8.00 modem,

That's a new one on me. What's a 8.00 modem?

Old August 12th 04, 12:48 AM
Ben Myers

I think he means $8.00 modem, which is not too far from the prices charges by
wholesalers and computer shows. The only real problem with ANY modem is finding
the drivers for it for ones operating system. The modem you are working with
has a mainstream chipset, so drivers are available. It's simply a matter of
finding them, no different than any other piece of hardware... Ben Myers

Old August 12th 04, 03:29 AM
HH

Not $8.00 but close and a good modem. I've installed half a dozen in friends
PCs. No complaints:
http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=6860