MCP73VE PC no Boot

Old July 16th 19, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Default MCP73VE PC no Boot

Hi,

History: my MCP73VE PC was working when I transported it by car to shop to
see about a new CPU (Q9650) cooler fan. When I brought it back home I dusted
the CPU Cooler duct and tightened the CPU screws. Nothing I haven't done in
the past.

Current work: When I got home the PC would not boot, did not show the POST
screen and gave me no access to BIOS program or F12 multiboot selection.
I left it for a few days and consulted WWW for ideas. One idea related to
the Battery. I checked the battery, in place with a multimeter. Other than
the CPU, I can find no chips requiring a push to resocket. I checked the
power/data connections to my SSD SATA drives.

My conclusion is that maybe my Intel Q9650 is not working for some reason.
When I last renewed my PSU I used better thermal grease. I think worrying
about the socket CPU would not be fruitful. On the other hand the Intel
Q9650 got fried by static? To me, this is not reasonable because it is
fully enclosed in metal.

Maybe the MOBO got damaged? My new PSU gave voltages that permitted PC boot.
I have a MCP73VE design PDF schematic that says "Voltage design should be
covered +5V, +3.3V, +12V, +5VSB, -12V (attention to 12V output capability)"
As I reported here earlier -12V is near zero but the PC has always booted. I
think this is universal since PSUs never give -12V

I have the SSD SATA drives that retain 11+ years of work. There are a number
of valuable parts to carry over to my next MOBO, if required: 8GB of DDR2
Samsumg memory, Intel Q9650 if not damaged, GTX970 GPU, new PSU

I would welcome suggestions. Thanks.

Old August 25th 19, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

I finally got my desktop PC to show a boot screen, after I re-seated the
Q9650 CPU chip. I removed the GPU card and HDMI output. Instead, I plugged
in a VGA monitor. Windows reported errors and would not boot. This happens
reproducibly when there are RAM error. I re-seated the RAM chips that were
loose. Then I ran Linux dongle 'check memory ' app that Paul suggested. It
immediately reported numerous error. That and the fact that the CPU
temperature got critical suggests a bad motherboard. I will need to buy a
new MOBO.

That PC is my research computer. I do better radiological computing than
employed radiologists who don't have time to spare. I have set up a GoFundMe
page:

https://www.gofundme.com/mri-3d-imag...r-me-and-world

, which I set up to raise funds for my PC repair so I can carry on with MRI
3D reconstruction. On the page, I display an image of CT 3D reconstruction .
Mint Medical is the German company, funded by the German Cancer Society,
https://mint-medical.com.

Please visit this page and please donate so that advanced radiological
computing can be supported. The image shown is a result of my FOI data
request. My kid sister had open heart surgery. Because of my medical
condition with a major left chest wall defect, I would not be eligible for
surgery and I would be expected to ask for Medically Assisted dying. I don't
want to die.

Please make a small donation for scientific research. Donors can get some
free publicity that might be of value for professionals.

Thank you.

Old August 26th 19, 04:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
[...]

Intel DQ45CB (microatx with Q45, one DVI-I, one DVI-D for integrated graphics)
("Memory Type: DDR2 SDRAM") Likely 16GB address space. Usual
Intel preferences (bytewide memory mainly, 8 chips per side). $30+ship

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DQ45C...d/163795865116

Takes Q9650, although power looks to be three phase or so.
The BIOS version is missing from the table! What does that
mean ?

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DQ45CB.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...op-boards.html

You could check locally, and see if any are available.
These likely started as a "package of 10" motherboards,
and the seller is parting them out one board at a time.

The Q45 has an internal GPU, and also has Management Engine (boo!).

I would check your local Ebay and see if something similar is available.
The part number on this one, suggests it started life in a "box of one",
so probably came with a single SATA cable and an I/O plate.

https://www.ebay.de/p/Intel-DQ45CB-L...board/71439276

One problem with these tail-ender products, is never knowing
whether the support info on them is correct or not. Like, BIOS
version.

We get refurbs over here, and I managed to get one downtown here
with Windows 7 on it. And, the shop owner gave me a hologram DVD
to go with (because refurbs don't have a "restore image", so
you're left to your own devices to restore the OS later). It came
with a COA sticker, so reinstall is possible. I don't know if
other countries have this "wealth of electronic garbage", but
we seem to be swimming in it here. I was surprised that some would
be sitting in a shop window here, but it was. These will likely
be too expensive, and pointless, when all you need is a motherboard.

The Q45 chipset seems to support DDR2 and DDR3, because I can find
items with both kinds of sockets. You have to check carefully if
you expect to reuse the RAM you've got. I think the DDR3 would
work a tiny bit better.

And motherboards could be ATX, microATX, or BTX. The BTX is no
good for a regular ATX computer case, so don't buy one of those.
I think the Intel board above is microATX. Dell likes to use BTX
in that era of motherboard.

Baby boomers have to expect this kind of medical care.
I'm getting a CT scan this week, but the doctor warned
me that it's likely I won't be treated. Just a bunch of
radiation for nothing. That's probably why I had
low priority in the queue. I don't actually
know why they got around to me...

Good luck with your project,
Paul

Old September 16th 19, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Thanks Paul,

But an mATX will not work for me. I have PCI devices and a 400W power
supply. I have 8GB DDR2 RAM in two modules. An ATX MOBO with four DIMM slots
would support dual channel memory. Here's one for your comment:

ASUS P5QD TURBO LGA775 Socket ATX DDR2 P45 motherboard dual PCI Q9650
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5QD-T...-/303209371562

It is refurbished but it is cheap. Can you suggest anything related? Thanks.

Old September 16th 19, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
Thanks Paul,

But an mATX will not work for me. I have PCI devices and a 400W power
supply. I have 8GB DDR2 RAM in two modules. An ATX MOBO with four DIMM slots
would support dual channel memory. Here's one for your comment:

ASUS P5QD TURBO LGA775 Socket ATX DDR2 P45 motherboard dual PCI Q9650
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5QD-T...-/303209371562

It is refurbished but it is cheap. Can you suggest anything related? Thanks.

The board in your Ebay entry is missing the Northbridge heatsink.
In this picture of the same board, you can see the heatsink
in the picture. It's not a 40mm heatsink either, and the retainers
are weird looking (probably not fun to find a replacement).

https://cdn.alzashop.com/ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=AC810e9

*******

There's a similar one on this side of the Atlantic, but that's
probably not going to help you. This is a P43 based board.
Actually, it's pretty hard to tell exactly where this
seller is located, as the delivery date is all wrong for
a seller here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P5QL-P...AOSwl8ZdZcT u

I tried ebay.de and the pickings were pretty slim. Lots
of BTX boards nobody is going to be able to use and so on.

Paul

Old September 19th 19, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Thanks Paul,

For correcting my mistake.

[...]

I have ordered an Intel Q9650 CPU cooler. The old cooler was party to the
death of my motherboard. Its bearings failed and vibrated, inducing
sympathetic (harmonics) throughout the frame.. Q9650 needs TPI of 95W. I was
getting kernel events regarding temperature induced slow down with my bad
CPU cooler.

What do you think of this MOBO? :

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/P45-Motherbo...N R:rk:1:pf:0

Its a good price, good features, good peripherals. It seems to be related to
other MOBOs on that page. Its dimensions do not conform to ATX or
derivatives. My question is if the holes for mounting screws would line up
with my ATX? Then I can keep the case, PSU, CPU, 8GB DDR2 RAM, SSDs, etc.
Thanks.

Old September 19th 19, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
Thanks Paul,

For correcting my mistake.

[...]

Is that three phase power ?

The advert claims it has a UEFI BIOS. Which implies a later
date of manufacture than original LGA775 motherboards.

Notice there is no branding printed in white on the motherboard,
similar to what you'd find with a PCChips motherboard.

The lineage is important. We need to see a "CPU Support" chart,
to make sure the Q9650 has sufficient power, and the three phase
power won't overheat. You can get about 33W per phase, for a
Richtek design. Many other setups, the phases are designed for less
power each, and there are more phases to compensate. To drive
more power, may require MOSFETs with higher gate capacitance,
which benefits from 8 pin buffer chips per power phase. (If
you don't buffer up the phases, the main regulator chip gets
too hot. The gate capacitance is around 3000pF. On a RichTek, the
frequency it switches at is relatively low compared to some
of the others. The others may have better transient response.)

It helps, with any motherboard, to have people saying they
didn't have trouble getting the "top" processor in the line,
to work on it. That's why I would prefer to track down the
branding, if I could figure it out.

The same motherboard. These adverts keep saying SATA III,
which is unlikely.

"4 x SATA3 Connector (3GB/s)" No! 3Gbit/sec is SATA II, consistent with LGA775

It's more likely a SATA II board.
This lists DDR3 slots in this advert. Obviously,
you just sling in bull****, when writing adverts.
What fun!

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Moth.../dp/B07M6478X7

Here's another advert. In this one, the motherboard model is "V7R8" and not "M2O6".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motherboa...-/113781756709

"Brand: Unbranded/Generic"

The adverts also say:

1 x PCI-E 2.0 x 16 Slot
1 x PCI-E x 1 Slot === looks "PCI" to me

I've been using the ASIN number to track these.

On this one, the sticker next to the DIMM slots,
looks to be Chinese.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133144664026

I wish they would identify the NIC chip.
I would not want to discover it was the PCI one.

Paul
Old September 27th 19, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why

"Paul" wrote [snippage]

Thanks again Paul for corecting my mistake.

I ordered an Intel 95W TDP CPU cooler fan but it has not yet arrived. It was
coming from a reputable supplier, Newegg or Amazon. I even recall seeing a
tracking number. Now I need to pore through my records to detemine where it
is. Maybe still in customs? Just think I used a Q9650 CPU for years and
neglected to upgrade the CPU cooler fan, That caused me grief.

Today I ordered a replacement ATX mother board:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L Desktop Motherboard P45 Socket LGA 775 For Core 2
Pentium
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382969846902
From China.
Price, quality and shiping look good to me.

Comments?. Thanks.

Old September 27th 19, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm Why wrote:
"Paul" wrote [snippage]

Thanks again Paul for corecting my mistake.

I ordered an Intel 95W TDP CPU cooler fan but it has not yet arrived. It was
coming from a reputable supplier, Newegg or Amazon. I even recall seeing a
tracking number. Now I need to pore through my records to detemine where it
is. Maybe still in customs? Just think I used a Q9650 CPU for years and
neglected to upgrade the CPU cooler fan, That caused me grief.

Today I ordered a replacement ATX mother board:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L Desktop Motherboard P45 Socket LGA 775 For Core 2
Pentium
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382969846902
From China.
Price, quality and shiping look good to me.

Comments?. Thanks.

There are 9650 entries in the CPU support table.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-cpu

Board has polymer caps.

I hope your DIMMs meet Intel expectations.

When you start the system *test with one of your DIMMs first*.
This will give an opportunity to evaluate what the motherboard
thinks of the DIMM. Check whether the entire DIMM is registered
when tested that way. I use nothing but 2GB DIMMs in mine
from that era. I have 4x2GB config of DDR2 on an X48 chipset.

Paul
Old September 27th 19, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why

"Paul" wrote in message
Norm Why wrote:
"Paul" wrote [snippage]

Thanks again Paul for corecting my mistake.

I ordered an Intel 95W TDP CPU cooler fan but it has not yet arrived. It
was coming from a reputable supplier, Newegg or Amazon. I even recall
seeing a tracking number. Now I need to pore through my records to
detemine where it is. Maybe still in customs? Just think I used a Q9650
CPU for years and neglected to upgrade the CPU cooler fan, That caused me
grief.

Today I ordered a replacement ATX mother board:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L Desktop Motherboard P45 Socket LGA 775 For Core 2
Pentium
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382969846902
From China.
Price, quality and shiping look good to me.

Comments?. Thanks.

There are 9650 entries in the CPU support table.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-cpu

Board has polymer caps.

I hope your DIMMs meet Intel expectations.

When you start the system *test with one of your DIMMs first*.
This will give an opportunity to evaluate what the motherboard
thinks of the DIMM. Check whether the entire DIMM is registered
when tested that way. I use nothing but 2GB DIMMs in mine
from that era. I have 4x2GB config of DDR2 on an X48 chipset.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the advice. I found my Q9650 cooler fan $31.04 purchase from
Amazon.com by looking at my credit card records. I cannot understand where
the other records went. I used the tracking number search. This is where it
gets weird. It was shipped from Sweden. Its arriving October 4 - 28. The
MOBO from Hong Kong may arrive before it.