Holy Fuk, USB probably killed a person. Wiii To Stopud

Old July 19th 13, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Default Holy Fuk, USB probably killed a person. Wiii To Stopud

Skybuck Flying wrote:
And another motherfokker bites the dust:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3623233.html

BBBZZZBBZZZZ OUCH !

iShock, iDead.

Bye,
Skybuck.

There is an analysis of a cheap third-party wall adapter here.

http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside...d-why-you.html

The failings of that design includes insufficient creepage and clearance
on the high voltage primary. As well as a single insulated transformer.
There is a good chance, the engineer who designed it, knew it was
never intended to pass national safety standards.

*******

One way of verifying the safety of a product, is with hipot testing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipot

(There is a second variation called "Hot Hipot" testing, here.)

http://www.extech-electronics.com/article_2.htm?q=92

If you look at your ATX power supply, you may see a sticker or
stamp, attesting to hipot testing having been done. It's a way
of verifying the primary isn't shorted to the secondary side.
And that the isolation barrier hasn't been defeated, while
an elevated voltage is applied. By testing at higher than normal
voltage, the intent is to demonstrate safety at normal voltage levels.

*******

And all the attention to details, reduces the risk, but
doesn't entirely eliminate the risk. Ungrounded wall adapters
(two prong), are still not entirely risk free, even with
careful design. Well designed two prong wall adapters
are just less likely to kill you, than the $3.75 adapter.

If the chassis of the mobile computer, had no exposed metal
parts, and the thing was entirely plastic and glass, that too
would help. But some connectors on the thing, are unavoidable.
A recessed connector would help, except if you're standing
in the bath and dripping water on the connector. And you
still need a failed wall adapter, to make that a dangerous situation.

And Skybuck is the poster boy for this, having received
a shcok from his (improperly) ground PC :-) iShock indeed.
Still no word on Skybuck getting his apartment wiring fixed...

Paul
Old July 20th 13, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
hamilton

On 7/19/2013 1:49 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:08:55 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:30:24 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

After my DreamPC was killed by USB a real human being seems to have been
killed by USB:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._132540098.htm

A quick investigation into iPhone charging leads to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1476

A USB cable to be plugged into the power wall socket ?! WTF ?! Yup...
it's now official... Apple is insane !

Might as well stick your fingers directly into the power wall socket and
safe yourself the trouble from getting an usb apple killer cable.

Holy ****: this seems dangerous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaqwXQ527I

Only a few millimeters of clearance from the plug to the cable... when
somebody touches that usb thingy... ZZZZAAAAP ?!????

The Apple branded USB chargers are robust designs and appear to be quite
safe.

She was in China .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-b9k-0KfE

A real one he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh0A6jNOrk

Old July 20th 13, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Robert Wessel

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:30:24 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

After my DreamPC was killed by USB a real human being seems to have been
killed by USB:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ch..._132540098.htm

A quick investigation into iPhone charging leads to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1476

A USB cable to be plugged into the power wall socket ?! WTF ?! Yup...
it's now official... Apple is insane !

Might as well stick your fingers directly into the power wall socket and
safe yourself the trouble from getting an usb apple killer cable.

Holy ****: this seems dangerous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaqwXQ527I

Only a few millimeters of clearance from the plug to the cable... when
somebody touches that usb thingy... ZZZZAAAAP ?!????

The Apple branded USB chargers are robust designs and appear to be quite
safe.

They're also tested and meet UL/CSA standards.

Somewhere on the Internet there's a review of a cheap Chinese counterfeit
charger, which is a horror. If the poor woman was using one of those
then (a) the charger could be at fault, (b) it's not a problem with
Apple, and (c) it's a problem with Chinese laws, society, and government.

As mentioned here, I've taken a couple of these things apart and they
are absolute death traps. If your life is worth $1.50 feel free to use
one. They would NEVER pass safety standards. If they don't kill you
they might burn your house down. Get them wet and bad things will
happen- and one had debris inside that could connect the 5V to the
hot.

As a cynic I wonder if Apple is not pursuing the copycats in the hopes
that a few people will die and first world consumers will subsequently
buy only their stuff rather than considering responsible clones.. they
have unauthorized Apple logos as well as fraudulent UL/CSA/FCC marks.

Aren't the Apple chargers just the standard wallwart with a mains plug
on one side and a USB-A receptacle on the other? There are a million
of those, and I'm sure that some are done right, and others are
dangerous utter crap. I'd assume Apple's are good.

Or is the idea that someone slapped an Apple label on a (bad) generic
adapter?
Old July 20th 13, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Glenn[_5_]

On 20/07/13 07.45, Robert Wessel wrote:
Aren't the Apple chargers just the standard wallwart with a mains plug
on one side and a USB-A receptacle on the other? There are a million
of those, and I'm sure that some are done right, and others are
dangerous utter crap. I'd assume Apple's are good.

Or is the idea that someone slapped an Apple label on a (bad) generic
adapter?

Apple adapters are quite good:

May 19, 2012, Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive
package:
http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-...n-quality.html

October 27, 2012, A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good,
but not quite the best:
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-doze...-apple-is.html

USB Power Supply/charger Test:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/usbPow...Test%20UK.html

/Glenn
Old July 20th 13, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Glenn[_5_]

On 20/07/13 10.00, Glenn wrote:
[...]

The fake App. adapters is dangerous:

Tiny, cheap, and dangerous: Inside a (fake) iPhone charger:

Old July 20th 13, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

"
Apple adapters are quite good:

May 19, 2012, Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive
package:
http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-...n-quality.html
"

4 millimeters seems nonsense to me. I have seen blue electricity arcs jump
over about 1 centimeter, maybe even more.

Perhaps 4 millimeters is enough for USA 110 volts... I cannot imagine it to
be enough for 220 volts.

Come to think of it... that chinese power supply in my old pentium III 450
mhz popped... and perhaps also there not enough clearance and such...

Also one dutch woman claims her iPhone was given her son and her a shock...
and she will never buy another iPhone ever again

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 20th 13, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Chris S.[_3_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
bel.net...

"Glenn" wrote in message ...

[...]

At what voltage? Or do you have any idea?

Chris

Old July 20th 13, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

"Glenn" wrote in message ...

[...]

European union/Netherlands, so probably 220 volts.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 20th 13, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Chris S.[_3_]

"
"I have seen blue electricity arcs jump
over about 1 centimeter, maybe even more."

At what voltage? Or do you have any idea?
"

European union/Netherlands, so probably 220 volts.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Then no, you haven't....

Old July 20th 13, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:45:47 -0500, the renowned Robert Wessel
wrote:

Or is the idea that someone slapped an Apple label on a (bad) generic
adapter?

You can buy Apple-look-alike (on the outside) adapters with or without
Apple-like markings, down to the Apple logo and "Designed in
California" and green dot.

Apple could shut these guys down by taking legal action in China, but
they're many and fly-by-night and will likely pop up somewhere else.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany