Hazards of hard disk internals in the house

Old March 16th 06, 05:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Hazards of hard disk internals in the house

John Weiss wrote:
"Warra" wrote...
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!
Old March 16th 06, 05:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Dave wrote
John Weiss wrote
Warra wrote...

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe to
use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or
can be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the
shards are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Some were at one time.

Old March 16th 06, 10:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:15:56 -0500, Dave
wrote:

John Weiss wrote:
"Warra" wrote...
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Think Deathstar.

Most aren't.
Old March 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Ceramic. Like ovenproof dishware.
I was under the impression most drives used them now.

news

Old March 16th 06, 09:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Eric Gisin wrote:
Ceramic. Like ovenproof dishware.
I was under the impression most drives used them now.

"Dave" wrote in message
news

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Maybe, but not in the 120MB era.
Those were just aluminium disks.
You bend them,and you see the chromium?? layer
break up(much harder then the disk itself).
I have not yet come up to the point of
disassembling gigabyte disks yet(they have to
fail first -)-)-)-) ).
Old March 16th 06, 10:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sjouke Burry wrote:
Eric Gisin wrote:
Ceramic. Like ovenproof dishware.
I was under the impression most drives used them now.

"Dave" wrote in message
news

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Maybe, but not in the 120MB era.
Those were just aluminium disks.
You bend them,and you see the chromium?? layer
break up(much harder then the disk itself).
I have not yet come up to the point of
disassembling gigabyte disks yet(they have to
fail first -)-)-)-) ).

I dissassembled some "DeatStars". Definitely metal platters.
My guess that you need to look in the 200GB area for the
ceramic platters.

Arno

Old March 17th 06, 12:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Weiss wrote:
"Warra" wrote...
I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house. Maybe
to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter while having a
coffee and then find that the platters have some toxic coating or can
be a hazard!

Can anyone tell me.

The platters are very thin & brittle glass.
When they shatter the shards are deadly sharp!

GLASS?

Glass substrate, actually.

U sure about that?!

Think Deathstar.

Think any current IBM/Hitachi, probably.

Most aren't.

Define 'most'. If most then it must be easy to name one, right?

So what did they do to solve the problems with aluminum
substrate platters that the glass substrate was to solve ?
Old March 17th 06, 12:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave" wrote in message news
The platters are very thin & brittle glass.
When they shatter the shards are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Maybe, but not in the 120MB era.
Those were just aluminium disks.
You bend them, and you see the chromium?? layer break
up (much harder then the disk itself).
I have not yet come up to the point of disassembling
gigabyte disks yet (they have to fail first -)-)-)-) ).

I dissassembled some "DeatStars".

Definitely metal platters.

Then they obviously weren't the 75GXP and 60GXP a.k.a "DeathStar"s.

Old March 17th 06, 02:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:17:03 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

Most aren't.

Define 'most'. If most then it must be easy to name one, right?

I meant most older drives, I've opened quite a few from past
years, typically up to 60GB size and they weren't glass
unless there's a new glass formulation that allows it to
bend. That doesn't necessarily mean most new drives are, it
wouldn't be surprising if many have switched to glass or
ceramic in more modern models.

So what did they do to solve the problems with aluminum
substrate platters that the glass substrate was to solve ?

No idea, was it actually solving a problem or same thing
different day, they they'd merely hoped to increase density
more, and sought lower expansion and more rigid platters?
Supposedly they're thinner too but I don't know that this is
necessary unless there are several platters in the drive.
Old March 17th 06, 06:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave" wrote...

The platters are very thin & brittle glass. When they shatter the shards
are deadly sharp!

GLASS? U sure about that?!

Technically? No. Practically? Yes.

The HD in my old laptop failed, so I took it apart to destroy the platter.
I took a pair of pliers to it, and it shattered into a thousand shards.
They sure looked and acted like glass!