UFS 'limits'?

Old June 1st 06, 01:02 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

Default UFS 'limits'?

Mark wrote:
anon wrote:
thanks, i've been perusing the opensolaris.org zfs forums
and
reading some of the Sun stuff also... i may just ask Sun,
i'd love
to see white papers that indicate they hammered a system
with a
billion files on it or something.

I saw a presentation of ZFS at the London OpenSolaris users' group a
while back, and I remember them talking about the ZFS nightly torture
test. They do something insane like create millions of files, rename
them, delete them, etc. all while modifying disk pools, creating /
breaking mirrors - all sorts of mad stuff that you'd never,ever in a
thousand years put a live production system through. And to cap it off,
they regularly simulate power faliure into the mix as well while doing
all that. From what I recall hearing, they've never lost any data or
had a corrupted filesystem in the whole time they've been running it.

Can anyone from Sun clarify or confirm that ?

-Mark

I've read the same thing. See page 32 of the LOSUG presentation:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...ff-bonwick.pdf

More good stuff at:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...presentations/
Old June 1st 06, 01:05 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

In article ,
anon wrote:
Are you really talking about 100 Million entries per
dir?

no, ~100,000,000 total files and dirs... no more than
about 45 files max within a single directory.

Then neither UFS nor ZFS have a problem.

--
(home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
(uni)

Old June 1st 06, 03:17 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

Joerg Schilling wrote:
In article ,
anon wrote:
Are you really talking about 100 Million entries per
dir?

no, ~100,000,000 total files and dirs... no more than
about 45 files max within a single directory.

Then neither UFS nor ZFS have a problem.

But with UFS you maybe cannot even fsck this filesystem any more - in case
you have to (with logging very unlikely you have to fsck, but not impossible).

fsck would require several GB of memory to check this filesystem - but the
binary is still shipped as 32-bit and cannot allocate more than 3.9 GB.

With 1.5 Mio files fsck grew to ~50MB peak usage. Expect this number to
scale ~linear with the number of blocks/inodes allocated.

--
Daniel
Old June 1st 06, 04:57 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

I've read the same thing. See page 32 of the LOSUG presentation:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...ff-bonwick.pdf

I remember that now. Wow. "Probably more abuse in 20 seconds than you'd
see in a lifetime... ZFS has been subjected to over a million forced,
violent crashes without ever
losing data integrity or leaking a single block"

Just a pity I've had to deploy Solaris 10 now instead of being able to
wait for ZFS. Still, I suppose that's what Live Upgrade is for!

-Mark

Old June 4th 06, 09:44 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

On Wed, 31 May 2006 20:27:10 +0000, Wes Williams wrote:

yes the world's first
128-bit filesystem

Does ZFS provide support for the "near POSIX" ACLs that Sun's UFS provides?

- Andrew

Old June 4th 06, 10:30 PM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

Andrew Gideon writes:

Does ZFS provide support for the "near POSIX" ACLs that Sun's UFS
provides?

ZFS uses NFSv4-style ACLs, which are a superset of POSIX:

NFSv4 introduces a powerful new ACL model. It's powerful enough
that every POSIX-draft ACL can be translated into an NFSv4
ACL. But NFSv4 ACLs can go beyond POSIX-draft semantics; thus, not
all NFSv4 ACLs can be translated into POSIX-draft ACLs.

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sam...cls_everywhere

There's RFC draft that describes the mapping:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/n...mapping-04.txt

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Old June 5th 06, 06:54 AM posted to comp.unix.solaris,comp.arch.storage

On 4/6/06 10:30, in article , "David Magda"
wrote:

Andrew Gideon writes:

Does ZFS provide support for the "near POSIX" ACLs that Sun's UFS
provides?

ZFS uses NFSv4-style ACLs, which are a superset of POSIX:

A presentation by Tim Graves at last year's LOSUG suggested ZFS ACLs were
"NFSv4/NT-style ACLs".

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/commun...zfs-technical-
jeff-bonwick.pdf

I don't know how different POSIX ACLs are from NT ACLs, so what impact them
being more NT-like than POSIX-like would have.

Cheers,

Chris