How big is YOUR hard drive??

Old April 27th 04, 01:26 AM
WATTAGE

Default How big is YOUR hard drive??

Hello, The whole point of this is just for fun and to get an idea of
what people are really running these days, so tell us: How big is YOUR
hard drive(s)? I have A WD 200GB plus two raided (RAID-0) 60GB making
320 GB total on my main computer. My second computer uses a WD 40GB,
my server has a WD20GB and my old laptop has a 12GB Fujitsu (i think).
Old April 27th 04, 02:26 AM
Zebedee

But your two raided 60gb drives are a total of 60gb.

My server has two 40gb raid pairs. My PC has a 40gb raid pair. My mother's
PC had a 4gb raid pair.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old April 27th 04, 07:54 AM
tarl smith

Since you ask...

....I have tiny hard disks

PC1: 14GB & 6GB (I keep them as C & D even though XP allows you to 'merge' them)
PC2: 4GB & 4 GB (Again Kept Seperate)
PC3: 4GB

Im going to add another 2GB to PC2 and 4GB to PC3

So that makes total:

PC1: 20GB
PC2: 10GB
PC3: 8GB

As you can magine copying things such as DVD's is tight, even on the 20GB Machine

Tarl
Old April 27th 04, 02:07 PM
Aaron

Well, I have a Maxtor 120GB and Seagate Barracuda 20GB. I got the
20GB for free, from my dad's office. Just thought I'd make you
jealous there.
I don't have a RAID setup or anything; how much faster is it?

Also, when you have RAID-0, I believe you actually get the combined
disk space of both, Tarl. RAID-0 actually offers no redundancy,
because the files are just spread out over two disks, so that the
process of reading a file is faster because it has data coming from
two places at once. I've heard of people saying RAID-0 isn't really
even RAID, because it isn't a "Redundant Array of Identical Disks." I
think RAID-1 is when you have two with exactly the same data on both
of them.

Just thought I'd clear that up,
Aaron
Old April 28th 04, 02:09 AM
Tom

Its correct what Aaron says about RAID - RAID-0 will provide the
combined capacity of the 2 (or more) drives in the array. RAID-1
simply mirrors one drive onto another, but in real time, so if one
goes down the other takes over, however this is not particularly fast,
as the controller must do each write twice. RAID-5 is the best setup,
combining the best of both worlds. Data is spread over 3 or more
disks, with parity (recovery) information being also spread over the 3
(or more) disks. So, if disk 3 = disk 1 + disk 2 then disk 2 = disk 3
- disk 1. However this takes place not for the entire disk at once,
but for each stripe.

Regarding hard drives, I have 2 40Gb ATA-133 Maxtor drives on a RAID-0
array, also an 80Gb IBM DeskStar (hasn't failed yet...) and also a
10Gb drive for linux, thus giving a total of 170Gb.

- Tom
Old April 28th 04, 07:20 AM
SamB

"Zebedee" wrote in message ...
But your two raided 60gb drives are a total of 60gb.

Actually, since he said they are in RAID-0, he would have the full
120GB space.

Storage Server: 3x120GB (360GB total); and a single 80GB drive for the
OS

HTPC: 60GB

Main PC: 120GB

Laptop: 30GB

Then i've got a few other old laptops that i loan out to
friend's/family when they need them w/ 6GB drives in each.

Total physical space: 650GB (not counting older laptops)
Old May 3rd 04, 01:10 AM
Garrett C.

80GB in my main computer. One big arse NTFS partition.

30 GB in both my 'router' and my laptop. The router (30.7GB,
according to the box) is also set to one partition.

Both of these machines are running Windows 2000 Pro.

The laptop is 30GB, but has three partitions, just for messing around
with. All started from one partition, I would use partition magic to
create the other two at different times. I believe I have it set up
as:

17 GB C:\ Windows ME
8 G D:\ Windows 2K Pro
5 F:\ (CD ROM stole my E:\ drive letter, and I was too lazy to change
it, lol) Windows Longhorn 4053 Alpha. lol... *shhhhhhh*

But I was just playin' around with all of this. My LCD on my laptop
is burnt out right now, so I'm waiting for an RMA, when it gets back,
I'll probably reformat it all into one partition again. I'm just a
sucker for all of my storage in once place, even though I know (all
too well) that can usually end in desaster.

Nu