noisy power supply

Old May 2nd 04, 03:42 PM
Cai

Default noisy power supply

Hello,

My PC has a Raidmax switching power (model: RD-350W) which was
manufactured in 07/2003. During winter time, I noticed that
whenever I turned on the power, there was some noise that
could last for several minutes and then it would calm down
to its normal state. However, recently this noise became
a lot worse. Each time when I turn the power on, it is very
loud and the noisy buzz last longer and does not seem to calm
down completely before it goes up again. Of course, it is still
most noisy right after power on. I confirmed that the noise was
caused by the power supply by temporarily turned off the CPU fan.
The noisy sound does not seem to be caused by the internal fan
of the power supply.

My PC appears to continue work though. Has someone had similar
experience on this? I would like to know what caused this kind
of noisy sound. Is this dangerous? Should I replace the power
supply with a new one?

Thanks,
Caihong
Old May 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
*Vanguard*

"Cai" said in om:
[...]

Turn on the computer. Stick a wood popsicle stick in the fan grill of
the power supply to *momentarily* stop its fan from spinning? Does the
noise go away?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:08 PM
Aaron

"*Vanguard*" wrote in message ...
"Cai" said in om:
[...]

Preferably put the popsicle stick in before power on, to avoid
snapping fan blades off. Otherwise, have fun.
Old May 3rd 04, 03:48 PM
Ron Cook

Old May 3rd 04, 08:02 PM
jay

yup the bearings are failing. Invest in a good psu like HEC.