Any really good, reliable, easy to use disk imaging programs for Win 7/64bit?

Old September 10th 10, 12:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Smarty

Default Any really good, reliable, easy to use disk imaging programs for Win 7/64bit?

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
and the user interface to be cluttered.

Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
program out there to take the place of Acronis?

In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
than I am willing to deal with.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

Old September 10th 10, 01:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Smarty wrote:

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of
the earlier versions for many years, and am finding the latest
version to be buggy and the user interface to be cluttered.

So if you prefer the UI etc in the earlier versions, why not go back to one of those ?

Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and
recovery program out there to take the place of Acronis?

Nope.

In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage,
and a few others, but until recently Acronis seemed to
work well, was fairly fast, and had few if any bugs.
The newest 2010 version has been more
problems than I am willing to deal with.

Then go back to one of the versions you like.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Old September 10th 10, 03:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 09/09/10 07:48 pm, Smarty wrote:

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
and the user interface to be cluttered.

Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
program out there to take the place of Acronis?

In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
than I am willing to deal with.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

Macrium Reflect seems to work well -- even the free version, but the
non-free version (US$50 ?) adds extra features. I haven't used Acronis,
so I can't compare the two.

Perce

Old September 10th 10, 06:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Smarty

Rod Speed wrote:

Smarty wrote:

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of
the earlier versions for many years, and am finding the latest
version to be buggy and the user interface to be cluttered.

So if you prefer the UI etc in the earlier versions, why not go back
to one of those ?

Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and
recovery program out there to take the place of Acronis?

Nope.

In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage,
and a few others, but until recently Acronis seemed to
work well, was fairly fast, and had few if any bugs.
The newest 2010 version has been more
problems than I am willing to deal with.

Then go back to one of the versions you like.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

As the Subject line indicated, I am looking for Windows 7 / 64 bit
compatibility. Although I did not explicitly state that the earlier
versions of Acronis are NOT compatible, they unfortunately won't work.

Thus, I am requesting suggestions for good, reliable, easy to use disk
imaging for Windows 7 / 64 bit, as the subject line indicated, and
welcome any constructive suggestions.

Thank you Rod.

Old September 10th 10, 07:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Macrium Reflect seems to work well -- even the free version, but the
non-free version (US$50 ?) adds extra features. I haven't used Acronis,
so I can't compare the two.

Perce

As with Perce, I have used Macrium Reflect (free edition) on Win 7
64. Seems OK. I have not tried Acronis

Michael
Old September 11th 10, 01:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Smarty wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Smarty wrote

[...]

OK.

Thus, I am requesting suggestions for good, reliable, easy to
use disk imaging for Windows 7 / 64 bit, as the subject line
indicated, and welcome any constructive suggestions.

I'd personally accept the fact that Acronis does fix important bugs
quickly and just accept the fact that the UI isnt to your taste now.

The UI is really not much more than a minor consideration, what matters is that its reliable.

Maybe use the free version of Macrium Reflect in the mean time. I dont care for its UI myself.

Old September 11th 10, 02:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Smarty

Rod Speed wrote:

Smarty wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Smarty wrote

[...]

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I was entirely unaware of
Macrium (and worse yet, would have erroneously assumed Macrium was a
product for Macs!). I will download and try it out.

Thanks again!

Old September 11th 10, 04:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Smarty

Sam wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:48:57 +0000 (UTC), "Smarty"
wrote:

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be
buggy and the user interface to be cluttered.

What have you found buggy with it? I havent had much use of any of
the versions....either the older or newer. I do know the new versions
are not backward compatible.

My problems with this version of Acronis fall into 2 categories, the
first a failure of the program to complete the backup, posting an error
"Corrupted File List" with an error code, the second issue being an
inability to effectively do a restore from a supposedly verified
archive. Both problems are intermittent, do not occur with the prior
version, and are poorly documented in Acronis' Knowledge Base online.

Emails and webform requests to their support people go unanswered.

Now in my migration to 64 bits Windows 7 I am looking for a solid
solution. I have thus far tried Macium Reflect per the suggestions made
in this thread.

It appears to run very smoothly, taking less time than Acronis to do a
backup (29 minutes versus 44 minutes for 126 GB partition), leaving a
moderately compressed archive of essentially the same size (87 versus
83 GB).

To my dismay6, I cannot get the rescue CD to boot on my machine,
despite having tried the alternatives provided. Thus I have what appear
to be perfectly adequate backup but no way to restore!

The Linux-based rescue disk appears to have some driver issue with my
machine but I am not entirely sure. It appears that a WindowsPE can be
had by purchasing Reflex as well as WindowsPE 32bit or 64bit from
Microsoft. I may try that next but hate to spend the money and find
that I am still without a working rescue CD.

Still experimenting......

Thanks again to all for help, and any other recommendations are
welcome. Some folks on the Macium forum have made reference to Paragon
as another imaging source. I wonder if that is any good?

Old September 11th 10, 06:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Smarty wrote:

I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
and the user interface to be cluttered.

Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
program out there to take the place of Acronis?

In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
than I am willing to deal with.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

Looked at paragon free and did not like it as it cannot verify
the backed up data aginst the original. I found numerous
problems in the past by doing compares after backups.

My impression is that most programms cannot do a compare or at least
do not ooffer it as defaults. Possibily because users do not want
to wait twice as long.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----