Going From a 7200 to a 9600XT, Complete OS Reinstall?

Old December 22nd 03, 02:42 PM
Billy S

Default Going From a 7200 to a 9600XT, Complete OS Reinstall?

Hi all,
I'm finally going to update my decrepit 64MB 7200 with a 128MB 9600XT.
Am I going to have to reinstall the OS like I usually do for a new
video card?

Or can I get away with just using ATI's removal tool on the old
drivers and installing the new Catalyst driver for the 9600?

Or can I get away with just uninstalling the old driver and installing
the new one, without the removal utility since they're both ATI cards?
Old December 22nd 03, 06:24 PM
TMack

"Billy S" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm finally going to update my decrepit 64MB 7200 with a 128MB 9600XT.
Am I going to have to reinstall the OS like I usually do for a new
video card?

Or can I get away with just using ATI's removal tool on the old
drivers and installing the new Catalyst driver for the 9600?

Or can I get away with just uninstalling the old driver and installing
the new one, without the removal utility since they're both ATI cards?

You shouldn't need to do anything - they use the same drivers. Just
uninstall the 7200 and then let the system detect the 9600 and point it to
where the ATI drivers are located.

Tony

Old December 23rd 03, 12:46 AM
Billy S

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:24:03 -0000, "TMack"
wrote:

"Billy S" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,
I'm finally going to update my decrepit 64MB 7200 with a 128MB 9600XT.
Am I going to have to reinstall the OS like I usually do for a new
video card?

Or can I get away with just using ATI's removal tool on the old
drivers and installing the new Catalyst driver for the 9600?

Or can I get away with just uninstalling the old driver and installing
the new one, without the removal utility since they're both ATI cards?

You shouldn't need to do anything - they use the same drivers. Just
uninstall the 7200 and then let the system detect the 9600 and point it to
where the ATI drivers are located.

Even though they use the same driver PACKAGE, don't you think that the
install probably unwraps different drivers according to which Radeon
you have installed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing as I have no idea , but I would
think that a 7200 has to at least use a SLIGHTLY different driver set
than a 9600XT...

Old December 23rd 03, 09:45 PM
TMack

"Billy S" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:24:03 -0000, "TMack"
wrote:

"Billy S" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The inf file will allocate the correct files regardless. I have never had a
problem sustituting one ATI card for another - I have gone from 8500LE to
9500 to 9700 to 9700 Pro without having to reinstall anything at the time of
changing the cards.

Tony

Old December 24th 03, 05:38 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:42:41 -0600, Billy S
wrote:

Hi all,
I'm finally going to update my decrepit 64MB 7200 with a 128MB 9600XT.
Am I going to have to reinstall the OS like I usually do for a new
video card?

Or can I get away with just using ATI's removal tool on the old
drivers and installing the new Catalyst driver for the 9600?

Or can I get away with just uninstalling the old driver and installing
the new one, without the removal utility since they're both ATI cards?

Download and install the latst 3.10 drivers... then change the
cards...

No OS reinstall is required...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 24th 03, 05:44 AM
LeeB18509

wrote:

Hi all,
I'm finally going to update my decrepit 64MB 7200 with a 128MB 9600XT.
Am I going to have to reinstall the OS like I usually do for a new
video card?

Or can I get away with just using ATI's removal tool on the old
drivers and installing the new Catalyst driver for the 9600?

Or can I get away with just uninstalling the old driver and installing
the new one, without the removal utility since they're both ATI cards?

Download and install the latst 3.10 drivers... then change the
cards...

No OS reinstall is required...

No doubt, I didn't get that drastic taking out an nvidia card and sticking
in the 9700... geez.. No problems.