Power supply question (HH?)..

Old July 21st 05, 12:41 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Default Power supply question (HH?)..

Hi, all...

Can anyone verify if the 5000T (5BW/ m'board #191767 which I believe is a
Mitac 6513wu) has a standard ATX power supply?

Thank you!
--
B'Regards,

Vinnie

Old July 21st 05, 02:06 PM
HH

If It is the 5BWN21 you are referring to (Micro ATX board), it looks like a
Standard ATX supply. Here are the specs:

5000t Power Supply
U. S. Outside U. S.
Input Specifications
Voltage Switch Setting 115 V 230 V
Nominal Line Voltage 115 VAC 230 VAC
Range Input Line 90 to 132 VAC 180 to 264 VAC
Frequency Range 47 to 63 Hz 47 to 63 Hz
Power Factor 0.55 0.55
Input Power 310 Watts 310 Watts
Input Current 6 at 90 VAC 3 at 180 VAC
Inrush Current 65 A at 115 VAC
(cold start) 65 A at 230 VAC
(cold start)
Holdup Time 16 ms from zero crossing at 120 VAC 16 ms from zero
crossing at 240 VAC
Steady State (Max Power) 235 Watts 235 Watts
General Specifications
Full Output Rating To 122° F and 5,000 ft
To 90° F and 10,000 ft (derate linearly) To 50° C and 1524 m
To 32° C and 3048 m (derate linearly)
Minimum Load 1.4 A on + 5.0 V output; 0.07 A on
12 V output 1.4 A on + 5.0 V output; 0.07 A on
12 V output
Ambient Temperature Range
Operating 50° to 122° F 10° to 50° C
Storage -40° to 151° F -40° to 66° C
Dielectric Voltage Withstand
Input to Ground 1500 VAC/1 second
Safety Standard UL 1950; CSA 22.2 950; TUV/VDE EN 60 950
(VDE0805/11.91); EMKO-TSE (74-SEC) 207/94
Input Transient Susceptibility
Common and Differential Mode
(superimposed on AC line) 2500 V, 1 us, damped sinusoid
600 V, 10 us pulse
Differential Mode 20% step change in AC input voltage

HH

news

Old July 21st 05, 02:43 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Thanks, HH.

It appears to be a micro ATX, and the PS appear to be standard. The part
numbers I refer to are the ones on both the board and the PS.

I cannot understand how the Power Supply can only be 145 watts. These
references are constant everywhere I look, and what I have from Compaq. The
unit is running maxed out- 1.2 Tualatin (w/adapter), 512meg mem, floppy, 40g
HD, DVD, CD/RW, 512 mem (2x256's), modem, firewire, NIC, all 4 USB's used...

I was thinking of adding a 2nd HD, how can this all run on only 145 watts???
My daughter's Intel needs 300+, same config except that she also has a TV
board?

Hence, why I was thinking of upgrading the PS to a 230 I have on hand...

Old July 21st 05, 04:08 PM
Ben Myers

Upgrading to a higher wattage power supply would be prudent. Compaq, HP,
eMachines, IBM, Packard Bell (RIP), all of them shipped Pentium-class computers
with 145w (or even less) power supplies. Their working assumptions for doing so
are two-fold: cost savings and support ONLY for the configuration shipped, with
little margin for error.

This is yet another example of how much personal computers have become
commodities. Sadly, unlike other commodities (apples, oranges, automobiles),
the consumer has little or know opportunity to see what is under the hood of a
computer before buying. So name brand manufacturers continue to build
consumer-oriented boxed with cheap junk parts inside, showing great disrespect
for their customers. Business-class computers are generally better made,
because a large enterprise has the clout to park all the malfunctioning or
poorly made computers on the loading dock and tell the manufacturer to take them
all away... Ben Myers

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:43:39 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
wrote:

Thanks, HH.

It appears to be a micro ATX, and the PS appear to be standard. The part
numbers I refer to are the ones on both the board and the PS.

I cannot understand how the Power Supply can only be 145 watts. These
references are constant everywhere I look, and what I have from Compaq. The
unit is running maxed out- 1.2 Tualatin (w/adapter), 512meg mem, floppy, 40g
HD, DVD, CD/RW, 512 mem (2x256's), modem, firewire, NIC, all 4 USB's used...

I was thinking of adding a 2nd HD, how can this all run on only 145 watts???
My daughter's Intel needs 300+, same config except that she also has a TV
board?

Hence, why I was thinking of upgrading the PS to a 230 I have on hand...

SNIP
Old July 21st 05, 05:03 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I hear you Ben... amazing...but I'm not surprised.

You, by chance, wouldn't know for sure if this is a standard ATX power
supply, would you?? I have a spare Powerman 230w I was going to put in....

Old July 21st 05, 05:10 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Actually, mine might be the 5BW-001. It was shipped as 5BMW-CTO. Only
afterwards, I was told by Tech support they were calling it a 5BW, of which
there are many different types. But the part numbers I listed are the part
numbers on the parts themselves, particularly the p/s.

Old July 21st 05, 07:45 PM
Ben Myers

If the dimensions of the Powerman are the same, plug it in. Same ATX-type
connector on the Compaq, right? AFAIK, Compaq never corrupted the ATX connector
spec, like Dell did with its P2 and P3 systems. The older Dell systems are/were
a major pain because the Dell motherboards required Dell power supplies, and
there was no way to mix a Dell component with a standard one. This discouraged
people from doing motherboard swaps, something Compaq did in even earlier times
with wierd shapes to motherboards... Ben Myers

Old July 21st 05, 08:01 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Ben, you'll never believe this, or maybe you will.. the Powerman is also

I never really checked the label!!!

Geez....

I'll look for a more powerful p/s as long as I know the Compaq is a standard
ATX...

Oh well.. just when I thought I had the perfect home for the Powerman!

Old July 21st 05, 09:06 PM
Ben Myers

Powerman is one of the brands used by Gateway in the past. Not a very
well-respected one, either... Ben Myers