Windows 7 for P5WD2-E

Old October 21st 13, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

Default Windows 7 for P5WD2-E

Would the ASUS driver set for Vista 32-bit work with in an
P5WD2-E Premium and Windows 7 32-bit? Hate to give up on
this motherboard and Pentium D950 combination after WinXP
end-of-life next April. We have a number of these still in
use.

TIA

GR
Old October 21st 13, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Ghostrider 00 wrote:

Would the ASUS driver set for Vista 32-bit work with in an
P5WD2-E Premium and Windows 7 32-bit? Hate to give up on
this motherboard and Pentium D950 combination after WinXP
end-of-life next April. We have a number of these still in
use.

TIA

GR

Why not just find a Windows 7 evaluation copy, and
note what chipset drivers are already installed.
That would be fun...

You could try the Windows 7 Preview for example.
Even if the activation side of things, the
"not genuine" part was there to annoy you. It
might run long enough to examine Device Manager
(devmgmt.msc) and see what got installed.

Since my laptop uses Windows 7, I take the key off
that, take a desktop PC, unplug the LAN cable,
install Windows 7 using the key, and at least
a get to see a desktop for a few days...
Eventually, it'll whine about activation.
The machine is pretty useless, with no LAN connection.
But I've done that, just to prove the DVD I downloaded
from digitalriver worked OK.

There could indeed be peripheral chips that
don't have drivers, but I expect better things
on the 975X chipset side of things. So you might
still see things that need fixing. My USB serial
port dongles don't typically get installed when
doing Win7/Win8, and have to be resolved later
via Windows Update or from the manufacturers site.

With Windows 8, and the insistence on NX, I
expect they don't need to support as much hardware,
as a lot of the old stuff gets chucked if you
use Windows 8. No need for 440BX chipset support
in Windows 8 :-)

I'm sure you can cook up some sort of test case
without too much trouble.

If you need pointers to images, look for X17-24208
or X17-24209. As those are Home Premium for download
from DigitalRiver. An official seller of OSes. I needed
Home Premium SP1 DVD images, so I could reinstall
the laptop OS with needed. I did such a house
cleaning just recently, blowing away the Acer
cruft, and leaving a nice clean OS. The cooling
fan actually runs less often now.

Sometimes, you can find "install only" keys, suitable
for an OS that insists on the key before installation
starts. With an install only key, you can later
change the key to the "real, paid" key and
complete activation.

*******

If you just want the chipset package for 975X, you
could try the Intel site. But I haven't gone hunting
for a chipset driver over there, in ages.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Paul
Old October 30th 13, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob F

Ghostrider" wrote:
Would the ASUS driver set for Vista 32-bit work with in an
P5WD2-E Premium and Windows 7 32-bit? Hate to give up on
this motherboard and Pentium D950 combination after WinXP
end-of-life next April. We have a number of these still in
use.

Have you checked with microsoft?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-with-windows

Old October 30th 13, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

On 10/30/2013 11:32 AM, Bob F wrote:
Ghostrider" wrote:
Would the ASUS driver set for Vista 32-bit work with in an
P5WD2-E Premium and Windows 7 32-bit? Hate to give up on
this motherboard and Pentium D950 combination after WinXP
end-of-life next April. We have a number of these still in
use.

Have you checked with microsoft?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-with-windows

The Windows 7 compatibility test works just well enough to
determine whether or not the computer meets the basic specs
to run Windows 7 and the status of common devices such as
printers, network cards, video, etc., and applications. It
does not do any significant hardware workup.

The point of the inquiry was to determine whether or not the
Microsoft Vista drivers would work in this motherboard that
uses the Intel i975X chipset. Intel did not write or update
this driver set for Windows 7. I was interested in hearing
the experiences of others before taking one of our working
units out for experimenting. The planned replacement is an
ASUS P9X79-PRO running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

GR
Old November 28th 13, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
jh[_2_]

Am 21.10.2013 09:30, schrieb Paul:
Ghostrider 00 wrote:

[...]

Paul,
you can even skip the Key - it works nevertheless. At least for some
days - with updates and network ;-)

regards

Jochen