Acer BIOS Update Failures

Old February 17th 07, 07:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
redbrickhat

Default Acer BIOS Update Failures

Does anyone have experience in BIOS updating old Acer computers?

I have an old Acer Power SE computer which I just upgraded to a new
CPU (800 Mhz P3). Now whenever I boot I get the errors "CPU BIOS
UPDATE CODE MISMATCH" and "Equipment Configuration Error."

Now according to the Acer support site, I am supposed to upgrade the
BIOS using "update /f per_p_01.pdb". Then for the Stepping Code Update
I am supposed to run "checkup5 - p per_p_10.pdb."

But when I try the "update" program, it says it detects a CPUID = 686h
and then freezes. Likewise, when I run the "checkup5" program, it also
says it detects a CPUID = 686h and also freezes.

I am wondering if I have to set some jumpers or CMOS settings to allow
a BIOS upgrade, because it doesn't seem that the BIOS upgrade programs
are able to flash.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old February 17th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Torfinn Ingolfsen

redbrickhat wrote:
Now according to the Acer support site, I am supposed to upgrade the
BIOS using "update /f per_p_01.pdb". Then for the Stepping Code Update
I am supposed to run "checkup5 - p per_p_10.pdb."

Perhaps you need to run the BIOS update before you upgrade your cpu?
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
Old February 18th 07, 12:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
redbrickhat

On Feb 17, 6:54 am, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
redbrickhat wrote:
Now according to the Acer support site, I am supposed to upgrade the
BIOS using "update /f per_p_01.pdb". Then for the Stepping Code Update
I am supposed to run "checkup5 - p per_p_10.pdb."

Perhaps you need to run the BIOS update before you upgrade your cpu?
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway

I'm pretty sure it should work.

According to the Acer "Stepping Code Update" page:

"Start the system without drivers (DOS boot diskette) and run the BU
code update program. The program will display the stepping data and ID
for your CPU (value in brackets).

Identify the source code file that contains the correct, matching
steppings and values for your CPU (the attached pdb file contains most
stepping codes)

Run the program Chekup6.exe with the parameter call to the correct
source file as shown in the following example:
eg. For Example : checkup6 -p per_p_10.pdb

After the update, and a full re-start of your system, all settings
will be correct and the error message will no longer be shown. "

However, whenever I run either the "update" program or the "checkup6"
program, they just hang.

When I run "update /f per_p_10.pdb", I get the following:

"Search Computer Processor
CPUID = 686h
Search BIOS Micro Code Block:
3 found

Update BIOS Micro Code:
CPU = 686h =="

Then nothing happens.

If the "update" program doesn't work, can I use "aflash.exe" to
upgrade the BIOS using the per_p_10.pdb file?