Western Digital "Recertified" Drives - How Reliable.? ? ? ?

Old June 24th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Western Digital "Recertified" Drives - How Reliable.? ? ? ?

Hello Group, About a year ago, I bought 2 WD Caviar SE-Serial ATA drives
(WD3000JD) within a week of each other. Installed them in the computer and
used them for VIDEO_TS directories - using the second drive as a backup.

A few months ago the first drive DIED...TOTALLY.... within a week, the
second drive DIED..! I

Bummer......... Although I did back up ALL of the data when the first drive
failed.

Went through the warrantee process with WD and within a week, I had 2
replacement drives.

BUT... they are labeled as "Recertified" - Ohhhhh... Bummer..!

My experience with Refurb, or remanufactured, or "Recertified drives isn't
really good...!

Should I trust these drive with DATA or...

Should I just use the drives as doorstops..???

Wondering..!

Starz_Kid...

Old June 24th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Starz_Kid wrote:
[...]

My shop sees refurbished drives from time to time. Their failure rate
has not been noticibly higher than other drives.

That said. Always have a backup, whether or not your drives are new.

Old June 24th 06, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Starz_Kid wrote:

Hello Group, About a year ago, I bought 2 WD Caviar SE-Serial ATA
drives (WD3000JD) within a week of each other. Installed them in the
computer and used them for VIDEO_TS directories - using the second
drive as a backup.

A few months ago the first drive DIED...TOTALLY....
within a week, the second drive DIED..! I

Worth checking the drive temperature with Everest.

Simultaneous drive failure is usually due to the system the drives are in.

Bummer......... Although I did back up
ALL of the data when the first drive failed.

Went through the warrantee process with WD
and within a week, I had 2 replacement drives.

BUT... they are labeled as "Recertified" - Ohhhhh... Bummer..!

My experience with Refurb, or remanufactured,
or "Recertified drives isn't really good...!

Should I trust these drive with DATA or...

Should I just use the drives as doorstops..???

Wondering..!

Since you do have a decent backup strategy,
you arent taking much risk by using them.

I'd certainly check the environment they are being used in tho.

Old June 24th 06, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

The fact that both the new WD died within a year is question enough to
wonder what kind of quality those drives are in the first place even without
putting a re-certified drive into service to follow them. I would go with
another brand.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old June 24th 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

I would first check my power supply for stable voltages.
what kind of PS do you have ?

--
Alan Kakareka
Data Recovery Service

Old June 24th 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

*** top-posting corrected ***
Alan Kakareka wrote:
"Jan Alter" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Starz_Kid wrote:

Hello Group, About a year ago, I bought 2 WD Caviar SE-Serial
ATA drives (WD3000JD) within a week of each other. Installed
them in the computer and used them for VIDEO_TS directories -
using the second drive as a backup.

A few months ago the first drive DIED...TOTALLY....
within a week, the second drive DIED..! I

Worth checking the drive temperature with Everest.

Simultaneous drive failure is usually due to the system the
drives are in.

.... snip ...

BUT... they are labeled as "Recertified" - Ohhhhh... Bummer..!

My experience with Refurb, or remanufactured,
or "Recertified drives isn't really good...!

Should I trust these drive with DATA or...
Should I just use the drives as doorstops..???

Since you do have a decent backup strategy,
you arent taking much risk by using them.

I'd certainly check the environment they are being used in tho.

The fact that both the new WD died within a year is question
enough to wonder what kind of quality those drives are in the
first place even without putting a re-certified drive into
service to follow them. I would go with another brand.

I would first check my power supply for stable voltages.
what kind of PS do you have ?

I corrected this before adding my suggestion that the drives are
running too hot, and to look to the cooling system. After removing
the evil top-posting I see that had already been suggested, and
lost in the confusion.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE maineline address!

Old June 25th 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:29:02 -0400, CBFalconer
wrote:

I corrected this before adding my suggestion that the drives are
running too hot, and to look to the cooling system. After removing
the evil top-posting I see that had already been suggested, and
lost in the confusion.

I do not know if this was recommended but people should implement
MotherBoardMonitor.

http://www.3degs.net/index.php?page=...ebfiles&file=9

It has provision for tracking SMART temp so you can at least see
something like a spike.

According to WD tech support, the Caviar line has a max. service temp
of 55C. That's plenty hot.

--

"It's impossible to obtain a conviction for sodomy from
an English jury. Half of them don't believe that it can
Old June 25th 06, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Starz_Kid wrote:

[...]

Hello Rod Speed, I use an Enermax model 2200 case . . . and EVERY Hard
Drive has it's own High Speed fan for cooling...! EVERY DRIVE...! Airflow
is from ALL sides..!

Starz_Kid...

Old June 25th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

wrote:

I corrected this before adding my suggestion that the drives are
running too hot, and to look to the cooling system. After removing
the evil top-posting I see that had already been suggested, and
lost in the confusion.

I do not know if this was recommended but people should implement
MotherBoardMonitor.

http://www.3degs.net/index.php?page=...ebfiles&file=9

It has provision for tracking SMART temp so you can at least see
something like a spike.

According to WD tech support, the Caviar line has a max. service temp
of 55C. That's plenty hot.

--

"It's impossible to obtain a conviction for sodomy from
an English jury. Half of them don't believe that it can
physically be done, and the other half are doing it."
--Winston Churchill

Hello Bob, Cooling was not an issue as each drive in my computer has air
flow on ALL surfaces. I suspect a bad run of the drives - or a bad desigh
as Seagate only made these drives for a short time. Then went with a new
part number...!

Starz_Kid...