Lacie F800 2tb Raid drive failure

Old July 14th 10, 02:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Peter Kemp

Default Lacie F800 2tb Raid drive failure

I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
out of warranty devices.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement? Anyone know if
the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 14th 10, 07:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Jul 14, 2:05*pm, Peter Kemp wrote:
I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
out of warranty devices.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement? Anyone know if
the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would expect any make of drive to work. It may be safest to make it
the same size, but in theory, a larger one will work, but the extra
space will be ignored.

As for replacing all drives with larger sizes, it may be a question of
try it and see. It may depend on how well the raid handles
addressing, and if you want a large say 3TB or 6TB drive (RAID 5) or
if you want to partition it to 2TB stripes. XP does not handle more
than 2TB out of the box, Vista and Windows 7 does. If you could
'borrow' some drives, it is worth a try.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
Old July 14th 10, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Peter Kemp wrote:

I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is over three years old and Lacie won't give any
advice for customers with out of warranty devices.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like
the drive isn't manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Thats an outrageous price for a 500GB Maxtor.

Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the
shelf 500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement?

Unlikely to need an exact replacement.

Anyone know if the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID
came with?

That question should be resolvable on the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 15th 10, 02:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Peter Kemp wrote:
I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
out of warranty devices.

Sp forst advice: Replace this pice of trash with something were
you can get help during the heardware lifetime.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Expensive. And these drives are not very good.

Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement?

RAID does not make much sense if you need an exact replacement.
It just needs to be the same size or larger, not just the same
size class, i.e. make sure it hast the same bumber of bytes or
more. The easiest way is to use a drive one size-class larger,
here a 649GB or 750GB drive.

Replacement should not be a risk (but running the RAID without
backup in degraded state is). In the worst case it will just
not work.

Anyone know if
the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?

Huh? I though you had data on that array? Anyways, why throw good
money after bad? Or does this thing have 8 slots? Anyways,
the place to look is the device documentation and if it does not
say to assume that it will not work.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old July 15th 10, 04:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:05:12 -0500, Peter Kemp
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
out of warranty devices.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 ...

How did it fail? Does it still spin up, or attempt to spin up? If not,
then it will most likely have a PCB fault which may turn out to be an
easy DIY repair.

- Franc Zabkar
Old July 16th 10, 01:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Peter Kemp[_2_]

Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every second
or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA 500gb drive
they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed message using the
new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA 133 and the WD is a
100. Could that possibly be why the drive is failing to be recognized?

According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
drive the same size or larger.

For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were
about due for a complete backup so we're not really losing anything we
don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace
the drive with an exact duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new
drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
more. Thanks for the advice.

FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS
and an expensive tape drive) and only the current drive is still
operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

Old July 16th 10, 07:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Peter Kemp wrote:

Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every
second or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA
500gb drive they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed
message using the new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA
133 and the WD is a 100. Could that possibly be why the drive is
failing to be recognized?

Nope. Its much more likely that what you are plugging the drive into has failed.

According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
drive the same size or larger.

Thats typical.

For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were about due for a complete backup so we're not really
losing anything we don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace the drive with an exact
duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
more. Thanks for the advice.

FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS and an expensive tape drive) and only the
current drive is still
operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

I always have.

Old July 17th 10, 03:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Peter Kemp wrote:
Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every second
or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA 500gb drive
they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed message using the
new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA 133 and the WD is a
100. Could that possibly be why the drive is failing to be recognized?

No. Possibly the new drive is too small. Drive size in a class
varies by up to something like 1% for diefferent models.

According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
drive the same size or larger.

Yes. But it needs to be byte exact same or larger size.

For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were
about due for a complete backup so we're not really losing anything we
don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace
the drive with an exact duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new
drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
more. Thanks for the advice.

Ah, I see.

FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS
and an expensive tape drive) and only the current drive is still
operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

I completely agree. They have replaced engineering with design.

Arno