LCD vs. CRT?

Old July 13th 03, 04:05 PM
Larc

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:17:07 GMT, Ancra pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| LCDs have limited viewangle.
| LCD monitors differs in quality in respect of contrast, color
| representation and usable viewangle. Currently, there's an enormous
| difference between the better and the mediocre, so look around.
| LCD monitors don't have quite the valuerange and color accuracy of
| CRTs. They are always sharp and stable though. They also lack the
| flexible resolutions of CRTs. They work best at a single resolution.
|
| LCD monitors also loose about 50% of their maximum brightness in 2
| years. That sounds like a much bigger concern than it actually is,
| though. Don't be alarmed, you'll probably buy a new monitor before you
| start noticing it in ernest, anyway. I haven't noticed anything. The
| lamp is also supposed to be replaceable, though I've never heard of
| anyone that has actually done it.
|
| CRT's are big monsters that take up all of your deskspace. You also
| need hired help to move the monsters around. They're bulky, awkward,
| and very heavy. My best CRT, a big Mazellan, is every bit as sharp as
| my LCDs, but I havent really seen that otherwise. CRTs normally have a
| sort of built in analog AA . Latest crop of LCDs colors are supposed
| to be improved, but neither of my LCDs are any match at all, when it
| comes to colors, for any of my CRTs.

One more decided minus for LCDs: they're too slow! I can dash the mouse pointer
across my CRT screen and the movement is fairly smooth and defined. Doing the
same thing on an LCD results in very spotty and ill-defined movement, somewhat
like an old silent movie. Rapidly changing text looks funny. The pixels are
noticeably slow to change anytime there is rapid display activity.

I'm convinced that today's LCDs simply aren't the definitive computer monitor.
They are very probably just a stopgap measure before something different and
much better comes along.

In the meantime, I'll just stick with my old ViewSonic 21" CRT monster, thank
you. :-)

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old July 13th 03, 09:05 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:47:37 GMT, Larc wrote:

I'm not gonna buy one at all. Too many shortcomings.

Larc

FOr now I'll pass on the LCD too. I have the space for a large CRT.
LCDs are improving, though.
Old July 16th 03, 12:43 AM
lates

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:47:37 GMT, Larc wrote:

I'm not gonna buy one at all. Too many shortcomings.

Larc

FOr now I'll pass on the LCD too. I have the space for a large CRT.
LCDs are improving, though.

TOO MUCH LAG IN THE SCREEN ITS ALMOST LIKE WATCHING IT FROM A BAD GRAFX CARD
LOL

LATES.

Old July 16th 03, 08:51 PM
Mr Tuvok

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "Brooks" wrote:

I heard CRT monitors can make you sterile and gives off alot of radiation. I
know it does give off some, but is it really that harmful? I mean i am on
the computer ALOT and it does kind of concern me. And do LCD's not give off
radiation or anything? They are completely harmless?

I started seeing spots & feeling queasy from my CRT. I sold it at a
loss just to get rid of it.NEVER AGAIN will I buy one.
Old July 17th 03, 01:43 AM
Bruno

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:51:45 GMT, Mr Tuvok
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "Brooks" wrote:

I heard CRT monitors can make you sterile and gives off alot of radiation. I
know it does give off some, but is it really that harmful? I mean i am on
the computer ALOT and it does kind of concern me. And do LCD's not give off
radiation or anything? They are completely harmless?

I started seeing spots & feeling queasy from my CRT. I sold it at a
loss just to get rid of it.NEVER AGAIN will I buy one.

I've been trying to get my wife pregnant for the last 10 years while
enjoying the clarity of a Sony 21" CRT. Perhaps I need to get the
sperm checked.