What is the effect of Grammes per Square metre on a printer?

Old June 27th 03, 05:41 PM
jbuch

Mark Bridgett wrote:
Hi all,

I have an Epson 3000 printer which doesn't seem to like some of the
special inkjet paper I have. The paper is 190g/m2 but the printer
spec says 90g/m2 is the limit. My question is - what effect would
this have?

The printer was printing OK, but recently has started printing only
part of a page before ejecting the sheet of paper. As the paper costs
2 UK pounds per sheet and we have already spent 300 pounds on an Epson
engineer who obviously hasn't fixed it the costs are escalating. I
intend to go back to Epson but if they know the paper is 190g/m2 is
this enough of an argument for them to say "that's what the problem is
then".

thanks a lot
Mark

You are putting a much heavier grade of paper through the printer than
what Espon says is "official". In rough numbers, the paper you are
putting through is twice as thick as was allowed.

If I were Epson, I would claim that you abused the printer by excess
thickness of paper and voided the warranty.

Because, you did exceed the recommended paper thickness limits (weight
and thickness are about the same, except for very porous paper where
very porous paper of 90 gm/squaremeter can be thicker than a denser
(less porous)100 gm/squaremeter paper.

Jim Buch

Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com

Old June 27th 03, 06:00 PM
Henry

Default What is the effect of Grammes per Square metre on a printer?

Mark Bridgett wrote:

Hi all,

I have an Epson 3000 printer which doesn't seem to like some of the
special inkjet paper I have. The paper is 190g/m2 but the printer
spec says 90g/m2 is the limit. My question is - what effect would
this have?

The printer was printing OK, but recently has started printing only
part of a page before ejecting the sheet of paper. As the paper costs
2 UK pounds per sheet and we have already spent 300 pounds on an Epson
engineer who obviously hasn't fixed it the costs are escalating. I
intend to go back to Epson but if they know the paper is 190g/m2 is
this enough of an argument for them to say "that's what the problem is
then".

So, this paper is over twice as heavy (i.e., over twice as thick) as
your printer is rated for. Perhaps this is causing errors in the 'feed'
or 'transport' timing or whatever the system is called that carries the
paper through the machine in the right way so that the ink sprays where
it is supposed to. Maybe the machine ejects the page after only part of
it is printed because the heavier weight of the paper slows the transit
down, and the printer thinks it should have completed printing before it
actually does?

Wild conjecture.

Have you tried using the recommended maximum 90g paper? Does that work
properly?

cheers,

Henry
Old June 27th 03, 06:06 PM
John Houghton

"Mark Bridgett" wrote in message
om...
I have an Epson 3000 printer which doesn't seem to like some of the
special inkjet paper I have. The paper is 190g/m2 but the printer
spec says 90g/m2 is the limit. My question is - what effect would
this have?

The specification says paper from 45 to 90 g/m² is supported.
For genuine EPSON paper and media the maximum
weight is 194 g/m² (where compatible media is suitable)

It's a similar story for other printers - the heavier weights are supported
for Epson media only. My 1290 only supports up to 251gsm Epson
paper (though the recommended Premium Glossy is 255gsm!).

I would find some similar Epson media and hope that the fault can
be demonstrated with that.

John

Old June 27th 03, 08:14 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

On 27 Jun 2003 08:50:22 -0700, Mark Bridgett wrote:

=
=I have an Epson 3000 printer which doesn't seem to like some of the
=special inkjet paper I have. The paper is 190g/m2 but the printer
=spec says 90g/m2 is the limit. My question is - what effect would
=this have?

Higher numbers mean thicker paper, whether grammes/sq m or lbs. Don'rt use
paper that's thicker than the printer (or copier, etc) can handle.

--
Wolf Kirchmeir

If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on the train?
(Garrison Keillor)

Old July 4th 03, 02:01 PM
Mark Bridgett

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just hadn't appreciated the
difference the paper would make. The slightly odd thing is that the
printer did work absolutely fine for quite a while. Maybe as one of
the responders says, it has pushed the rollers out of alignment or
similar.

Annoying after spending 2K on a printer that can't take InkJet paper!
Still, live and learn I guess.

thanks again
Mark