gateway notebook boot error

Old April 27th 05, 11:28 PM
snakeyes37

Default gateway notebook boot error

Hi, I've been having this problem for atleast two months now. I tried
fixing it myself for several weeks, but I finally gave up and sent it
into gateway so that they could fix it. I got the computer back about
2 weeks after sending it in and almost immediately the same problem
happens again no more then about an hour or so after opening it up
out of the box. This problem started happening about two months ago,
I reformatted the hdd and re-installed xp using the blue oem cd the
gateway gave me with the computer. Okay so after all the formatting
and installing windows I got all the windows updates, sp2, installed
all my spyware, anti-virus, turned on the sp2 firewall on, etc etc.
So after doing that for a few hours I put the computer into standby
mode. Leave it off for about 8 hours or so. I turn it back on and
maybe 30 minutes or later the computer really seems to be lagging
alot, it eventually freezes and locks up. I have no choice but to
press the power button and manual shut it off, okay. So now I press
the power button and it boots back up, but it seems to stop and
freeze at the Gateway Splash screen for maybe like a minute or two,
after that a black screen comes up with the following error message.

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2002 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

BIOS version 38.00.35
System ID = 31662677
Build Time: 03/12/03 12:39:09

CPU = Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz
503M System RAM Passed
256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Mouse initialized
ERROR
0211: Keyboard Error
ERROR
0260: System timer error

Press F1 to resume, F2 to Setup

I tried pressing F1 and F2 but nothing works. Sometimes I can get
lucky and actually boot up to Windows XP and it seems to work fine
for about 30 - 2 hours before it totally locks up and requires the
power button to be pressed, and then I get the same error all over
again. This is a really weird boot error I seem to be getting. I've
tried re-formatting the hdd and re-installing windows xp 4 times
already with no success. I just continue to get the same error
message over and over again. I've tried reseating the memory ram and
the hdd, still I get the same error message. I have a Gateway 400VTX
notebook, Intel Celeron 2.2GHz processor, 512mb ram, 40gb hdd.
Running Windows XP Home. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I've
come to several conclusions of my own, the hdd could be bad or the
motherboard could be bad. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old May 5th 05, 10:17 AM
Smith

It probably won't work because that keyboard error probably isn't a real
keyboard error, but try an external keyboard just for the hell of it.
Sounds like a board issue really...how did Gateway "fix" it for you exactly?

news:8df95$42701227$455da0d2$3240@allthenewsgroups .com...