Overclockers.co.uk

Old July 12th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Default Overclockers.co.uk

Rob wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:04:51 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

Can't you threaten them with a Chargeback?

After all they have you money and your goods.

That normally gets them moving?

I'm not sure what options are open to me to be honest. I need to check
around a bit and see what I can find out.

I can't get a refund because they only offer money back for the first
28 days following purchase. After that period they stipulate that only
a direct replacement or in some circumstances "like for like"
replacements will be offered.

What they offer /may/ be less than your legal entitlements. Companies
bluff - or don't know the law themselves often.

I can't charge back because I have had the goods. I just don't have
them at the moment. They're not saying that they won't replace them
either, just that they'll replace them eventually!

Of course you can! If the goods were faulty and there's a problem
getting them fixed, get the CC co. involved. It does not matter one jot
whether you've had the goods in your hand or not. But be prepared to
document everything for them. Technically if the amount's under £100
(iirc) faulty goods are not their problem - but I believe they'll be
helpful anyway. (Was the £99 the total order including postage?) But as
you don't have the goods or any date for receiving them, I doubt whether
there'd be a problem getting the money back.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 12th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mikey

Mike is spot on there.

Goods can in fact fe guaranteed for up to SIX yes SIX years the ONE year is
the Mfrg/Retailers Guarantee. In law an item is guaranteed for at least ONE
year and up to SIX (Conditions Apply)

Don't let them blag you. Memory is Cheap as Chips (Excuse the pun) and the
should not be making all this hassle over such an inexpensive item. In fact
they should not be making this fuss over ANY item.

They should not be fobbing you off.

Call them and tell the you will be instigating a chargeback if they do not
either refund or replace. As your contract is with them not the Mfrg. Also
the 28 days they stipulated is nonsense.

Please let us know how you get on.

Mikey

Old July 12th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Vittorio Janus

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:29:47 GMT, Rob
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:14:09 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

A bit late for you now but for future ref....... You should always buy your
RAM from
Crucial

Have done so in the past. Without problems I might add. I have also
bought heaps of stuff from Choice Peripherals (I can't remember what
they're called now) Simply, and Scan.co.uk. Never had a single problem
with any of them, including the odd RMA I've had to request.

This is the first time that I've ever had any trouble with any
e-tailer that sells PC components. I've been shopping online for
around 8 years I think. I believe the first thing I ever bought was a
Matrox Mystique when they were first released.

Having now looked through the list of complaints at
resellerratings.com, and at one or two other places, I really wish I'd
checked up on Overclockers.co.uk before buying from them. It seems
that poor after sales support, lengthy waiting periods for
replacements, and the "be patient" reply to queries about RMA's and
even newly ordered goods is something of a common occurrence with
them.

Their rating at resellerratings.com is almost the lowest on the whole
site, with only a couple of other (overclocking type companies
ironically) scoring lower.

We live and learn I guess.

Never having come across resellerratings.com before, I've just had a
look. Of the last 8 reviews (by date), only one is even vaguely
satisfied. They list what was bought, what went wrong etc.. The next 9
reviews are all "Very Satisfied", typically:
QUOTE
Great service, products 100% delivered next working day. Have used
OCers for years, will continue using them....!
UNQUOTE

What makes it so very interesting is the dating. The last 8 reviews
(1 Somewhat Satisfied,7 Very Dissatisfied) run from 30 March to 11
July. The next 9 were posted on 22nd March (2), 23 March (1) and 24th
March (6). I think one can guess what the CS guys were up to that
week.
Regards,
vj
Old July 12th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Vittorio Janus

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:44:39 GMT, Rob
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:04:51 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

Can't you threaten them with a Chargeback?

After all they have you money and your goods.

That normally gets them moving?

I'm not sure what options are open to me to be honest. I need to check
around a bit and see what I can find out.

To reinforce what other posters have said, plenty of people on this
newgroup have spoken of a good response from their CCC when their
retailer has messed them about. (I can't speak from personal
experience though). You've got enough to persuade the CCC that OC are
not good news.
Regards,
vj
Old July 12th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Rob

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:29:44 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

Mike is spot on there.

Thanks go to yourself and Mike Scott for the advice, much appreciated.

Call them and tell the you will be instigating a chargeback if they do not
either refund or replace. As your contract is with them not the Mfrg. Also
the 28 days they stipulated is nonsense.

I'm almost certain that this is what I'm going to end up doing. I
think I'll write though as I understand that OcUK have a call queuing
system that cuts people off after 15 mins if no CS person is
available. Callers get charged for that privilege too! I also
understand that it is highly likely that they will just not answer the
phone at all on some days.

Please let us know how you get on.

I will certainly do that.

I will also be keeping a close eye on the goings on at
resellerratings.com. I notice that somebody else has now posted about
their recent hassles with Overclockers.co.uk

I also found an "anti-overclockers.co.uk" rather amusingly entitled
"Overcockers". It appears to have been written by a disgruntled former
employee. I enjoyed the satire!

http://www.atdd24.dsl.pipex.com/ocuk/index.htm

I understand from elsewhere on the web that OcUK is not the best place
to work. That might go some way to explaining the seemingly poor
attitude of some of their staff.

Old July 12th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Rob

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:34:35 GMT, Vittorio Janus
wrote:

What makes it so very interesting is the dating. The last 8 reviews
(1 Somewhat Satisfied,7 Very Dissatisfied) run from 30 March to 11
July. The next 9 were posted on 22nd March (2), 23 March (1) and 24th
March (6). I think one can guess what the CS guys were up to that
week.

Yes, I did notice that too.

I bet there's a heap of that kind of thing goes on those sites.
Old July 12th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Rob wrote:
I'm almost certain that this is what I'm going to end up doing. I
think I'll write though as I understand that OcUK have a call queuing

Find the MD's name - or at least try to find any suitable /name/ in the
company, and send it recorded. (And keep a copy and the receipt :-) )

system that cuts people off after 15 mins if no CS person is
available. Callers get charged for that privilege too! I also

Nice profit centre :-)

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old July 12th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jeff

Mike wrote:
snip
A bit late for you now but for future ref....... You should always buy your
RAM from Crucial

I'll second that! They've just replaced a stick for me that was about 5
years old without hassle.. Around a 4 day turnaround with emails sent at
each stage. They may not always be the cheapest, or fastest, but their
warranty is superb.

Old July 12th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Conor

In article , Jeff says...
Mike wrote:
snip
A bit late for you now but for future ref....... You should always buy your
RAM from Crucial

I'll second that! They've just replaced a stick for me that was about 5
years old without hassle.. Around a 4 day turnaround with emails sent at
each stage. They may not always be the cheapest, or fastest, but their
warranty is superb.

Actually if you include the fact that the postage is free, they're a
few pence cheaper than Scan/Aria if you're just ordering RAM.

I've not used anything other than Crucial since 2000 and as a result
I've never had an issue from RAM. I put it in all my customers machines
as well.

--
Conor

"I have as much authority as the pope, I just
don't have as many people who believe it" - George Carlin
Old July 12th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Rob
opened his gob and said:

After that period they stipulate that only
a direct replacement or in some circumstances "like for like"
replacements will be offered.

Yes, but when? When hell freezes over?

--
Cheers,