Latitude E6410 and UEFI - a warning

Old September 4th 13, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Latitude E6410 and UEFI - a warning

I tried to set up a Dell Latitude E6410 last week, and whoever had it before me toggled the UEFI setting in the BIOS. This leads to disaster. I installed Win 7 Pro with the UEFI setting and the system would not boot at all after Win 7 was completely installed. Then I rebooted and pressed F12. The resulting menu showed both the older legacy boot menu choices and the UEFI ones. So I picked the UEFI hard drive and the system booted. (The extra sludge of a UEFI partition was present.) But wait a minute! No self-respecting person is gonna wanna hit F12 every time the system powers up.

So I went into the BIOS and selected legacy boot and reinstalled again. Same mess, and same dual choices of legacy and UEFI boot.

Seems to me that the E6410 BIOS is defective, all versions including the last A15 BIOS.

I finally fixed the problem by wiping the drive clean, then reinstalling with legacy settings. The system now boots up without recourse to the F12 key, and the F12 menu still shows both legacy and UEFI device choices. Seems to me it ought to be one or the other. And why not?

UEFI is not to be confused with UEFA, the governing body of European football, known as soccer in this country... Ben Myers
Old December 10th 13, 04:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
ps56k[_3_]

Default Latitude E6410 and UEFI vs BIOS - a warning

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

--------
always learn something just reading the Subject lines, and clicking the
interesting ones...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface

Old July 3rd 14, 08:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

How did you reinstall with legacy settings. I used a quick format software to wipe HD. Then installed Win7 Pro, but afterwards, I still have to press F12 to get it to boot. If I don't, a blank screen displays with a flashing line, and it never goes past that. I always have to boot into UEFI - Windows Boot Manager.

Also, I can't enter the BIOS because it is locked by the previous owner, and I can't get the password to unlock it. Is there a way to wipe this password as well?

Robby

Old July 4th 14, 03:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:58:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have some software to remove the password from a Dell BIOS. Here is an article about Dell laptop password removal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/to...removal.18780/

If the suggestions in this article do not work for you, send me an email and I'll send back a ZIP file with the software on it. You need to put it onto bootable DOS media though. My email is

Here's another link, FWIW:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8114539AAKGkpy

UEFI tb Homebuilt PC's 3 January 1st 13 08:46 PM
X58 and UEFI bios's Jim Asus Motherboards 2 March 7th 11 11:34 PM
X58 and UEFI bios's Jim Gigabyte Motherboards 0 March 7th 11 02:47 PM
UEFI Cameo[_2_] Overclocking 2 October 22nd 10 08:24 PM
E6410 laptop backup & restore obstacle Bill[_15_] Dell Computers 3 August 5th 10 03:29 PM