I need to buy a scanner for OCR purposes

Old January 31st 05, 01:05 AM
Interesting Ian

Default I need to buy a scanner for OCR purposes

Hi,

I'm after a scanner which is good for ocr'ing books and
documents. I don't think I'll want to use it for anything else. Does
anyone have any recommendations? I have a preference for buying a cheap
one, but which does its job competently, and for buying somewhere over the
Net if possible.

Thanks.

Old January 31st 05, 10:15 AM
Vittorio Janus

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:05:23 GMT, "Interesting Ian"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm after a scanner which is good for ocr'ing books and
documents. I don't think I'll want to use it for anything else. Does
anyone have any recommendations? I have a preference for buying a cheap
one, but which does its job competently, and for buying somewhere over the
Net if possible.

Thanks.

Look in alt.binaries.e-book.d. This question gets a regular airing
there with sensible answers from people making heavy use of a scanner.

Regards
vj
Old January 31st 05, 11:03 PM
John Ray

Interesting Ian wrote:

Hi,

I'm after a scanner which is good for ocr'ing books and
documents. I don't think I'll want to use it for anything else. Does
anyone have any recommendations? I have a preference for buying a cheap
one, but which does its job competently, and for buying somewhere over the
Net if possible.

Thanks.

Pretty well any scanner will do; what matters is the quality of the OCR
software. The sort of stuff which is bundled with scanners is usually
fairly basic and may not be able to cope with columns (for example) very
well.

--
John Ray
Old February 1st 05, 05:57 PM
Dave

wrote:

Hi,

I'm after a scanner which is good for ocr'ing books and
documents. I don't think I'll want to use it for anything else. Does
anyone have any recommendations? I have a preference for buying a cheap
one, but which does its job competently, and for buying somewhere over the
Net if possible.

I have one of these:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3362...html?srcid=867

Canon 3200f (£44). OCR software can cope with columns etc and the
scanner is nice and fast on USB2 + 2Ghz processor. Amazon used to do
them for £40 inc delivery but that deal seems to have ended.
--
Remove any underwear before replying by email