Maximus VII Hero with Hyper 212 Evo

Old January 31st 15, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
B00ze/Empire

Default Maximus VII Hero with Hyper 212 Evo

Good day.

I plan on getting an Asus Hero VII board, and use air cooling on the
CPU. That board has all I need, but I am worried about the heatsinks
that are over the voltage regulators around the CPU. They /look/ huge,
and I am afraid they will get in the way of air coolers, specifically
the Hyper 212 Evo that I have (and I suspect many other coolers).

The 212 is 37mm high before the fins appear and it becomes wider, so if
the heat sinks are less than ~40mm high, I think we're all good. But I
downloaded Asus's User Manual and it doesn't say how high the sinks are.

I looked on the AsusTek forums and in Google, but haven't found a good
answer for this question. Someone asked this on TomsHardware, but the
answer he got makes no sense :-(

Can anyone help?

Thank you much.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Member-+-David-Suzuki-Foundation/EFF/Planetary-Society-+-

Old January 31st 15, 08:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

B00ze/Empire wrote:
[...]

The pictures on Newegg are a little too fuzzy for an estimate.

But this one is pretty clear.

http://wccftech.com/asus-z97-motherb...ries-detailed/

http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/...r1-635x423.jpg

It looks to me, like someone is trying to bring the top of that two-piece
heatsink, to the same height as an installed (regular) DIMM PCB.

The way they make and "dress" these now, they're not content to use
the simplest geometric shapes (flat top), so you cannot be
absolutely certain of the dimensions.

If I use an engineering drawing of a DIMM socket, the clearance
there suggests 26mm to the latch (rotational clearance zone).
It's 22.8mm in the closed position. These come in all sizes though,
with standard, low profile, very low profile, and I assume I got a
standard one in the following document. It seems to line up roughly
with my Asus board from August of this year (24mm by measurement).
(It's hard to see in there, and I couldn't really see the plastic
scale all that well.)

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/782940001_sd.pdf

So my guess as to the height of the plastic dressing on top
of the two-piece VCore heatsink, is 30mm.

And my DDR3 DIMM sockets were the "single latch" design, which means
ejection doesn't really work all that well. Yours might be the same.
Some people seem to like those, but they get a "meh" from me. I know
the single latch design, was used so DIMM slots could be butted up
against the back of a video card, but I still don't like it. Now they
use them, even when the design doesn't call for them.

Paul
Old January 31st 15, 12:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter Johnson[_4_]

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 03:51:33 -0500, Paul wrote:

And my DDR3 DIMM sockets were the "single latch" design, which means
ejection doesn't really work all that well. Yours might be the same.
Some people seem to like those, but they get a "meh" from me. I know
the single latch design, was used so DIMM slots could be butted up
against the back of a video card, but I still don't like it. Now they
use them, even when the design doesn't call for them.

I guess they are cheaper to make.
Old February 3rd 15, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
B00ze/Empire

On 2015-01-31 03:51, Paul wrote:

B00ze/Empire wrote:
[...]

Wow, that article comparing all the Asus boards is great for its
pictures, especially the angled Hero picture. You are right, below, it
does look like the heatsinks on all of the ASUS boards are about as high
as the DIMM sockets (or a tiny tiny bit higher).

It looks to me, like someone is trying to bring the top of that two-piece
heatsink, to the same height as an installed (regular) DIMM PCB.

It looks about the same height as the DIMM sockets to my eyes...

The way they make and "dress" these now, they're not content to use
the simplest geometric shapes (flat top), so you cannot be
absolutely certain of the dimensions.

Lol, ya, like it makes a difference...

If I use an engineering drawing of a DIMM socket, the clearance
there suggests 26mm to the latch (rotational clearance zone).
It's 22.8mm in the closed position. These come in all sizes though,
with standard, low profile, very low profile, and I assume I got a
standard one in the following document. It seems to line up roughly
with my Asus board from August of this year (24mm by measurement).
(It's hard to see in there, and I couldn't really see the plastic
scale all that well.)

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/782940001_sd.pdf

So my guess as to the height of the plastic dressing on top
of the two-piece VCore heatsink, is 30mm.

Good, good! Plenty of room! They just look so big on pictures...
Thanks, I feel fine now :-) That board isn't perfect (Intel doesn't have
enough PCI express lanes in the Southbridge; use something on a board,
like the M2 slot, and you loose something else) but then all the boards
are the same for that...

And my DDR3 DIMM sockets were the "single latch" design, which means
ejection doesn't really work all that well. Yours might be the same.
Some people seem to like those, but they get a "meh" from me. I know
the single latch design, was used so DIMM slots could be butted up
against the back of a video card, but I still don't like it. Now they
use them, even when the design doesn't call for them.

Ya, same here, not a big fan of single latch.

Thanks a lot!
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Member-+-David-Suzuki-Foundation/EFF/Planetary-Society-+-
oO-( )-Oo Gravity is a myth The earth sucks.