OEM vs. Retail hard drive

Old August 28th 10, 06:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mm

Default OEM vs. Retail hard drive

I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that the OEM drive
won't include and SP3 won't have?

I have cables already, but I haven't chosen a drive. I've been
looking at http://www.directron.com because they have a good price on
a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Docking station.

Thanks.
Old August 28th 10, 10:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Aug 28, 6:53*am, mm wrote:
I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. * *I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that the OEM drive
won't include and SP3 won't have?

I have cables already, but I haven't chosen a drive. *I've been
looking athttp://www.directron.com*because they have a good price on
a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Docking station.

Thanks.

Normally you just install the drive in a spare slot and turn PC on.
You will probably need to format it, but Windows will usually prompt
you to do that automatically. Drivers are part of XP.

The most difficult part normaly is working out how to remove the main
case of the PC. A philips screw driver and all will be OK

Michael

www.cnwrecovery.com
Old August 28th 10, 03:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

On 8/28/2010 1:53 AM, mm wrote:
I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that the OEM drive
won't include and SP3 won't have?

I have cables already, but I haven't chosen a drive. I've been
looking at http://www.directron.com because they have a good price on
a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Docking station.

Thanks.

There aren't any special device drivers for different drives, that would
be a nightmare. They all conform to a standard specification, for which
you can use a single standard driver (usually supplied by Microsoft, if
you're talking Windows). The Microsoft driver will also work identically
whether you have older IDE drives, or the newer SATA.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 28th 10, 05:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mm

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 02:05:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 28, 6:53*am, mm wrote:
I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. * *I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that the OEM drive
won't include and SP3 won't have?

I have cables already, but I haven't chosen a drive. *I've been
looking athttp://www.directron.com*because they have a good price on
a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Docking station.

Thanks.

Normally you just install the drive in a spare slot and turn PC on.
You will probably need to format it, but Windows will usually prompt
you to do that automatically. Drivers are part of XP.

Thank. It's only been 3 years since I put in an IDE drive, but I've
already forgotten what that required. Nothing, I guess. Maybe
that's why I forgot.

The most difficult part normaly is working out how to remove the main
case of the PC. A philips screw driver and all will be OK

LOL. Well this was a DELL and I used a flat blade screwdriver to pull
back the side cover. Then later I realized that the rubber L moved
down to release the hooks. I'm lucky I didn't bend anything.

Michael

www.cnwrecovery.com

Old August 28th 10, 05:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mm

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:50:40 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 8/28/2010 1:53 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

Thanks. BTW, I did look at several webpages about this and they just
confused me.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 28th 10, 08:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

mm wrote:

I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

Nope.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Then you are fine if you meant SP3 Home and Pro.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that
the OEM drive won't include and SP3 won't have?

Nope.

I have cables already, but I haven't chosen a drive. I've been
looking at http://www.directron.com because they have a
good price on a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Docking station.

OEM drives are fine.

Old August 28th 10, 08:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

mm wrote:
I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

OEM vs. Retail hard drive. I'm not concerned about the warranty,
but that I've never installed a SATA drive before and this will be the
only drive on the computer.

I have XP Home or maybe Pro SP3.

Does a retail box contain drivers or instructions that the OEM drive
won't include and SP3 won't have?

No. HDDs do not need drivers, and in fact you cannot get any.
HDD controllers are a different stpry, but their drivers
do not come with the drive either. Best find out what
controller you have and get the drivers beforehand from
the manufacturer web-page. That is if you plan to do
a new installation. If not, the drivers should already be
in there.

On a new installation, it is also good to have some way to
access the web and burn CDs in case you do need some
specific drivers after all.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old August 28th 10, 08:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

wrote:

On 8/28/2010 1:53 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

That does not surprise me. There are a lot of incompetent people
out there that still insist in distributing their wisdom.

Simply remember that for HDDs, you need a driver for the controller
(may already be in the OS, but does not need to be for Windows),
but that HDDs themselves never need drivers.

Arno

Old August 28th 10, 08:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mm

On 28 Aug 2010 19:32:01 GMT, Arno wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Thanks Arno and Rod.

And all the answers here were clearer than the webpages!

I have already dl'd a copy of all the drivers to another computer and
will probably burn them to copy to the new computer.

The question about XP Home or Pro is a complicated XP question, which
I guess would be OT for this ng, but I'll gladly tell it/ask about it
if encouraged to.
Old August 28th 10, 09:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 8/28/2010 12:11 PM, mm wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:50:40 -0400, Yousuf
There aren't any special device drivers for different drives, that would
be a nightmare. They all conform to a standard specification, for which
you can use a single standard driver (usually supplied by Microsoft, if
you're talking Windows). The Microsoft driver will also work identically
whether you have older IDE drives, or the newer SATA.

Thanks. BTW, I did look at several webpages about this and they just
confused me.

I understand. Now, the more complicated answer, which Arno has already
alluded to is whether or not your hard drive "controller" needs a
driver. The HD controller is usually built into the motherboards these
days, so the driver for that controller is included into the overall
driver for the motherboard. However, it is still possible to buy an
aftermarket controller card, also known as a host-bus-adapter (HBA),
which you would plug into one of the internal PCI expansion slots. That
type of controller would need its own driver to be supplied, because the
operating system would need to know how to communicate with that HBA.
Once the OS knows how to talk to the HBA, then any hard disks you plug
into that HBA will just use the standard disk drivers too.

So if you're just buying a new hard disk (SATA or IDE) and just plugging
it into one of the existing motherboard controller plugs, then you have
nothing to do, the driver for the motherboard controller has already
long-since been installed when the system was first setup. But if you're
also installing a new HBA controller card into the system, then you'll
have an additional driver to install.

Yousuf Khan

MS Office OEM or Retail? Pat Dell Computers 8 August 28th 04 04:49 AM
3400+ Retail or OEM Kristopher Francisco Overclocking AMD Processors 10 June 10th 04 03:11 AM
OEM vs Retail XP TR Gateway Computers 4 April 21st 04 04:34 AM
OEM or Retail CPU? Coron Overclocking AMD Processors 5 November 11th 03 07:03 PM
Retail box or OEM Paul the D Homebuilt PC's 6 August 31st 03 10:32 PM