Legend 100CD CD Rom issues

Old July 2nd 04, 04:49 PM
Morkai Kurst

Default Legend 100CD CD Rom issues

I have an elderly Legend 100CD that has win3.11

It came with the Master multimedia CD and boot disks which is great. However
when I try and restore the hard drive from the cdrom drive it can't read the
CD. The bootdisk loads the drivers and I can browse to the drive in DOS,
however when I hit Y to confirm I want to restore windows or do a DIR
command it tells me it can't read from the CD-Rom drive. (I have checked the
cd in another machine and its fine. In fact the CD itself is in mint
condition not even a scratch on it.)

I did find a website that sold spare Packard Bell parts for the 100CD but
they wanted 152 dollars for the drive..

Anyway, unless there is any method to get the current one working how do I
install a new one? I switched it out with a Sony CDU571 and found some dos
drivers. I put the Atapi_cd.sys on the boot disk and edited the AutoExec and
Config.sys files to use the new driver but it tells me no drives are
connected when I boot up. I'm 99.9% sure this is a working cd-rom drive. I'm
wondering if the way its connected through the soundcard is making a
difference or perhaps that this drive is from a Compaq (could they have
altered it in some way to not work on other machines?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Old July 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
metronid

Many of the original CD's 170210 per exxample
had know problems
There are 2 additional revisions for this CD
-02 and -03 because of your stated problem
There were no variations in the floppy
The read problems were on the master cd
Pristine condition would have no bearing

Now if you used the Cd before and it
is known to work and has failed this time
and you are using the same CDROM
I would suspect the buufer is bad on the CDROM

Just being able to read a cd in dos and moving
files are 2 different things
Installation from the CD requires the files
to move from the CD buffer to a ramdrive and
on to the Harddrive

You could try moving the files to the HD
Type at the C prompt copy d:*.*
If it does a good copy then I suspect the Master Cd

If it does a poor copy
The Cd drive is most likely bad

You can make all the files in nwindows as
this Master Cd has an image of dos622 and win311
and all the other files

You can then install off the floppies

Dos 622 is a 4 cd set only 1st 3 are needed
Win311 is 8 disks only first 8 needed

You could also just install windows 98
if you have abot 16 MB Ram
Windows 95 will need about 8

This machine has 4 onboard

Old July 2nd 04, 11:13 PM
Ben Myers

First of all, the CD-ROM drive connected thru the sound card may not be an
IDE/ATAPI drive. Check the label on the connector on the sound card, and/or
count the pins on the connector. If it's labeled "IDE", than that's what it is,
but being an early IDE implementation, it may not work with a newer CD-ROM
drive.

From your description, it sounds very much like the sound card connector is
either not IDE/ATAPI or too old to handle a newer drive.

If the motherboard has a spare IDE/ATAPI channel or an available IDE connector
on one of its cables, it is better to hook up an IDE/ATAPI drive there.

Next, the motherboard is old enough that it won't boot from a CD-ROM. You need
a boot disk for the operating system you want to restore. So visit
www.bootdisk.com , download the bootdisk image you need, and make a bootable
floppy diskette to start off the whole process.

$152 is pretty outrageous, given street prices of new CD-ROM drives. But some
companies will try to gouge people whom they think are ignorant. Not a good way
to do business, nor a way to get repeat customers... Ben Myers

Old July 3rd 04, 01:27 AM
metronid

I never read past the first the first paragraph
I am getting old
or
I need to maximize the window and use scroll

By the way
My wife resizes everything why I am at bwork

He sure will not get it to work off the sound card
The 2nd CDROM if it is an IDE one
Did not check out a CDU271
Sounds like an IDE Cdrom to me

I would like to see his modifications on the auto and config

What confuses me
Is why he wants windows 311

Back to Ebay

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
First of all, the CD-ROM drive connected thru the sound card may not be an
IDE/ATAPI drive. Check the label on the connector on the sound card,

and/or
count the pins on the connector. If it's labeled "IDE", than that's what

it is,
but being an early IDE implementation, it may not work with a newer CD-ROM
drive.

From your description, it sounds very much like the sound card connector

is