A7V (rev 1.02) BIOS Update & 48-bit/LBA ?

Old November 10th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
tbl

Default A7V (rev 1.02) BIOS Update & 48-bit/LBA ?

With the A7B rev 1.02/KT133 Mainboard, which BIOS update
secures compatibility with 48-bit/LBA drives? Some say
1010, and others say 1011.

System is Win2kSP4; Athlon 800, 1GB RAM.

I have had 1010 in place for several years, and would rather
not change. But now I have a new 160GB installed, and have
had some odd errors.

Only *after* installing the new drive and placing my data on
it did I learn about the requirement for LBA.

Win2k is running well when it runs, but occasionally will
BSOD at boot, and then boot ok after a restart.

PartInfo (PowerQuest) reports an error: #109, partition end
is past the end of the drive (as I recall the wording). That
sounds pretty scary to me.

What I'd *like* to do, is:

1. Make the registry change in Win2k.
2. Boot to DOS.
3. Update the BIOS (only if necessary).
4. FDISK to set LBA for the new drive.
5. Boot to Win2k and still have all my data!

Any thoughts appreciated.
--
tbl
Old November 11th 06, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Daniel Mandic

tbl wrote:

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi!

Leave (spare) out some Megabytes or a Gigabyte, at the end of the
Harddisk.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

HDD Compatibility Samik R Homebuilt PC's 11 February 3rd 06 10:40 AM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
SP2 - need to update BIOS? Steve Dell Computers 25 September 5th 04 09:40 AM
Is Bios update needed for all new boxed retail P4P800 mbs? Randy O. Asus Motherboards 3 July 31st 03 04:49 PM
Asus A7PRO (rev. 1.02) Bios update problem Jmax Asus Motherboards 1 July 23rd 03 11:11 PM