Question regarding boot rom's interaction w/ my SmartArray 5300...

Old October 6th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

Default Question regarding boot rom's interaction w/ my SmartArray 5300...

Hi guys again.. I received my battery pack yesterday from ServerWorlds
all nicely packaged (I'll be giving them high marks for that!) and shutdown
my Proliant 6400 to install the batteries. Anyway, upon startup, it complained
about the battery voltage being low -- something I expected.

So, I restarted the machine this morning after having about 16 hours to regain
their charge and no more complaints.. However, I find that the boot rom is now
putting up a prompt for me to press F8 for more options specific to the SA5300
or press Escape (If I recall) to continue booting..

Is there some way to get rid of this prompt so that IF I were to have a power
failure or similar, the machine would be able to completely boot up without
needing my intervention to press the ESC key?

Just for fun, I tried hitting the F8 key and it still booted the same way
as if I had hit ESC.. Of course, I do not have a separate partition setup with
the SmartStart sitting on it -- perhaps that's why it didn't work in that case.

Anyway, if you've got any ideas to get a clean uninterrupted boot, I'd love to
hear how to achieve it.. Thanks!

Old October 6th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Rick F." wrote in message
[...]

The F8 prompt you are talking about will always be there. I know of no way
to disable it, but really all it does is give you a chance to enter the RBSU
(rom based setup utiliy) so that you can interact with your disks at the
controller level. There is no relationship between the RBSU and the F10
(EISA SYSTEM TOOLS) partitions.

Typically, the message is there for about 5 seconds, and then just moves on.
you will notice the same behavoir with the RILOE/RILOE II boards when they
are installed.

Move along please, there is nothing to see here.

- LC

Old October 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:

Typically, the message is there for about 5 seconds, and then just moves on.
you will notice the same behavoir with the RILOE/RILOE II boards when they
are installed.

Cool.. I didn't bother waiting to see if the prompt disappeared.. Thanks LC!
I'll be 'movin along now.. (8-