Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E & Docking Station

Old July 17th 03, 09:46 PM
Venum

Default Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E & Docking Station

Hello-

I have an REALLY old notebook here that I want to use for instant messaging-
and get those things of the machine I use here. It's annoying to have
everyone bug you at once when your trying to work.

The problem is that the note book doesn't pick up anything from the Docking
station except power. Is there a software program that should be running on
it?

Old July 17th 03, 10:26 PM
DEJ57

The problem is that the note book doesn't pick up anything from the Docking
station except power. Is there a software program that should be running on
it?

If you want a HDD in the dock to be seen, yes, but not for a modem, I don't
think. I'll send you some info on 4/25 if you want--email me directly....

Dale
Old July 17th 03, 11:44 PM
Mike Calkins

This is old info from the back of my brain.

On the docking station there were a couple of switches, labeled A-B & C-D
Make sure that the switches are in the A and C positions when you boot up
the laptop.

These were swap drives A and B or swap drives C and D functions, it may be
trying to boot from the non-existent drive in the docking station.

As I said , this is old info, if you can't find the switches, then I'm
thinking of the SmartStation.

Does the laptop boot without the docking station?

Good Luck,

Mike in Houston

Old July 18th 03, 04:32 AM
Venum

No the problem I have is that it will not pick up the docking station at all
so I cannot get the network or cdrom to get recognized

y.com...

Old July 26th 03, 05:00 PM
European

"Venum" wrote in message news:wWDRa.12$If5.8@lakeread06...
Hello-

I have an REALLY old notebook here that I want to use for instant messaging-
and get those things of the machine I use here. It's annoying to have
everyone bug you at once when your trying to work.

The problem is that the note book doesn't pick up anything from the Docking
station except power. Is there a software program that should be running on
it?

Hi Venum,

I have an REALLY old notebook...

Hey it is not old, it is only 8-9 years old. *g*
I saw that you have Win95 running onm that Laptop. Well then
everything should work! I use Windows 95b on my COMPAQ LTE Lite 4/33C
with 1,1 GB HDD, Windows 95b and 20 MB RAM. The Dockingstaion is
equipped with a 10/100 MBit Network-Card from Compaq, a 16-bit
Soundcard from Compaq, a CD/CD-R from Compaq (yes i am able to burn
CDīs with the lte lite) a Streamer from Compaq and a 2,1 GB HDD from
Quantum. All is working fine with Windows 95b! At the beginning i
docked the Laptop into the DS and everything was recognized
automatically by Windows!! I only needed the Drivers for the cards and
so on and i remember that i need to set a jumper, but everything else
was installed by Windows. Windows even created the Hardware
profiles..that means it detects if the Laptop is docked or not and
loads the correct profile. Very cool. Maybe i had just luck ?! :-))

European
Old July 27th 03, 07:17 PM
DEJ57

All is working fine with Windows 95b! At the beginning i
docked the Laptop into the DS and everything was recognized
automatically by Windows!! I only needed the Drivers for the cards and
so on and i remember that i need to set a jumper, but everything else
was installed by Windows. Windows even created the Hardware
profiles..that means it detects if the Laptop is docked or not and
loads the correct profile. Very cool. Maybe i had just luck ?! :-))

European

I'm curious--did you inherit the laptop with WIN95b or did you do a clean
install of just WIN95b?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 4/25E, and the 4/33C, originally came
with WIN3.1. Maybe the change in OS came with the 4/33. Special programs
needed to be loaded to get DOS/WIN3.1 to recognize anything in the dock, from
what I understood, and perhaps these programs were already loaded when you got
the laptop?

Dale
Old July 29th 03, 09:25 AM
European

(DEJ57) wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Dale,

I'm curious--did you inherit the laptop with WIN95b or did you do a clean
install of just WIN95b?

Well, I got this laptop in brandnew conditions in 2001. One seller
here (Germany) stored this Laptop since 1994 and never used it, never
packed it out!
When he asked me to buy it, i didnīt think about it very long. (I
payed 200 EUROS (approx. 200 USD) and it was absolutely worth for me.

With other words i got a brandnew, unused LTE Lite in the original
package in 2001 :-)). Ok, back to the subject. I inherited the 4/33C
with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (orig. Compaq Version). The Software
was included in the package and also the complete documentation and so
on. All like you buy it in 1994.

The CMOS Battery was empty (The unit didnt boot up at the first time)
so i changed it and at the same time i changed the 510 MB HDD with a
1,1 GB from IBM. This makes the old LTE Lite it more usable for todays
standards. (I used Maxtor Maxblast to override the 620 MB Limit of the
BIOS).

As you can see i know this laptop very well, i did a lot of
investigations about it and i can dissamble it with closed eyes
without damaging anything :-).

After that, i did a clean install of Windows 95b. (I copied the setup
files to the new 1,1 GB HDD before i inserted it).

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 4/25E, and the 4/33C, originally came
with WIN3.1.

Seems so, yes. I can confirm it. Maybe, Maybe the last 4/33C units had
Windows 95 installed, but i donīt think so...The LTE Liteīs are
originally Windows 3.x Laptops. But that doesnt mean that they are
incompatibel with Windows 95 *g*. I even run a LTE Lite/25 (20MB RAM)
with Windows 95.

By the way: Windows 95 has "Compaq LTE Lite Support" in its
Systemcontrol. :-)
I donīt know why.

Special programs
needed to be loaded to get DOS/WIN3.1 to recognize anything in the dock, from
what I understood, and perhaps these programs were already loaded when you got
the laptop?

That is right. If you run DOS/Windows 3.x then you need certain
Softpaqs and so to recognize anything in the Dockingstation. I tried
once to dock a Windows 3.11 Lte Lite to the Dock. (the LTE Lite/25
above), but it was so frustating that i kicked out Win 3.11 and
installed Windows 95. And oh wonder, everything was really easy! I
only did some research on the Dock to find info about the Jumpers and
so on. I plugged the big HDD and the CD-R to the single IDE, inserted
the cards and Win95 and the drivers for the cards did the rest.

Now i use the 4/33C to listen to mp3 and for other nice stuff :-)

I hope this info was understandable!

byem,

Euro from Germany
Old July 30th 03, 03:02 AM
European

(DEJ57) wrote in message ...
I tried
once to dock a Windows 3.11 Lte Lite to the Dock. (the LTE Lite/25
above), but it was so frustating that i kicked out Win 3.11 and
installed Windows 95

I take that to mean you installed WIN95 on top of WIN3.11 and the other
installed Compaq software that might be necessary for WIN95 to recognized items
in the expansion base. Wonder if a clean install of WIN95 would work as well.
Difficult to accomplish a clean install on one of those older laptops--no
CDROM. Or do you think if the laptop is in the expansion base, and has
installed a CDROM, that a diskette with CDROM support would be all that's
needed to get the CDROM recongnized and clean install WIN95 from CD? Perhaps
I'll get a chance to play with my laptops some more and explore these
possibilities....

Dale

Hi Dale,

in the expansion base. Wonder if a clean install of WIN95 would work as well.
Difficult to accomplish a clean install on one of those older laptops--no
CDROM. Or do you think if the laptop is in the expansion base, and has
installed a CDROM, that a diskette with CDROM support would be all that's
needed to get the CDROM recongnized and clean install WIN95 from CD? Perhaps
I'll get a chance to play with my laptops some more and explore these
possibilities....

No, no as I said: I copied the Windows 95 Setup Files to the 1,1 GB
HDD before i inserted it into the unit. Then i just started SETUP.EXE.
I didnt add/need special Compaq-programs after installing windows 95.
Only the drivers for the soundcard and the Network Card. The CD ROM is
not connected to the IDE of the Dock, as i wrote before. It is a
"Creative CD ROM" which is connected to the IDE of the SOUNDCARD (Old
System) (Long time ago i did this, but now i can remember it). The 2,1
GB HDD inside the Dockingstation (Connected to the IDE of the Dock)
was recognized automatically by Windows 95.

What you mean is, to dock an OS-less LTE Lite in the dock with CD-ROM
Drive and to boot from disk and to install Windows from the CD. Well,
i didnīt try this..but it should work. With MS-DOS 6.22 and the
corresponding softpaq and drivers....should work. If you are skilled
enough you can create a special LTE Lite Bootdisk for the Dock which
contains everything! If so, pls share

But there are many other ways to copy the Setup files to the Laptop
and easier ones! ;-)

If i have time i will make some pictures!

Euro

Universal docking station with monitor support? Sandy Bremmer General 0 November 20th 04 02:33 PM
Hot swap docking station for a bare 3.5" HD- Does such a thing exist??? AlienZen Homebuilt PC's 1 January 30th 04 12:42 AM
Compaq Armada 1700 & docking station Ron General 0 August 31st 03 03:57 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 10th 03 08:07 PM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM