can I set a TFT to highter than native resolution?

Old November 2nd 09, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Greg N.

Default can I set a TFT to highter than native resolution?

This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is, say,
1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
degradation.

I'm still using a CRT, but I am going to get me a good PVA TFT soon. If
I can get away with a moderately priced 22" PVA, that's what I'd prefer.
--
Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Old November 2nd 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Greg N.:
This may seem like a strange question. Can I set a TFT to a higher
than optimum resolution? I mean, if the TFT's native resolution is, say,
1280x1024, can I set it to 1600x1200?

It depends on the monitor. For example, some LCD TVs allow higher inputs
(i.e. 1920x1080) than the native resolution of the TFT panel (i.e.
1366x720). While this however is rare at generic monitors, newer
monitors with HDMI input may also accept higher resolutions than the
native resolution.

Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Yes, it is possible. However, outside from HDTV (to display HD1080
signals on HD720 monitors) I am not aware of any monitor that can do that.

Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
degradation.

1600x1200 exceeds a standard HD1080 (1920x1080) resolution so I doubt
you will find any TFT that can do what you want.

Benjamin
Old November 3rd 09, 07:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Yes, I know, that will, at best, degrade the image quality but won't
produce a higher visible resolution. But is it at all possible?

Maybe. It depends on the maker of the panel and how they choose to handle
this. I have an older Samsung 15" Syncmaster LCD panel that does not care
too much about being driven past its resolution limit of 1024x768. It will
complain with an onscreen warning, and the display itself is "compacted" to
the point where nothing is clear. But it will definitely sync up at up to
1280x1024.

How do I know? Well, it seems that various Linux distributions think the
panel has a native resolution of 1152x864 or so...and so I just decided one
day to see how far beyond that it would go.

I don't know if later Samsung panels support this or not.

William

Old November 3rd 09, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Massimo Rosen

Hi,

"Greg N." wrote:

Why would I want to do that? Well, occasionally, I need to run at
1600x1200, and do screenshots at that resulution. I'm hoping this will
produce screenshots that are actually 1600x1200 in size - without
degradation.

With most graphic cards, you should be able to do that, by setting the
desktop area to 1600x1200. It won't fit on the screen (which will still
show just the native resolution of your display) so that you have to
scroll (by moving the mouse to the screen edges), but it should be fine
for your purpose.

CU,
Massimo
Old November 3rd 09, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Greg N.

Massimo Rosen wrote:

With most graphic cards, you should be able to do that, by setting the
desktop area to 1600x1200.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about that? On my catalyst control
center, under "display properties", I can set the "desktop area" - but
that changes the resolution, rather than creating a virtually larger
desktop like you described.

Old November 4th 09, 12:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Elmer Fudd

William R. Walsh wrote:

Maybe. It depends on the maker of the panel and how they choose to handle
this. I have an older Samsung 15" Syncmaster LCD panel that does not care
too much about being driven past its resolution limit of 1024x768. It will
complain with an onscreen warning, and the display itself is "compacted" to
the point where nothing is clear. But it will definitely sync up at up to
1280x1024.

How do I know? Well, it seems that various Linux distributions think the
panel has a native resolution of 1152x864 or so...and so I just decided one
day to see how far beyond that it would go.

I don't know if later Samsung panels support this or not.

William

I have an HDTV projector that can do that too and it is an option the
manufacturer (BenQ) claims makes the image look better. All it does
though is downscale the 1920x1080 input signal to 1280x720 and I don't
see any benefit to doing that at all.
Old November 4th 09, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Elmer Fudd

Greg N. wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about that? On my catalyst control
center, under "display properties", I can set the "desktop area" - but
that changes the resolution, rather than creating a virtually larger
desktop like you described.

I think you might need to download Hydravision from ATI. I've never done
that but he is saying to force the desktop to overscan to 1600x1200 and
Hydravison may have that option.
Old November 4th 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Greg N.

Elmer Fudd wrote:

I think you might need to download Hydravision from ATI. I've never done
that but he is saying to force the desktop to overscan to 1600x1200 and
Hydravison may have that option.

I do have Hydravision, it was installed with the CCC. I have skimmed
the help, it says that Hydravision is used "to manage desktop displays
and workspaces in multi-display environments". I did not find anything
about larger-than-real desktop sizes other than in conjunction with
multiple displays.

Old November 4th 09, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Elmer Fudd

Greg N. wrote:

I do have Hydravision, it was installed with the CCC. I have skimmed
the help, it says that Hydravision is used "to manage desktop displays
and workspaces in multi-display environments". I did not find anything
about larger-than-real desktop sizes other than in conjunction with
multiple displays.

OK, was just a guess. Try Powerstrip to do it.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/