puzzled about files on disk

Old August 14th 10, 04:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sobriquet

Default puzzled about files on disk

Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.

If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg

How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek
Old August 14th 10, 11:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Aug 14, 4:43*am, sobriquet wrote:
Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.

If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg

How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek

Do you have NTFS compression enabled forall or some of the files?

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
Old August 14th 10, 11:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sobriquet

On 14 aug, 12:19, " wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:43*am, sobriquet wrote:

Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.

If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg

How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek

Do you have NTFS compression enabled forall or some of the files?

Michaelwww.cnwrecovery.com

Not that I know of. In the main properties for the drive, I don't have
the box checked for compressing files on that volume to save space.
Old August 14th 10, 03:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Aug 14, 11:23*am, sobriquet wrote:
On 14 aug, 12:19, " wrote:

On Aug 14, 4:43*am, sobriquet wrote:

Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.

If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg

How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek

Do you have NTFS compression enabled forall or some of the files?

Michaelwww.cnwrecovery.com

Not that I know of. In the main properties for the drive, I don't have
the box checked for compressing files on that volume to save space.- Hide quoted text -

Try a chkdsk and see if the results stay the same.

Michael
Old August 15th 10, 04:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

sobriquet wrote:

Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.

If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg

How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek

Probaly sparse files. NTFS does now write blocks that are filled
with zeros.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old August 16th 10, 12:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sobriquet

On 15 aug, 05:33, Arno wrote:
sobriquet wrote:
Hi.
Something baffles me. Perhaps someone here can explain it.
If I go to the properties of my C drive on my laptop, the size
reported is smaller than the total size of the files and folders on
drive C:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2843/dataa.jpg
How can the size of all selected files and folders on the C drive
exceed the total capacity of that same C drive?
Greetings and thanks in advance for any explanations, Niek

Probaly sparse files. NTFS does now write blocks that are filled
with zeros.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
GnuPG: *ID: 1E25338F *FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C *0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
----

But surely, if there had been previous data on disk that has been
deleted, it would have to write blocks of zeros if a file contains
nothing but zeros, otherwise the file would contain data from files
that had been stored on that block previously?
Old August 16th 10, 04:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

sobriquet wrote:
On 15 aug, 05:33, Arno wrote:
sobriquet wrote:
[...]

No. It does not even allocated blocks that would contain all zeros.
This is done by the block-to-file mapping mechansism.

A sparse file only gets blocks allocated for the parts that contain
actual data.

Arno

Old August 16th 10, 07:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
sobriquet

On 16 aug, 05:43, Arno wrote:
sobriquet wrote:
On 15 aug, 05:33, Arno wrote:
sobriquet wrote:
[...]

Ah ok.. but only on NTFS, or on FAT16/32 as well?
Old August 16th 10, 07:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Brown[_2_]

On 16/08/2010 08:39, sobriquet wrote:
On 16 aug, 05:43, wrote:
wrote:
On 15 aug, 05:33, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Only NTFS (on Windows - lots of file systems on *nix support sparse
files too).

Old August 16th 10, 08:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

David Brown wrote:
On 16/08/2010 08:39, sobriquet wrote:

A sparse file only gets blocks allocated for the parts that contain
actual data.

Arno

Ah ok.. but only on NTFS, or on FAT16/32 as well?

Only NTFS (on Windows - lots of file systems on *nix support sparse
files too).

The mechanism may be a bit different: On *nix, a spares file
has blocks unallocated that were not written. These return zeros
on reading, but if you write zeros they get allocated. (Found
that out the hard way....) If I understand this correctly,
NTFS does not allocate blocks if you write all zeros to an aera.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----

puzzled about cooling behaviour of IBM laptop. John S General 7 July 22nd 07 10:56 AM
IM puzzled! Julian Hales General 9 September 5th 04 12:33 AM
Puzzled about capture formats Sherwin Dubren Ati Videocards 0 December 4th 03 08:00 AM
XP setup not reading disk files Keland Homebuilt PC's 3 August 23rd 03 03:37 PM
Puzzled about multsession disk Click Cdr 3 August 12th 03 01:38 AM