Undelete Utility for .avi files which works?

Old October 9th 07, 10:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
news.rcn.com

Default Undelete Utility for .avi files which works?

Does anyone know which undelete utility works to recover an .avi file
please? I need it for one avi file which my Archos DVR accidentally deleted.

I have tried freeundelete but it recovers it as some type of corrupted DIVX
file which I don't seem to be able to repair. I am a bit unwilling to pay to
buy a utility which I would use once and which might do the same on this 2
gig file of which I actually need only a few megabytes.

I don't think it was designed for avi files although I cant understand how
it can recover a file into anything other than the condition it was in
before the delete took place? Is there a possibility that it might work if
run again a few times? It takes (at least)overnight to do whatever it does

Old October 9th 07, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Oct 9, 10:44 pm, "news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote:
Does anyone know which undelete utility works to recover an .avi file
please? I need it for one avi file which my Archos DVR accidentally deleted.

I have tried freeundelete but it recovers it as some type of corrupted DIVX
file which I don't seem to be able to repair. I am a bit unwilling to pay to
buy a utility which I would use once and which might do the same on this 2
gig file of which I actually need only a few megabytes.

I don't think it was designed for avi files although I cant understand how
it can recover a file into anything other than the condition it was in
before the delete took place? Is there a possibility that it might work if
run again a few times? It takes (at least)overnight to do whatever it does

My guess is that your Archos DVR is a FAT32 device. My recent testing
with FAT 32 devices indicates that the upper 16 bits of the FAT
pointer are often cleared when the file is deleted. This makes
recovery difficult, even if the directory entry still exists.

Also, is the file you want likely to be a contigious files, or could
it be fragmented. Again, my tests indicate that an incomplete .avi
file does not run. Partial MPEGs can work quite well.

You can try the demo of my software, www.cnwrecovery.com and this will
indicate if you will get files (maybe .wav extension) of the correct
length. You will need to do a Raw Image, and split on file starts.
However, the software at the moment does not handle fragmented files
when dealing with Raw recovery. I am prepared to offer you a free
licence on the basis that you buy a licence ($19.99) if you can
recover your files.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com

Old October 10th 07, 02:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
isaac4all

I will advice to insect your operating system disk to recover your
missing file or you can go for a utility works to recover an .avi
file. I recommend you visit
1. Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=380557

2. Tigerdirect
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...pe= 4&subid=0

I hope I did helped you out

Isaac okoye
Information Rules the World
http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com

Old October 10th 07, 03:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
news.rcn.com

Sounds reasonable: I wasn't prepared to pay twice or three times that amount
to not recover one file (of which I have a copy, though emphatically not as
good quality).

This was the first file ever written to an empty DVR so I doubt it was all
that fragmented

ups.com...

Old October 10th 07, 04:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

isaac4all wrote:

I will advice to insect your operating system disk to recover your missing file

Using white ants and borers presumably. Brilliant.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Old October 18th 07, 10:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Andreas M.

Maybe "Recuva" (search Google) can help ?

--
Greetings,
Andreas M.