SAN devices & OS compatibility

Old March 1st 07, 12:46 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Steve Adams

Default SAN devices & OS compatibility

Hello.

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
representing unformatted disk space?

I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
Netware.

Thanks.

Steve Adams

Old March 1st 07, 03:09 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On 28 Feb 2007 16:46:20 -0800, "Steve Adams"
wrote:

Hello.

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
representing unformatted disk space?

I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
Netware.

Thanks.

Steve Adams

I can;t recall what the official term for it is but I believe it has
to do with low level SCSI reservations for things like failover.

For arrays like STK, you have to specify what type of OS you are using
on specific ports. For the HDS they do port virtualization so you can
run any OS on any port and still get those low level functions.

If the array has not been tested with Netware it may still work but if
you try and use the cool clustering feature I bet it will barf.

~F

Old March 1st 07, 01:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Steve Adams

On Mar 1, 5:16 am, "Gunhaver05" wrote:
So the HBA and the driver are approved for the OS and by the storage
vendor?

The HBA is approved. It's a QLogic board. The Netware driver for the
HBA is also from QLogic, though I don't think it's certified by Sun.
Sun hasn't certified Netware, so I don't imagine they certify the HBA
driver for that OS.

Old March 1st 07, 02:00 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Igor Batinic

Hello!

Steve Adams wrote:
On Mar 1, 5:16 am, "Gunhaver05" wrote:
So the HBA and the driver are approved for the OS and by the storage
vendor?

The HBA is approved. It's a QLogic board. The Netware driver for the
HBA is also from QLogic, though I don't think it's certified by Sun.
Sun hasn't certified Netware, so I don't imagine they certify the HBA
driver for that OS.

You may also need multipath SW and (sometimes) management agent. You can
do it without them, but management si much easier and multipathing can
be a big issue (I don't know how Netware handles it).

On the other hand, if they say "it is not supported" it does not
directly says "it is not working".

Best regards,

Iggy
Old March 1st 07, 04:51 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Guy Dawson

Steve Adams wrote:
Hello.

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

Has anyone said it won't work or just that they don't know that it
will work?

It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
representing unformatted disk space?

I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
Netware.

It more likely needs to be certified if you want it to be supported.

It may well work fine but that does not mean Sun know enough about
Netware to be able to offer you support.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Old March 5th 07, 08:04 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Dirk Munk

Steve Adams wrote:
Hello.

I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

Depends what you call compatible.

Fibrechannel SAN storage has at least two distinct layers. The first one
is the fibrechannel network layer itself, the second one is the SCSI
layer on top of that.

Even if you have the latest drivers and the latest firmware for your HBA
in your system, that doesn't mean it is compatible with just any kind of
SAN storage. You may try it, and the storage may seem to work correctly.
However you can't tell if it will work correctly in any given situation.
For instance when you look at all the different settings that are
possible on a EMC DMX in order to make it compatible for the different
types of O.S., then that may give you a clue that things are not so simple.

In fact many system manufacturers have their own firmware for standard
SCSI drives. One and the same Seagate SCSI drive will have different
firmware when used in a SUN Solaris environment or when it is used in a
HP environment. Depending on the manufacturer there may be regular
firmware updates for these drives. So if even a normal SCSI drives isn't
"standard" enough to be used in any system, then you will understand
that SAN storage isn't "standard" enough either.

These certifications are by no means just a paper thing. Some storage
manufacturers (HDS for instance) are very strict on the precise driver
that is used in conjunction with their storage. Your driver is a couple
of versions too new? No support!

IDE devices [email protected] General 6 August 26th 06 04:28 AM
USB Devices MartinC General Hardware 2 August 12th 04 03:26 PM
more than 4 IDE devices pesid General 1 February 22nd 04 06:56 PM
D845PEBT2 MB and USB2.0 devices ? Can't get 2 USB2.0 devices to work at once. Phil Tomaskovic Intel 0 December 13th 03 04:03 AM
More than 4 ide devices? Pete Bradbury General 8 November 1st 03 01:03 PM