Pulling my hair our !

Old December 10th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Pulling my hair our !

Hi all. I'm trying to build an Asus M32n Ws pro system and I just
can't get anywhere with it. I currently have spares for everything
including an M32N-SLI wireless deluxe MB. I have them in 2 cases and I
have tried swapping everything out - but no luck, Basically I get no
video output to the monitor. I'm using PCE-E card Asus EAX550 and
have also tried a cheapie ATI card. I briefly had a POST screen on 2
occasions, but when I rebooted with something plugged in - nothing,
and I haven't been able to get the post screen back. THe chip(s) are
dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3GHz) Socket AM2 . I'm using an
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU, and I have tried using both PC 6400 and
PC5300 DDR II RAM ( all unbuffered). I'm probably doing something mind
numbingly stupid - but I'd be grateful if someone can tell me what !
Thanks in advance for you help and time
Old December 10th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

wrote in message
Hi all. I'm trying to build an Asus M32n Ws pro system and I just
can't get anywhere with it. I currently have spares for everything
including an M32N-SLI wireless deluxe MB. I have them in 2 cases and I
have tried swapping everything out - but no luck, Basically I get no
video output to the monitor. I'm using PCE-E card Asus EAX550 and
have also tried a cheapie ATI card. I briefly had a POST screen on 2
occasions, but when I rebooted with something plugged in - nothing,
and I haven't been able to get the post screen back. THe chip(s) are
dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3GHz) Socket AM2 . I'm using an
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU, and I have tried using both PC 6400 and
PC5300 DDR II RAM ( all unbuffered). I'm probably doing something mind
numbingly stupid - but I'd be grateful if someone can tell me what !
Thanks in advance for you help and time

You HAVE fitted the motherboards to the case with standoffs? For basic
test, put motherboard on a piece of cardboard or similar insulator. Fit CPU
and cooler and connect PSU. Don't forget the 2x2 12V plug that connevts near
the PSU. Use a small screwdriver to briefly short the Power header pins on
the motherbpard. If you do not have a speaker on motherboard you will need
to connect a speaker from the case. CPU fan should start and you should get
the beep code for 'memory problem'. When you do, add memory (one stick) and
you should get code for video problem. Add things one at a time....

Mike.

Old December 11th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Cecil

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:44:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi all. I'm trying to build an Asus M32n Ws pro system and I just
can't get anywhere with it. I currently have spares for everything
including an M32N-SLI wireless deluxe MB. I have them in 2 cases and I
have tried swapping everything out - but no luck, Basically I get no
video output to the monitor. I'm using PCE-E card Asus EAX550 and
have also tried a cheapie ATI card. I briefly had a POST screen on 2
occasions, but when I rebooted with something plugged in - nothing,
and I haven't been able to get the post screen back. THe chip(s) are
dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3GHz) Socket AM2 . I'm using an
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU, and I have tried using both PC 6400 and
PC5300 DDR II RAM ( all unbuffered). I'm probably doing something mind
numbingly stupid - but I'd be grateful if someone can tell me what !
Thanks in advance for you help and time

You have bent a pin on the monitor cable's connector. Try a different
monitor and use a monitor extension cable next time to save wear and tear
on the shop monitor.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old December 11th 07, 07:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 11 Dec, 00:25, Michael Cecil wrote:
[...]

1. Rhe mob is fitted with standoofs (in both cases)
2. Monitor is working OK (usind it now on this PC
3. Just get the single beep on boot up - can also see the keyboard
being recognised.
.... you can see why I/m pullong my hair out.
Does anyone know if there may be a problem with an ATI graphics card ?
the mob has NVIDIA chipset.
Old December 11th 07, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_5_]

dual monitor card?
try the other output

Old December 11th 07, 09:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

The single beep is telling you something. It means the BIOS code was
able to initialize the RAM and the video card OK. So something between
the video card and the monitor is not working right.

If the video card was real bad, you'd be getting a video beep code. So
the BIOS, at least, thinks it has initialized the video card OK. The
BIOS could be freezing, and maybe that prevents a beep code from being
produced, so that is another possible outcome.

As JAD suggested, try the other connector on the video card. It could be,
that you have a DVI monitor, and the X550 is putting a signal on
the VGA connector instead.

Paul
Old December 11th 07, 09:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Cecil

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:50:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Start with the basic troubleshooting method - simplify. First, pull the
cmos battery for 10 minutes for the settings to revert to the default.
Disconnect everything from the motherboard and powersupply including all
extra cards and drives (both data and power cables).

With just one stick of RAM, the CPU with heatsink/fan, and the video card
plugged in (with any power cables for the video card as well), see if it
will post and if you get video.

If you don't, try the other video card that you know works.

Once you get video, start adding back devices. Your statement, "but when
I rebooted with something plugged in - nothing" would indicate something
is conflicting, or loose, or overwhelming the powersupply perhaps. So
just start slow and don't freak out. A bald geek helps nothing.
Old December 11th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob M

Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Paul has given you some good advice. I have one computer here that
will do what you describe every now and then. I have no idea what causes
it. But the next time you try to boot your system, turn the monitor off
via the power button on the monitor. Leave the computer booting up. Then
turn the monitor back on. See if you have video then. This usually takes
care of my one flaky computer until the next time it does this. It's
worth a try.

Bob

Pulling My Hair Out! mxh General 6 July 5th 07 09:37 PM
Pulling My Hair Out With PCL [email protected] Printers 4 January 12th 06 04:21 PM
Pulling my hair out trying to install XP. OM General 5 February 16th 05 07:10 PM
Pulling Out Hair: P4T-E & 250 Gig Drive Bill Anderson Asus Motherboards 10 January 29th 04 04:39 PM
Pulling my hair out trying to get a backup John Cdr 4 December 17th 03 04:30 PM