P4P deluxe temp & OC questions

Old July 21st 03, 08:37 PM
Shaun

Default P4P deluxe temp & OC questions

P4P Deluxe /2.6c

I ran the system at 10% OC (2.86) and the Asus probe shows the same
36/37c idle temp and after 15 minutes of online wolfensteins enemy
territory showed 47c in the bios after an immediate reboot. The bios
shows higher idle temps than the asus probe but almost the same gaming
temps. Are my in a safe temp range ? Can I lower these temps a bit by
cleaning the supplied thermal pad off and going with something like
artic silver 3 ? I'm reluctant to try a 20% OC but has anyone else
tried this with a 2.6c. I know I read the 2.4c OC's well but I don't
want to burn this system up. Also, using the bios OC setting of 5%/10%
etc is the bios making vcore adjustments as well ?

thanks

Old July 21st 03, 09:02 PM
**Jerry**

Is your motherboard P4P800 deluxe?

Old July 22nd 03, 08:42 AM
**Jerry**

From my previous post:

Motherboard is P4P800 deluxe with 1008 BIOS.
CPU is 2.4 GHz at 800 MHz quadpumped bus (200 MHz FSB).
Memory is Kingmax 2x256 Mb PC-400.
At default voltages I can reach 250 MHz FSB (1 Ghz quadpumped bus) for a 3
GHz speed with Intel boxed cooler. Memory ratio must be lowered to 320 MHz
because setting it to fixed ratio doesn't keep a memory speed at that fixed
speed. Why? At 320 Mhz memory is running 4:5 ratio (4:5=320:400 Mhz, your
memory is running at 320 MHz and CPU at 400 MHz). Pushing FSB up is pushing
up memory speed as well so if you push your FSB to 215 MHz (860 MHz
quadpumped for CPU) it is pushing memory to 430 MHz at 1:1 ratio but only at
344 MHz at 4:5 ratio (4:5=344:430 MHz). With that calculation you can see
that at 250 MHz FSB and 4:5 ratio (or 320 MHz selected in BIOS) your RAM is
running at 400 MHz DDR speed. The most confusing thing is that 320 and 400
MHz speeds displayed during boot and in BIOS ARE NOT a final and locked
speeds of your memory. It will be better to be shown and understood as
memory:CPU ratio - 320 MHz is in fact 4:5 ratio and 400 MHz is in fact 1:1
ratio - and if you push up your FSB you are pushing up your memory speed. It
is not locked as your AGP speed. This is preventing many users to overclock
their computers.
Hope that this is a clue to someone who is going crazy not be able to
overclock...
Thanks to "Uncle Maddog" and "jaeger" for answers in previous post.

FYI, my CPU temperature is 3-4° higher at 3 GHz compared to 2.4 GHz.